Thursday, November 16, 2006

The stickly nature of truth

Here's why "knowing" is the same as "believing". Disclaimer: this is my opinion.

First, let's take a look at history where we can find innumerable instances of "fact" being false. From the flatness of the earth to the movement of the heavens, more scientific facts have been disproven than have been proven.

Second, we need only analyze some obvious facts that everyone "knows". Let's start with "The sun rises in the east." Sounds simple enough, it's something we can observe every day. But in reality, the sun does not rise. The earth, as it spins on its axis (of which there is none, only the concept of) simply moves from shadow to light. Semantics? Perhaps. But how about "Water freezes at 0 degrees?" Any American knows this to be false. Because it's all relative to how you measure temperature. And what is temperature? The measure of molecule movement or vibration. And what is freezing? Changing from liquid to solid form. Still, we don't talk about the metal car door being frozen, even though technically we could melt it. And do we KNOW that temperature is the measure of the vibration of atoms and molecules? No, we have simply applied the label to something we can feel but we cannot directly observe. Is it possible that temperature is something else? That gravity is not what we think?

Then again maybe it's the limitations of language placed on the limitless possibilities of the mind that cause these contradicitons. Nevertheless, most "facts" that you "know" to be true today may one day be regarded as fiction. After all it's all relative. Perception is reality bladibladibla.

Anyway, that's just a quick explanation why knowing and believing are essentially the same. The only thing I really know is that I am here now, and that "now" is an ever changing thing. Or at least that's what I believe.

24 comments:

bob said...

all this before most have had their coffee in the sleepy hamlet of Montreal? wow. mon dieu.

Jack said...

lol

I like it.

I do the same thing.

Have fun!?

Anonymous said...

Me thinks thou doth think too much. LOL! (Kidding).

I'm with you except that I am not sure that I "know" that I am here now. Sometimes I'm convinced that I am a figment of my own imagination.

The Lone Rangers said...

Was this a pre or post coffee discourse? Wow....

Timmy said...

I perceive that reality is relative to my own insanity.

Cian Brown said...

You have entirely too much time on your hands, but nevertheless a great train of thought.

Ponder this: If time and space are curved, where do all of the straight people come from?

Snooze said...

For a minute I worried that you were going to start praising creationism. Great post.

Polt said...

*giggle, snicker*...
bladibladibla ..never heard that before....tee hee...you silly Canadians.

Wait! The world ISN'T flat! Huh, what?

Will said...

Sentiments like the ones in your post always rise in my mind when a subject such as global warming comes up. yes it will be a big change and a problem (already is, actually) and will cause social and economic upheaval.

But then I remember that the Sahara was once lushly vegetated, that Pennsylvania was covered with glaciers, that the western U.S. was sea bottom and that I'm about to build a house on the slope of an old volcano--in New Hampshire. And things get put into perspective.

St. Dickeybird said...

I'd consider "Knowing" to be an almost absolute belief, where "believing" would be something a little less universal.

We "know" that the earth revolves around the sun (but that could be wrong too), some "believe" that there's an almighty being watching over us, God, Allah, whoever.

St. Dickeybird said...

Polt, the world IS flat. In fact, it's a giant badly-cooked pizza. This is my belief.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Life is relative, and all things in it. You think hard in the mornings, are you one of those crazy morning people? Devo

Anonymous said...

I know that religion is crazy.

Doug said...

Thankfully you didn't post this on a Monday. We would have had a collective apoplexy.

Everything is relative, or so my family always says.

GayProf said...

Like all good PoMo's, I believe all knowledge to be socially constructed.

Anonymous said...

Good post. A bit vague... but well argued nonetheless.

Of course, scientists no longer use the word "fact." They generally use "theory" or "principle." Scientific principles can't actually be proven, but most scientists know/believe them to be true.

Spider said...

It is what it is...

dpaste said...

Fascinating meditation.

S said...

I believe you think way too much in the morning (while I'm still asleep).

Patricia said...

i like pondering the difference between what i "know" and what i "believe".

for example, i know that i love my family and extended family.

i believe george w. is an idiot.

oh wait. you're right. they're pretty much the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Every one of us have been taught over and over that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Yet, I bet every body reading this says, Sunrise and Sunset. The Sun comes up, the Sun goes down, Tornwordo thinks too much about things so profound. Haha have a great day!

Anonymous said...

When I read this this morning, my head exploded. I am still trying to pick up the remnants of my shattered mind, thanks to you. Could you post about poop or something just for me tomorrow? Keep it simple baby. For me.

madamerouge said...

I'm having a flashback to my first year philosophy course at Queen's.

Nicki said...

Wow. That made my head hurt.