Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend update


Serge says I fall asleep in front of the tv quite often. I never remember really being asleep, just the need to go to bed (and brush my teeth). I couldn't believe it when this picture was in the camera. Not only am I asleep but Georgie is sitting on me as though I'm the throne.  Georgie has been different since we brought him back from the kennel this time. For one thing, he is far more vocal now. He doesn't bark per se, but he howls far more often when he wants something or when he sees a big hairy dog outside. He's always howled at them but it seems more fervent now. Also, I had to take him home from the doggie park early yesterday. He was being very aggressive with the other dogs, trying to dominate the smaller ones and snarling and snapping at the larger dogs that were trying to dominate him. All the while howling at them all. It was the first time I felt embarrassed by my dog and so I picked him up and left.

I remade my work calendar yesterday and it looks so scary for the next couple months. So many classes to give! And they are coming down from the college at my lunch hour this week to discuss picking up more classes. All of this is great but when I look at the calendar, I feel anxious. It's that old immature feeling of, "I just want to bang on my drum all day." By the way, was that code for masturbation? I've always wondered.


We went out last night to a restaurant whose specialty is oysters. Serge and I have pretty much sworn them off after several tries, but Dan, who came with us, tried three cooked versions, plus one in his martini. If you have to doctor up the oyster with goat cheese and barbecue sauce, you really aren't featuring the oyster. I tried a "gingertini" for the first time and it was quite good. Serge and I had mussels and fries which I had purchased prior via one of those "groupon" type deals. Dan also ordered mussels and what was disappointing was that he got far more than we did. The restaurant didn't serve what had been promised with the groupon deal (one pound of mussels), and it was obvious when it was served. Dan clearly had double the portion. We spent loads of other money on drinks and appetizers so they really should have honored their "deal". Instead, we left feeling a bit cheated. When all was said and done I realized we had gotten about a 12% discount on the whole meal, yet they shorted us about 50% on the main course. So instead of wowing us and inspiring us to come back, we feel like going somewhere else. So. Marketing fail.

I will try to pop in this week but I'm working every night except Friday this week in addition to the full-time day gig. If I don't get back here until the weekend, I apologize. Here's another Georgie pick to tide you over. Have a great week!

20 comments:

Rick Bettencourt said...

Bandit was like that the first time I left him at the kennel. He eventually went back to his normal (albeit crazy) self. He's always had a little dominating issues but harmless.

Cute pictures of Georgie, especially atop his throne.

Snooze said...

Zoe (our dog) is weird with Bostons sometimes. Not if she knows one, but if there's a new one in the park. TM said that a Boston came up and snapped at her once and since then she's been on the aggressive.

But oh how cute is Georgie in that pic? I can imagine your surprise at finding that pic in the camera.

Blobby said...

Poor Geo was at the kennel so long this last time, he has to make himself known now. REALLY known.

Oysters. Blech. I re-tried them myself earlier this month. I'm still unchanged....je don't like them.

rox said...

I can't eat oysters! I can eat mussels and clams, but to me, oysters are frigging disgusting. Go figure.

I can't give any dog advice about behaviour, my dog's an asshole.

Mel said...

That makes me think that there was an "incident" at the kennel. I can send you a few training handouts, if you'd like, but I will tell you that fear aggression situations - which is what you're likely describing - can be difficult to work through once they develop. The dog park may need to be off limits for a while.

Mark My Words said...

I've never heard the expression, "bang my own drum" before, although I've heard of "beat my own drum," and even then, I'm not sure.

Jim said...

The same with Sophie....she picked up a few aggressive behaviors (nothing serious) when she went to 'day care' very regularly......all of which disappeared eventually. I LOVE raw oysters, never had them cooked.
Boy, you are working a lot! Get lots of rest, if you can!

Greg said...

I cleared out the remaining supply of oysters at our Staff Party raw bar last night...I just loves them.

What a fun surprise to discover in your camera - great shot of the Little King.

Anonymous, too said...

See? Even Georgie thinks you need more rest -- he's willing to knock you down and sit on you to make sure you get it!

(Great picture, Serge!)

anne marie in philly said...

awwwwww, look at the sleeping beauty in the first picture!

I don't eat oysters, mussels, or clams. oysters always remind me of snot. scallops and shrimp and other fish are just tasty!

Laverne said...

I love the way he's lying on you as if you are just part of the furniture.

Never get tired of the Georgie pics...

Buddy Bear said...

I love oysters only one way, breaded and fried in a tiny bit of butter. Then, serve them in a nice bun so you don't have to look at them while you eat them!

Cubby said...

Oyster in a martini? I just threw up a little in my mouth :-(

GayProf said...

That's too bad about Georgie. Hopefully he will get over his kennel-induced issues soon.

Patricia said...

I love the pic of you and Georgie, and that you were surprised to find the picture. He looks quite comfy up there, I'm just not sure how you were able to sleep with his elbow in your back.

Anonymous said...

A visit to the kennel has honed your dog's killer instincts. Maybe now he'll have the nerve to eat those oysters. Yuck!

LSL said...

As though you're the throne, indeed. Love it. :)

Birdie said...

I love that top photo. King of the hill.

I just can't shake the idea that oysters are members of the phlegm family. Ugh.

fromsophiesview said...

WTG Georgie....keep him down next time!!!

dr. mo said...

Georgie is so cute! You clearly make a rather comfortable bed :)