* After touring the new bus facility last weekend, they sent me a photo which they had taken of us during the event. They had this green scrim around an elastic headband that, when put on, circled your face with green. Then they took a close-up and later sent the photo of me as "bus driver for a day". For years when I was a kid, I wanted to be a bus driver. After all, what could be cooler than driving a big contraption all day and saying hi to everyone? Later I learned that bus driver is one of the most stressful jobs there are. Still, I sometimes wonder what my life would be like had I gone that route. (oh look, a pun)
* Had one of those emotional ambushes yesterday (thanks for that term Patrick) while I was making a batch of tuna salad. I realized that Serge's dad had had some of my last batch when he came over last month. Serge didn't see me tear up thankfully. Not that I'm shy about it, just don't want to set him off too. I remember Jacques commenting that he liked the spiciness and being surprised when I told him it was tabasco.
* One weird thing about all this tragedy is how much closer Serge and I seem. It's like we are clinging tighter or something. We are both professing our love for one another more frequently. I don't really understand why but I definitely like it.
* Sent a menacing letter to the tenant downstairs who is still without (the rest of the ) money for September's rent. Yesterday was the day we could go start eviction proceedings but we aren't going to do that...yet. He's a good guy and he started a new job yesterday and should be able to square up when his unemployment check arrives. It was delayed for some reason that I am aware of but don't care about. Is no me problem. Nonetheless, I started thinking about solutions and I had the idea that maybe he could work a little rent off so I pitched to him a little painting work which he seems eager to do.
* I was filling out something the other day and when I clicked age group 35-44, I made a little gasp because I realized it's the last year I can click that category. The next one is 45-54 and that doesn't really jive with my mental view of myself. It jives quite accurately with my body's take on things.
* Is there any rhyme or reason as to why hard boiled eggs are sometimes easy to shell while others in the same batch are heinously unwilling to be shelled? Or why sometimes the shell part insists on having an eighth of an inch of white come off along with it? I've tried shelling them warm, cold, after rapidly chilled, after slowly brought to room temperature. There's always that one that won't cooperate.
* Did you see that whorl thing about how the counterclockwise whorl in the hair at the top of your head occurs statistically significantly more frequently on homo heads? In the population as a whole it occurs 8% of the time, gay guys 29% of the time. Mine is clockwise but Serge's isn't. The easiest way is to ask someone to check for you. If you're already permanently bald in that area, I imagine it's too late unless you have a photograph somewhere.
* My class got cancelled yesterday so I had an unexpected play day yay. I read the other day that curiosity tends to improve intelligence so I've been consciously making an effort to be curious. I already am a curious sort (ha!) but sometimes I'm too busy to be. Anyway, I was wondering about populations and found Wikipedia had all the countries listed by population. That cost me three hours as I clicked on (so frickin) many countries I'd never heard of. At least I knew all the countries that Survivor has done a show on like Palau and Vanuatu. And did you know that India had over a billion people too like China? I had no idea they were so close together in population and then the US is in third place. A very distant third place. California has ten percent more people than all of Canada, the second largest country by land mass.
* We got an official warning from the city yesterday. It came by certified mail. We have to maintain in more orderly condition the foot wide strip of land along the alley in back. It gets pretty overgrown and weedy by this time of year. They gave us three days to reduce the height of any growth to no more than 6 centimeters. Getting a warning like that with a letter talking about "taking pride in our city and maintaining its appearance" made me feel trashy.
* The Emmys were kind of creepy for me. The older Neil gets, the more he reminds me of my ex. Same look, same mannerisms. My ex was adopted. You don't think that they're, nah probably not.