Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hellishness

As I head out this morning (And I say that bitterly, since the sun isn't even up yet) I am remembering this quote from Einstein:

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Something to chew on.

6 comments:

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Take a deep breath

and it isn't that bad afterall is it...?

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

PS: wow you remembered that Einstein quote! ;-)

I'm not good at remembering things like that, i'm a more pictorial person.

dantallion said...

...to embrace all living creatures

Of course, based on the link cited below, it could be said that some people carry that idea a tad too far...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8589349/

_Psycho said...

I was about to say too: You remember all that quote ? Geesh.

Dantallion, nice news there... ;)

r said...

Way too much thinking and far too impressive to be writing this before dawn.

(But I liked the quote,)

tornwordo said...

Well it's not a quote that I actually lodge in my brain, more like one I occasionally glance at on a piece of paper where such things are written.

Dantallion, definitely too far. (wink)