Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Deserts are dry, not hot


Wow, time sure is flowing swiftly. Much like the chocolate in the multi-tiered fountain you see above. Guiness has certified it as the world's largest. That was in the Bellagio in Vegas. Our whirlwind tour of the Southwest US continues and I'm writing to you now from Palm Springs California. Finally, we have been treated to some sunshine and non-frigid temperatures. Seriously, it was snowing in Vegas while we were there. Before that, we were in Long Beach where both Serge and I got flude poisoning (as my friend M calls it, since you never really know if you have the flu or food poisoning but it doesn't really matter, they both suck, so this term covers it) and spent three lovely days suffering in our hotel room. Serge bounced back better than I did, my weakened immune system allowed a fricking cold to segue into my body. It might have helped had I won in Vegas, but no, lady luck was nowhere to be found.

I rented a car of course for all of this gallavanting. This was the first time I've said yes to the gas refueling option and I'll tell you why. The nice girl told me that they fill the tank at $2.99 a gallon while the average price outside was $3.22 a gallon. Well, you know about my frugality problem, I figured if I could bring it back close to being on fumes, I'd come out a winner. Well. What I didn't know is that this little pitch is a LIE. Yes, the new business model is to bald faced lie to your customers. Because while the $3.22 a gallon price quoted includes all taxes, the $2.99 quoted price includes none. And since I was renting from an airport location, the taxes amount to 24%. A more truthful statement would have been that we will fill your tank with gas at $3.70 a gallon. But of course no one would buy it then right? Basically, young workers across the country are trained to swindle you. It just makes me shake my head in disgust. Bright side? Lesson learned. (And the next time I'm given that little pitch, I'm going to mention that I don't appreciate being lied to.)

We are here for a couple more days, gonna go on a hike and shop on El Paseo tomorrow. Thursday is California Adventure day when we will visit Disneyland's sister park. I've never been so I'm looking forward to it. After that we'll camp out at camp mama's before flying home on Monday. It really is a long time to be away from home and this morning I discovered that the mortgage payment wasn't made and the renter's deposit wasn't made either. I have no idea why though I have left messages with people. Hopefully it's just a glitch and won't cause me hideous fees. I've had enough bad luck this week!

Tomorrow is supposed to be 64 degrees. Not hot, but better than any day so far. I will try to stay focused on that! See y'all soon.

20 comments:

A Lewis said...

But wait, I know the taxes are out of this world....but you get charged the taxes on the rental no matter if you choose the gas refuel option or not...right? It's on the whole transaction....right? Not just the fuel part.

tornwordo said...

But the gas is added and then the taxes are applied as a percentage after that.

Also, I just found out the banks are CLOSED Monday and Tuesday up there. That explains it! I will sleep better now.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're rebounding from the flude poisoning.

Let us know what you think of California Adventure.

Snooze said...

You certainly have had a whirlwind trip! Too bad about the sickies, but otherwise it sounds like a great time.

Java said...

Thanks for the info re: refueling options. I rented a car two weeks ago just for the day and took the refueling option. Didn't look closely at the charges, though.

Flude poisoning. Accurate explanation of the effects.

Hope tomorrow is warm (not hot) and sunny and wonderful.

Mark My Words said...

Lying is the new business model sounds about right. Seems everyone is doing it these days but am trying to avoid giving business to the most blatant liars.

Sorry to hear about your flude thing. Hope you guys get good weather and luck for the rest of the trip.

Rick said...

I fell for that gas thing once too but never again as you say. Sorry to hear you got ill on your trip. Hope you're better now.

Maurice said...

Tornwordo wrote: "Also, I just found out the banks are CLOSED Monday and Tuesday up there.

I actually clicked on Sticklers to tell you just that, being I work for a bank. It's odd, though; January 2 -- or this year January 4 because the 2nd fell on a Sunday -- is the only place in Canada to my knowledge where banks are closed. But you certainly didn't hear me complaining, for the reason stated above.

Flude poisoning notwithstanding, it sounds like you're having a great trip. As for lying as the new business model, I just shake my head. That's disgusting.

Maurice said...

Make that ...Québec is the only place in Canada where January 2 blah blah blah.

Must proofread before submitting. Duh!

LOL! Captcha is noerads, which sounds close to "no errors," no?

CoffeeDog said...

The taxes on rental cars and hotels make me seethe, why so high?

Patricia said...

Oh I love Palm Springs. It was the first place I'd ever seen the lovely misting machines to help cool down in that desert heat. I wish we had heaters placed that often on our streets and at businesses here during the winter. I might actually leave the house more often that way.

Enjoy those 60s, I slipped and slid on slippery roads this morning and walked Indi in single digit temps.

Jim said...

Sounds like a great time being had by all! Except of course for the 'sicky days'! Too bad......
Hope the rest of the week in a great one.
Jim

rox said...

When you get back, I'm going to seriously have to sit down with you and have a chat about Vegas.

Sorry to hear about the flude poisoning and following cold. It's probably because you lost all that weight. If you were a chunky monkey like me, you'd be fine.

HAHAH!

GayProf said...

I always figured that the refueling option, because it was convenient, could never be the deal that they promised. But, then, unlike most of my fellow citizens, I assume that corporations are always working against the best interests of consumers.

Cubby said...

"They f___ you at the drive-thru!" This quote almost fits...
Isn't that the usual way of it though? Aren't corporations screwing us enough already? No, they want to get every last penny.

Mark in DE said...

Sorry you were sick on your vacation - that's the worst! Hope you are enjoying the trip anyway.

My adventures said...

Sorry about the flude poisoning, I hate when that happens. Seems I got out of Vegas just in time, sorry I missed you guys. It was freezing the whole time I was there too, but it was nice not feeling to need to venture too far from the hotel. Have a safe flight home! And, thanks for the X-mas card, cute pic!

Laverne said...

Hey, no mention of the wonderful friend you hung out with in Vegas? Harumph!

Rick Bettencourt said...

Have a safe trip back.

Greg said...

Wow, that really is some fountain. Isn't that Augustus Gloop...? Sorry to hear about the flude. I hate being sick away from home.

Can't wait to hear about this sister of Disneyland.