Thursday, August 27, 2009

Garden snippets

* My student was recovering from gum surgery yesterday and canceled class so I headed over to the botanical gardens for a stroll. Look, a purple pea pod.

* This reminds me that summer is quickly coming to an end up here. We're not even supposed to get out of the 60s today and tomorrow.

* These are always "mexican skirt flowers" in my mind. Yes, I know it's hibiscus but that sounds like some sort of fungal infection. I like my nomenclature better.

* I wanted to but didn't. If I'd been in the wild there would have been no question. I'm not sure what the policy is at the gardens about grazing. I'm assuming they frown on it.

* The koi in the Japanese garden are so big. And they beg for food like dogs. Someone had some bread and they slithered and writhed all over each other to get a handout.

* I don't understand how they can survive the winter here. After researching a bit, they can survive an iced over pond as long as there is some liquid water. I figure the gardens must keep the pond warm enough for the koi to survive.

* I'm so mesmerized by the lotus flower. From the rot comes exquisite beauty.

* This was cool. I haven't walked through the greenhouse for quite a while. There was this new tree in there with a wrought iron fence around it. Wow, must be something special I thought. Turns out it is the rarest tree in the world with only 100 growing in the wild. It was discovered in 1994 and is so different from anything we know, they had to add a new genus to the plant world.

* When I got back, I played some scramble (boggle) on Facebook. I loved this guy's made up name.

12 comments:

Fresco said...

I think I'm going to call those flowers in my garden also "mexican skirt flowers". Bien trouvé!

Java said...

I have never liked hibiscus flowers, but by naming them "Mexican skirt flowers" somehow that makes them more appealing.

The rare tree: that's just COOL!!! All of a sudden I want to visit Montreal and see the rare tree. And Tornwordo. And Serge. The fact that it's in the 60s instead of the low 90s is very appealing as well.

Lemuel said...

I'll add my smile to your comment about the Mexican skirt flowers. I would have never thought of that, perhaps because of the culture in which I have lived. Now that I have read your nickname for the flower, it will stick in my mind. It seems very appropriate.

Rox said...

Gum surgery? OW!

Anonymous said...

The koi in our pond hibernate in the bottom of the pond every winter. It’s about five feet deep in the so only top few inches freeze. We keep the pump and running so the water stays oxygenated. On warm winter days they will swim around for a bit but usually don’t get too active until spring.

lattégirl said...

Nice pictures :)

A Lewis said...

I'm not quite sure that I'm ready for all of this to go away.....I could use another few months of it.

Petie said...

If you like Lotus, come to Thailand one day :)

Lotus is sacred here and often use as offering to the monks and statues of both Buddhism and Brahms religion here ;)

Luuworld said...

nice pictures. i love koi fish and lotus flowers!

GayProf said...

Fish kinda creep me out. Can't explain it -- All the gills and such just seem, well, creepy.

Anonymous said...

Great pix. It's still in the mid 70's to mid 80's here so the cold weather is a couple months away.

Greg said...

Oh, fun...I was hoping to hear more of your visit to the BG. LOVE the purple pea pod. And here's another vote for mexican skirt flower; the common names are always the best, anyway.

Torn, I'm disappointed in you. They can only frown about the raspberries if they catch you. : )