Sunday, May 08, 2011

Yummification


That's the slow cooked tuna belly we feasted on last night. It's bigger than it looks in the photo. It was a bargain at $28. I've had two little pieces of toro (tuna belly) at a sushi bar for $15 and this was like twenty times the quantity. This part of the tuna I think of as tuna butter because the meat just melts in your mouth and is all rich and buttery. The restaurant is very small and we arrived 20 minutes before they opened to find a line 12 people deep waiting to get in. Most of the customers waiting were Asian so I knew we were in for an authentic treat.

The shrimp okonomiyaki was to die for. I haven't had it since I was treated to it by my Japanese students four years or so ago. The best way I can describe it was that it was like a party in my mouth. I'm drooling just thinking about it. We also had octopus skewers (the tenderest I've ever had) and tuna and salmon tartare. Oh and a pitcher of Sapporo. I feel like we have our own Nobu here now at a fraction of the price. Serge and I are planning a Hong Kong (where we met) slash Tokyo (where I've wanted to go forever) trip for our twentieth anniversary and I can not wait to pig out in Japan.

I still want to go to Nobu when we are in New York City in a couple of weeks even though it costs the eyes of your head to go there. (That's a little French expression that doesn't quite translate.) Oh and I got tickets to Priscilla Queen of the Desert - second row orchestra! (Thanks to commenter Jeffrey C for the link! The Book of Mormon was over $275 for a ticket, so we opted for the campy and got tix for 35% off. Now we don't have to wait in line at TKTS) At that distance from the stage we'll likely be sprayed by singer spittle and hopefully this will prevent Serge from falling asleep like he did last time we saw a musical on Broadway. (I'm still flabbergasted that he did that, but he can sleep anywhere in any environment it seems.)

Well, I've got to get a move on. Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mom and to all the moms out there. We really couldn't exist without you! Oh and one last thing. An old pic of Georgie that was gathering dust in Serge's iphone. The tuna picture above was taken with his phone since I didn't have my camera with me and the Georgie pic was an added bonus discovery. Have a lovely week peeps!

15 comments:

Rox said...

It costs the eyes of your head is going to be my new favorite saying! :)

This post made me feel like I gained weight. Glad you found a new place to get your grub on!

GayProf said...

Yay for good food and New York fun times!

Unknown said...

very very nice pic of Georgie. The seafood didn't thrill me so much, but I do miss Okonomiyaki... yummers. I saw Priscilla in London, I'm interested to see what you think of it.

Will J said...

Let me guess, Georgie has destroyed a pillow or stuffed toy and spread the filling around -- and he just got caught (look at the eyes). Don't ask me how I know this.

Mark My Words said...

I had a feeling you were referring to Kazu. Every time I pass by at dinner time, there is a line up outside. Aparently, it is the only authentic isakaya in Montreal so cannot wait to try it out soon.

Have fun in NYC!

CoffeeDog said...

Costs the eyes of your head, sorta like an arm and a leg in english. Donne moi la phrase en francais, svp :-)

Blobby said...

I LOVE Serge. I have been to a number of B'Way plays I could totally have slept through.

Unknown said...

Hello my friend, Your site is great, good job you do.
I also created many blogs but not good like yours, I mean the visitors.So

Please
could you exchange link with me?
Here are my blogs. you could choose to exchange ,
http://xguymedia.blogspot.com/
http://mediagays.blogspot.com/
Thanks you for your kinds.

Anonymous, too said...

Georgie: "Go away. I haven't finished disemboweling it yet."

Patricia said...

Ooooh look at those guilty eyes. He's even cute when he's being naughty!

The seafood sounds delish and I envy you your trip to NYC. Have something awesome in Chinatown for me!

Jeffrey C said...

Glad you put the link to good use. Priscilla is one big music and dance number after another with crazy fun costumes. I recommend a cocktail or two in advance and go in expecting a night of disco hits more than an artfully-developed book musical and you'll have a great time. But so see Mormon when you can. It's a hoot.

Luuworld said...

mm. you just made my mouth water. i want a party in my mouth too! lol. oh and i hope you make it to japan. the food there....your mouth (and tummy) will be partying all the time!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That does look good. I don't dig on seafood. But that pic could convert me.

fromsophiesview said...

Georgie....wtg....yesssss to stuffing!

Snooze said...

I adore your descriptions of food. I love how you eat what you want for treats out but manage to stick to portion control and working out the rest of the time.