Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Technology sucks

Ok, the router shuts itself off and restarts every 90 seconds. It started to do this yesterday. What this means is that you can use the internet at our house once every 5 minutes for about a minute. It's taken me a half hour alone just to get to this screen to post something to the blog.

After calling the internet company, they blamed a) the new phone that we bought b) that maybe the phone company desyncronized us (we have DSL) c) a virus.

Ok, a ) we've had the phone for three days, but the problem just started b) the phone company desyncronized us - wouldn't we be unable to ever connect in this case? and c) our antivirus is strong and updated daily - we've scanned the 'puters and no virus found to boot.

I like the virus idea, that could be fixed on our end. And interestingly, it's the router, not the modem that is resetting itself.

Hey Fernando and Psycho, you're IT guys, what the fuck?

I'm grouchy and this is not what the intended post was for today.

Sometimes I hate technology. You know if your button falls off or your chair breaks, it's easy to repair with simple materials procured from local merchants. If you have some high tech device, try getting it repaired.

I once took my electric piano in for a problem with one of the keys. It was under warranty. Though declared "fixed" twice, the problem never fully went away. And the shop had it for over four months.

Jesus H Christ on a stick, I may have to start blogging from the library computers. (If that's possible.)

5 comments:

r said...

Oh Torn. I feel your pain. God. I hate when things go wrong that I can't fix. And when everyone thinks they have the answer, but no one else really knows what's wrong either.

How did you even get this much posted?

tornwordo said...

Now, magically it's working. It just as mysteriously stopped resetting itself but now I have to go to work.

Will it still be working when I get home?

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Yes it's still working for me ;-)

Wow Katrina was a big un, bless those poor souls caught up in it though.

_Psycho said...

Good question there, you could always do a firmware update. There was some security fixes regarding that on some router, especially Linksys models. That's could help, or it's really your router and you have to get a new one..

Just Me said...

blogging from the library computers...that's great...and why was your weekend so boring????(comment from psycho's site)...you look too cute to have a boring weekend!!!