Sunday, April 15, 2007

Long and fluffy

(Really, it is. I've just read it again, and though I am going to push on the publish button, let me just say there's really nothing of interest today. I suggest you move along instead. )

Looks like we're in the bullseye for the big noreaster snowstorm. Some are saying we'll get a foot of snow overnight. I know I've been whining about snow for a while now, but it would really be something if this ended up being the biggest snowstorm of the year. It only took two days to melt the six inches we got Thursday, so it won't stick around long.

In other news, I've finalized our traveling plans for the year. The folks fly us out to visit twice a year, and I've been watching ticket prices to see if I can jump on any drop in fares. Friday evening I was pleasantly surprised to see a 20% drop, so I booked our July trip and January 2008 trip. But there was this weird thing. If I wanted to fly nonstop to Los Angeles, it was over $650, but if I flew in/out of the Orange County airport, it was $540, connecting to the LA nonstop. Okay, the drive between these two airports is under an hour, but they have a little puddle jumper flying between the two. How does this make sense to sell the ticket cheaper while providing extra flights? The LA - Montreal leg is the same on both bookings so this just didn't make financial sense. I chose a different option, connecting through Chicago instead.

Isn't this fascinating? This is why I didn't post yesterday. Just a bunch of fluff these days. Ooh ooh ooh, I forgot to tell you, I got tickets for the new Cirque de Soleil yesterday. Their new shows always start here (breathes on fingernails, rubs them, extends them and admires them) and we never go, the tickets are always gone so quickly and they're expensive too. Well, I was following a link from a metblog post and found they had two seats left together for the special 30% discount rate, I couldn't believe it, so I started ordering the tickets. The whole time there was a countdown timer to complete the transaction, or I would lose the tickets. I managed to secure them with only a minute left on the timer. A considerable amount of adrenaline was released during the process, but it was worth it, $100 for the two of us, going in a couple weeks.

13 comments:

dirk.mancuso said...

Congrats on the tickets. I've seen two Cirque de Soleil shows and found them amazing.

I never count on the airlines to make a lick of sense, either in pricing or flight scheduling.

Snooze said...

That is a GREAT deal on Cirque de Soleil!

Anonymous said...

[Lem's eyes bug out, green with envy, but he tries to act nonchalant.] Tickets to the Cirque. How nice.

(Someday I SO want to see them live! I am so jealous! Enjoy!)

Anonymous said...

I saw Cirque de Soleil at the Imax theatre in Vancouver a few years ago. It was amazing, ... and how much more so it will be to see it live!

Everything here is covered with a gleaming coat of frost this morning. A reminder that it's still too early to plant anything.

Anonymous said...

You remnd me of this: "The lives of two people don't amount to a hill of beans in theis crazy world." Humphrey Bogart said that to Ingrid Bergman. Only the two most interesting people of all time.
I find your so called boring life so fascinating. I too am feigning a 'so what' attitude as I die inside from envy at the Cirque tickets.
Repeat after me, The snow is pretty, The snow is pretty.

Chunks said...

Wow, you are a PLANNER!!! Jan 08?! OMG I would die a thousand deaths if I planned something that far in advance! hahah! Thank God you are not me!

Cirque de Soleil....je suis jalouse! (Is that how you spell it? My french is rusty.)

Snow. Oh God, I feel for you. We still have two feet on the ground in some spots. It's sick.

GayProf said...

I long ago gave up trying to figure out how they determine airfares.

r said...

I'm still on the search for cheap fares to New York. Actually, New York City wouldn't be so bad. Albany?

Crap crap crap.

It was another Dorothy-in-Kansas windstorm last night.

Anonymous said...

Way to go - both with the plane tickets and Cirque de Soleil. Enjoy! And be sure to give us a review.

Jane

bob said...

$100 Canadian?!? A bargain at twice the price.

Shorts and t-shirt weather here today, and that was at 8pm. Enjoy the snow.

Enemy of the Republic said...

We have rain here, which you would probably prefer, but I am sick of East Coast weather.

A Bear in the Woods said...

Cirque is soooo cool.

Patricia said...

oh how i love the game of looking for cheap airfare. seriously, it's like a quest for me. and i never even actually go anywhere, that's the sick part. i love that you, too, are such a planner.

cirque sounds sweet!

if you have time at orange county, be sure to stand next to the ginormous statue of john wayne. it's a cheesy photo op not to be missed.