Friday, July 02, 2010

Snippets


* And just how would you caption that?

* That Vermont shirt he is wearing in the photo I got for one dollar! At the sidewalk sale there was a bin where everything was a dollar and you know those kinds of things are like the flame to my inner moth so I ruffled through it and realized nothing was in my size. There was plenty in Serge's size though. Turns out he loves that shirt and wishes I had bought more. I'll make a spendthrift out of him yet.

* The mother-in-law's surgery went flawlessly and the good news is that the cancer is stage one (for the moment, have to wait for the tumor analysis) and they think they got it all out and she's recovering nicely. Did you know that it costs $12 a day for the tv to work in your cubicle at the hospital? That surprised me, but I guess when the medical care is free, they've got to find ways to offset costs.

* As for the utensil dilemma from the last post, there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I'm going to try to get him to make the steak knives and butcher knives pointing down. The rest doesn't bother me much.

* Yesterday was a big milestone for me (as noted on Facebook) as it was 2 years cigarette free for this boy. I love everything about being a non-smoker except for the 20 extra pounds. That said, I actually look more normal now. Whenever I look at other 45 year olds, by and large there has been some middle aged spread.

* The magazine picture of Serge and I was taken (to answer commenter queries) separately of him and me. The bubbles were a pain in the ass! I'm surprised they got two shots as well as they did. While one of us posed the other plus the assistant photographer madly blew bubbles as fast as possible. It's not as easy as you think! And we got covered with liquid soap in the process. You should have seen our shoes.

* I'm getty giddy about my upcoming California trip. I'm taking the new Air Canada flight into John Wayne airport. (Much more convenient for me than LAX) I've got to connect in Toronto but that's easy. Air Canada is great because you don't have to worry about checked bag charges and they have those free personal video systems in the seats like JetBlue does.

* I think Georgie needs to be enrolled in a 12 step program. Shiteaters anonymous.

* It's not supposed to rain the next few days so I'm going to waterseal all the patios and balconies at the other building today. See how fun landlording is?

* Here's wishing a nice long holiday weekend to my American peeps. In honor of the 4th, I will be making hotdogs on the grill and thinking of y'all. Later gaters!

18 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Have a hotdog for me! Happy Weekend!

Blobby said...

Whenever I look at other 45 year olds, by and large there has been some middle aged spread.

Oh,I KNOW you' weren't talking about me!

It is not just Canada who charges for television. Maybe all US hospitals do not, but where I used to work (and this years ago), you had to opt out of using the TV so they didn't charge you. Easier to charge them if they're not aware there will be one.

Have a great holiday.

Snooze said...

What a great Serge/Georgie pic!

The tv charges at hospital are criminal. People are stuck in those beds.

Anonymous said...

Loving the picture of Serge and Georgie. Caption: ...so have you been flossing? ted

Anonymous, too said...

Congratulations on two years without cigarettes, and I'm glad to hear your MIL is doing well!

Photo caption: "I knew you ate the last of the Oreos!"

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your two year anniversary!

GayProf said...

Yay for being smokefree! And thrifty! And for having access to decent airlines!

Patricia said...

PHEW for good MIL news!

John Wayne is SO much better than LAX, very wise.

Happy Fourth, ya transplanted American!

Lemuel said...

I am very happy to read the news on the MIL and I am also *very* happy to hear that you are two years free!!
Some of my very favorite t-shirts were from such bargain bins. Unfortunately, until I regain control over the weight the pickin's are slim to none in my size. :(

Maurice said...

Now let me see... A caption for that photo? How about, "Georgie's so smart that he even shows Serge how to open his mouth the next time he goes to the dentist."

Anonymous said...

My hospital has FREE TV!!! But, it's the children's hospital. Free TV is the only way to keep everyone--adults and kids alike--sane, relatively calm and safe. We also only have the crank beds on the wards (ICU has electric beds)--can you imagine letting kids play with those buttons?!

Caption for the photo:
"I wanna play the lion!" "No, I get to play the lion!" "No, me"...

anne marie in philly said...

serge and georgie compete in the "who has the shittiest breath" contest

dykewife said...

don't put your sharp knives in the dishwasher. it ruins the edge. hand wash them in hot soapy water (don't let them soak in it) rinse them, and let them air dry or dry them with a towel and put them away as usual.

have fun in california.

my word verification is "eyerib" here i thought it was rib eye :)

Rick Bettencourt said...

"Ahhhh! There's the remote."

rox said...

Do you know it costs $47 per day to be on a long-term care bed waiting list? Yah. Old age.

Try switching Georgie's food again. Something high in fibre so he feels fuller. Or give him poop pills. Shit breath is the worst!

dpaste said...

Love the photos, both yours and the magazine's.

Well, this almost-45-year-old will happily look abnormal for as long as he can. I refuse to succumb to middle aged spread. Doesn't mean I don't eat ice cream or pasta or cupcakes, just not every day or in bulk.

Nick UK said...

Great news about your MIL, will keep my fingers crossed that all the biopsy results are good.
We have pay for tv in british hospitals, but atleast it means you can choose not to have the tv on, better than the old days where the ward tv was always on. In the childrens wards the tv is free.

Back of seat TVs are great but my spouse who is 6'4 finds that it's hard to ajust the angle so he can see the screen.

Good luck with Geogies training programme.

Rebekah said...

Just what is Serge doing with poor Georgie's mouth stretched so wide open?