Friday, November 17, 2006

Spousal snippets

1. Serge is 40 today. That means he has spent a third of his entire life with me.

2. He can sleep anywhere, anytime. He can sleep the entire night in a chair.

3. He never follows recipes and therefore he never makes the same thing twice.

4. He equates price with quality.

5. Serge is a handyman kind of guy. He's not afraid to destroy a wall, take apart a radio, install an electrical outlet.

6. He is gruff with a soft center.

7. Sarcasm is his main form of defense.

8. He still turns me on after over 13 years.

9. He knows how to lean on me, and I him.

10. He is cleaner than I am. I am grateful for that.

11. When he received his first publisher's clearing house sweepstakes entry, he believed the million dollar check was real. It took hours to convince him otherwise. You could taste his crestfallenness.

12. He is an easy target for salesmen. He is forbidden to speak to telemarketers.

13. He is a beer drinker.

14. When he gains weight, it all goes to his belly. I like to rub the buddha belly.

15. If I want him to do something, all I have to do is start doing it myself. Then he will come over and inform me of how I'm doing it wrong and take over. Works every single time. (Why has it taken me so long to learn how to load the dishwasher? tee hee except now I'm busted)

16. If you give Serge a compliment, he will invariably respond, "I know".

17. He loves doing laundry. Apparently he dislikes folding the clothes or maybe I do that one thing "right".

18. When we first met, he would cry out, "Hostie que t'es beau." I wouldn't know that it meant, "Damn, you're beautiful," for another 7 years. Now, when I mention it, he flinches.

19. He can't grow facial hair, for there are patches of skin where hair refuses to grow.

20. He is still with me even after the "ball" incident.

21. He has the perfect hands.

22. He tolerates my flaws, of which I have many.

23. He will slug you and make you angry if you attempt to tickle his ribs, poke him in the ribs or even grab him there. Seriously. Don't do it.

24. He doesn't like sauce much. And refried beans? Forget it. Doesn't care for dressing, and I think he doesn't really like anything wet on his food. He adores soup though.

25. He eats his eggs sunny side up.

26. He works full time for a magazine doing layouts and managing their website.

27. He takes a nap every night after dinner when we stay in.

28. We make a good team for real estate purchasing, we would have never done this if we had been on our own.

29. Serge speaks English though he has had little formal training. He lived 7 years in California which forced him to learn.

30. He is a smoker, always planning to quit in the "near future". Rarely does it arrive. (But I love you honey.)

31. Beer and discretion don't always add up with Serge.

32. He loves it if I do something unexpected in the cleaning department. Like changing the bed sheets.

33. He likes to be romanced.

34. He sleeps on the right side of the bed.

35. At night, he sometimes gets the jimmy legs or scrapes his toes along the edge of the bed. It's kind of cute. Sometimes.

36. He knows computers so I don't have to so much.

37. He married me.

38. He does a mean chicken dance.

39. Our pet name for each other is Bébé and we often say "Tu pus!" (you stink) to each other.

40. He completes me. (Okay, that was a little barfy.)

36 comments:

Jack said...

Happy birthday Spouse!?

Torn, that was so nice.

You guys are cute!?

Have fun!?

Anonymous said...

Happy 40 th Birthday Serge, and many more!You both complete us. Wear your leather coat outside and don't catch cold. C'est la Vie!

Snooze said...

So many people who are married are not in love. It's great to read of a couple who are.

Anonymous said...

THAT was beautiful... Happy Birthday Serge... here is to many many more!

Spider said...

THAT was beautiful... Happy Birthday Serge... here is to many many more!

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday, Serge!

That list was so neat, Torn! We've learned about Spouse via your other posts, but this was pretty much all about him and it was wonderful (as he appears to be).

The picture is marvelous!

As for your last point. I think we all surmised that such was true whether you told it or not - and, no, ABSOLUTELY NO, it was NOT "barfy"!

Jane said...

Ahhhh....such sweet spousal snippets.

Happy Birthday, Serge!

Anonymous said...

Nery nice. I'm looking forward to discovering the Beer = lack of discretion part myself sometime. :)

CoffeeDog said...

aw, so sweet. je vous aime!

Timmy said...

Happy Birthday Serge!!

You guys look great together and sound even better!

Cheers to you!

Polt said...

Aw, Serge! Happy Birthday! Make Tornwordo do something special for you tonight!

You guys sound so in love...it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my happy place! :)

HUGS to both of you...

St. Dickeybird said...

Cute! You're both lucky men.
Happy 40th, Spouse!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Serge! I am sure the spouse will shower you with attention, romance, and perhaps a surprise or two today (and from the sound of it, that is like most days...which is the best gift ever!)

r said...

Happy Birthday to Serge. That list was wonderful... except I agree with you... the last line was barfy.

But you're allowed. Mushbucket.

Topher said...

Happy Birthday to Serge! Shows how much you really adore each other :)

Anonymous said...

That was v. thoughtful. You are the first married gay couple I've met. The US needs to wise up and accept gay marriage.

Anonymous said...

that was sooo sweet... wish him a happy 40th for me!!!

Anonymous said...

Serge sounds a lot like me, but if my spouse called it a Budda Belly, I'd probably choke him!

The two of you have found balance, which is what is needed for the long haul. The "Completes me" line is totally barfy though, but sometimes there are just no other words.

Bonne Fete Serge!!

Anonymous said...

I am happy for you :-)

S said...

How cute in a non-barfy kinda way.

Does he know about the list?

Even if he does, ya gotta love #16.

Doug said...

Very Happy Birthday Serge!

You guys are an inspiration!

GayProf said...

What a sweet tribute!

As an aside, you really should learn to load a dishwasher.

Happy Birthday, Serge!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Serge! Hope that you have a great day celebrating.00(Tornwordo - It's Ok to be barfey once in a while. It just keeps you real.)

A Bear in the Woods said...

Happy Fortieth, Serge.
It's easy to detect that you're still totally smitten with each other.
And the Ball story is quite possibly the most endearing thing I have ever read in my life.
Ever.
Sigh...

A Bear in the Woods said...

I love the use of the word "extruded". It lends an air of objective detachment to the description of a very salacious object.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SERGE!!!

dirk.mancuso said...

I love the weekly snippets, but this one brought an extra big smile to my face.

Happy Birthday, Serge!

Adam said...

That was one of the best snippets yet. Happy Birthday to Serge.

The Persian said...

Happy Birthday Serge!!

This post was too cute and sweet, it was really great learning these things about him. You guys fit together perfectly.

And that picture is beautiful!

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Aw, that was lovely. Happy birthday and many happy returns of the day!

Anonymous said...

My Phd in French roomate read your post and said that #18 is much stronger, like "fuck, you're hot." It's great either way.

Nicki said...

Aaaawwwww. I feel the almost uncontrollable urge to go out and fall head over heels in love.

Happy Birthday, Serge!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Couple!!!!

Tom Falco said...

Nice. You left me in tears.

dpaste said...

Barfy? I got a little misty reading that. If I'm half as lucky as you...

Patricia said...

uhmmm did chunks wish serge "good cheese"? heh. see? i crack myself up. even in your comments. what more could i possibly say? you guys fit. you make it work. you are the real deal. that should be celebrated every single day.