Monday, October 13, 2008

I stayed up past my bedtime too

It was a lovely evening. She doesn't look 40 does she? I swear we are all looking younger than people used to. I remember seeing people in their 40's as a kid and thinking they all looked like my grandparents, (who were in their 40's then) in other words, old. Someone at the party refused to believe I was 43 and wanted to know "my secret". The only possible answer I could give was genes. After all I don't watch what I eat (much) and I smoked like a chimney for over 20 years. Still I loved being asked that question. You can blow sunshine up my ass anytime.

We all had to stand up and introduce ourselves at the beginning since it was a mix of her family and friends and colleagues. (I'm an old colleague.) We also had to say what our pet name was since Marie likes to use nicknames for people. When it came Serge's turn, he said his diminutive name was "the ball". Oh how some of us roared. Then we had to explain the story to others.

Today I'm making a turkey dad-gummit. Serge said "Again?" when I announced it. I had to remind him that the last time I made one was last thanksgiving. I also told him that when the interval was one year he doesn't get to say, "Again?" Whiny bastard. He's going to eat turkey and like it. It's turkey day here and that's what I'm doing. I better get cracking on the 15 pound bird.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Turkey day in Canada! Oh Serge, Turkey is traditional.
It is Columbus Day here which means no mail but the stores are all open. ed

Patricia said...

I love that you told Serge he doesn't get to say Again? at annual events.

Sometimes I say I'm going to make a turkey, even when I don't have plans to make the whole dinner. But then the turkey looks so lonely, I make the stuffing/dressing. And then I see all the pan drippings and think surely I need to make some gravy. And what's gravy without mashed potatoes? And then of course there's the pie.

I hope you don't get sucked in to this same vortex but if you do, I want an invitation.

Franciscus van Munster said...

If someone says "Again" after a one-year interval, there might be a hidden message there...

My adventures said...

Sunshine up your ass is way better than sunshine on your shoulder yet no one has ever bothered to write a song about that. I know, I've googled everything you'd want to ever know about "ASS" in the last two weeks. And the age thing, I always add 10 years to my age when people ask, the response is always the same " You look fabulous", by the time they're done complimenting me, I've already forgotten that I even added 10 years. Ha!

A Lewis said...

the BALL. hehehe. I'd have to say THE BALLS. And just let it go from there.

Mel said...

I very nearly pissed myself reading the ball story.

Personally, I believe that hot (or sleepy, early-morning) man-sex keeps the complexion young. Or at least that's the story I'm sticking with.

Snooze said...

I love Serge's reaction to the turkey. I think my parents would agree with him.

GayProf said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

I think people do look much younger than our grandparents generation. Even if we still take part in bad things (smoking, drinking, etc), we are more active than they were and do have better nutritional options.

Rox said...

The comment I left on "The Ball" story was funny! I can't believe I've been reading you so long sometimes.

Anyway, we finished off our Turkey last night. Three days of Turkey. I can't wait until Christmas.

And you're right, she doesn't look 40. Neither do I! I love telling people I have a kid in college because they don't believe it. Either that or everyone I meet is a brilliant actor?!

don said...

Bon fete de dindon.
No she does not look 40. Then again I can no longer tell anyone's ages. I seem to think that everyone is the same age as myself.

MartininBroda said...

Happy Thanksgiving from Germany

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Hiya, sorry i've not stopped by in a while. You're looking happy in your pics which is great. Love the latest one too with the sparklers, looks like a real happy occassion. Yes we too were thinking of getting married in the courthouse but he's done it there before and when we went along last week the thugs and hangs out of Cheltenham magistrates put us off slightly :>) x

Butch said...

A very happy Thanksgiving day to you both!

I have a Canadian friend who has lived in the States for quite a number of years. He will not cook a turkey on Thanksgiving. When we used to get together, one year it was Beef Wellington, another year it was goose. It does make the Thanksgiving dinners most interesting trying to guess what "non-turkey" meat will be served.

TED said...

Next year, brine the turkey. Then Serge will have something to look forward to, rather than something to dread.

Doug said...

Happy Turkey Day! Thinking of all the turkey being consumed in Canada has my mouth watering. I might have to do an early T-day turkey myself.

Birdie said...

Maybe the reason Serge whines is because you are making a 15-pound bird for two people. You'll be eating turkey for weeks. Invite your friends to polish it off!

Mark in DE said...

I also enjoy surprised looks from people who learn my age is 44. Why do we revere youth when age usually brings wisdom along with it?

Mark :-)