* We had snow Wednesday morning. Instead of the usual leaping of my heart, I had a decided sadness. There really are more months of snow here than without.
* Why do we tolerate a taxation system that taxes money both when you earn it and when you spend it? Even if you acquire real property, you are taxed forever more just for being the "owner". Oh and if you save your money, inflation is a very effective tax as well.
* The new "Tivo" type box we have has changed my life. I watch nothing but pre-recorded programs and never have to suffer commercials. The Ellen Show is my new guilty pleasure. (My favorite part is when she dances with the audience near the beginning of every show.)
* Why does ABC call it "World News Tonight" when it's nearly completely news about the US.
* I'm wondering now if it's that the media shows little about news from abroad because US citizens don't care, or if they have created the not caring since it's far cheaper to do stories from home than abroad.
* I passed the St. James Hotel yesterday since I was teaching in the adjacent building. I had no idea I was less than 100 feet of concrete from Madge when I saw the crowd assembled to possibly catch a glimpse of her. She's here for two Hard Candy shows. I tried again to get tickets but failed. I guess I never will. I'm not paying a scalper for a ticket. Scalpers are scum and should be put out of business. (Why respect an occupation when there is no valuable measure of accomplishment or production.)
* I felt such love for everyone the other day when they commented on my big drama of the week. It's so amazing how a couple of sentences from a not-really-stranger-but-sort-of can really lift a person's spirits. I feel so grateful for it. Thank you.
* It's getting to the point where I don't want to watch the news anymore. It's either politicians or economic meltdown. Nothing else seems to be getting through.
* Every day central banks and economists are pontificating on the future growth of various economies. This is about as believable as a headline that starts with "Psychics predict..."