Sunday, August 07, 2005

On the shores of Lac Megantic


I am so attracted by some aspects of country life. Being close to nature and its marvels is very appealing, and the wide open space gives a sense of freedom to this boxed in city boy. Our friends reside in a "residential" area where the plots are thickly forested with clearings and sum five acres each. The road is not paved. The loudest sounds are generally generated by wind and birds. We roasted marshmallows around a campfire set up in their "yard". Since they live there, our friends took us to secret spots including a public beach on Lake Megantic where there was no one but us, and then this morning to a woody canyon where a river cascades down giant boulders with little pools under each chute. We swam, Sara swam, not another human around.

But.

When I wanted to update the blog yesterday since they are connected to the internet, I quickly found a huge drawback to country life - no high speed access available. It took me over an hour to connect, check my email, access the blog and write a miniscule post.

I remember the days of slow internet, when the internet was a loathesome beast to consider using due to all the wait time for everything to appear on the screen.

I can't go back. So it looks like I'll be visiting the country until they work that thing there out.

1 comment:

Nyum said...

Awww, what a cute couple. Nice photo