Sunday, November 26, 2006

Chores

It's another crazy weekend around here. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was too caught up in "what I had to get done". I'm moving into the final stretch of my contracts, so I had to make exams yesterday. Plus the usual housework drudgery.

We used to have a maid that came by every couple weeks to clean. This was when we lived in Long Beach in the 90's. I must admit, it was wonderful. Actually, the impetus for hiring her was to diminish the frequency of marital squabbles over chores. It worked great. I don't know if it's because of the whole "voluntary simplicity" lifestyle we chose when coming here, or if we've matured, but now we're actually fighting over who "gets" to do a chore.

Yes, the words "it's my turn to vacuum, you got to do it last time" really came out of spouse's mouth yesterday. So I went out and raked up all the dead leaves and enjoyed the fresh air. First I went out to pick up the dog poo (I love to pick it up when it's cold out, like picking up stones - so easy!) but spouse had already beat me to it. Here, let me go dig out an old pic of Serge scooping up hot dog rockets.


Peace out!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serge never looked happier! Arguing over who gets to do chores. You guys are too much. Don't you dare clean that stool, you know I love scrubbing that crapper! How sweet! Really there are enough chores for two people. You fellows must learn to share, LOL!

Anonymous said...

If you guys are that eager to clean, one of you can come here. You will think you have reached Nirvana! I'll even let the dog dirt in the yard, much like the welcoming signal of leaving the light on at Motel 6. LOL!

Spider said...

I had that conversation with myself yesterday - "let me vacuum today, you did it yesterday..." "Oh no, you did the laundry and the dishes and changed the bed and cleaned the bathroom and straightened the house, I will vacuum..."

We get along so well that way...

Doug said...

Ok, the pressure has finally broken you both. You're officially crazy!

There must be some kind of pleasure device attached to the vacuum. ;)

Anonymous said...

This was for me, wasn't it? :o)

Snooze said...

I just can't imagine fighting to do household chores.

dpaste said...

OK, Serge has now officially frightened me.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I was once in good enough financial shape to have someone clean my house. It can't happen now with a kid in private school. Philly public schools are scary places. You are so right; how many fights are about chores? I'm into neatness and my husband and son are both slobs. So I do the cleaning or live in a sty. And it's hard to do all that and work full time and be a decent human being to the ones you love.


Great photo. How's the loser tenant?

dirk.mancuso said...

Adorable photo of Serge. Who would've thought picking up poo could make someone so deliriously happy...?

r said...

Dog poop.

What a coincidence...

GayProf said...

Boys, boys -- There's no need to fight. One of you can vacuum your apartment and the other can come to my place and vacuum. That way, everybody wins. My vacuum has all the attachments, as well. I am just sayin'.

Jess said...

"Dog rockets"

I love it. :)

A Bear in the Woods said...

Not just dog rockets, but HOT dog rockets.
A gift for the bon mot.
Truly.

St. Dickeybird said...

So 'LIKING to pick up poo' is the secret to a successful relationship?

Anonymous said...

I think I'm a long ways away from arguing over who gets to do chores.

S said...

Someone is way too happy for his own good.

Patricia said...

you two are strange.

but you can bring some of that chore-fighting strangeness to my house any day of the week.

Anonymous said...

Hah! I can't believe you posted that picture... and that he let you take that picture in the first place.

Apparently, my partner and I share the same set of chores. We call this one "Poop Patrol."

Mark in DE said...

Darling, we don't say "maid" anymore. The term is "housekeeper". :-)

We have had a housekeeper for most of our 10 years together. I even had one for a while when I was single. I hate doing housework! To me it is well worth it to pay someone else to clean for me. Plus, its all clean on the same day!

Hugs,

Mark in DC

The Persian said...

Serge is too cute, he makes me want to smile just looking at him!