Friday, February 10, 2006

Cartoonageddon?

I've been voraciously consuming information on the cartoon protests. What started as something worthy of raised eyebrows a week ago, has turned into excellent fodder for classroom discussions on the topic. Thanks to Jimmy who posted a link to the images, I printed them up and brought them to class with me. A recurring comment came up from my student pool, which was "those people are brainwashed." That seems to be the only way to explain the disparity between our views that the cartoons are "harmless" and others' views that the cartoons are worthy of embassy-burning and lynch mob formation.

This has come up in 4 classes, and each time I said, "But aren't we all brainwashed in a way? Our thinking is shaped by the people, media, and culture that surrounds us."

This leads to a discussion of revered freedoms, the pros and cons of capitalism, socialized medicine (amazing the negative opinion of many Americans on the topic given that they have no experience of it first-hand) and the value of religion in general.

Finally, we have to admit (in 3 classes anyway, I had some closed minds in one class):

Our perception of the cartoons is every bit as much a result of "brainwashing" as is the violent reaction to it.

Anyway, this morning I read a wonderful op-ed piece in the LA times here. However, I only think it's wonderful because it appeals to my particular brainwashed state.

8 comments:

Snooze said...

I enjoyed the op-ed link you gave. It appeals to my brainwashed state too.

And on another note, I like this part of a post on the matter from thedailydump.blogspot.com. - where the author quotes a friend of his:

“After looking at some of the news sites the past couple of days there is one thing I don't get about the Muslim protests around the world. I already knew that they were insane and violent but the one thing I can't figure out is where do they get all those Danish flags to burn? Think about it. We live in NYC, a city filled with people from all over the world, home of the UN and a city with thousands and thousands of stores. Yet if the Danes pissed me off right now, I would have no idea where to go get a flag. But in the Middle East there are people with Danish flags ready for sale at a moments notice, even in places where you can't get basic necessities.”

_Psycho said...

Snooze, that's a good quote there. I never thought about it. It's indeed strange, maybe it was a big setup but the world overlord ;)

I would like to burn american flags in Canada and I wouldn't even know which stores I can get them (of course there is probably a couples but still).

Not sure the difference on the brainwash, but there was some guys on radio this morning he said "We are raised by Mohawhatever to kill peoples to defend him. We need to kill everyone that publish that picture".

What kind of world they live in ? How come, there is no pictures that would offense me in this world, that would push me to kill peoples.

It's sad that peoples like them exist.

St. Dickeybird said...

Wordo, that brainwashing point is brilliant. So is Snooze's quote.
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry being brainwashed into a particular zone of acceptance and seeing these things for what they are isn't all bad. It's only true when you act like fundamentalist and burn in the name of your religion. It is what it is, sad. Not all Muslims are built that way.
kb

Patricia said...

the last line of that op-ed says it all: "We need to learn to ignore these insignificant attacks and focus... attention on immensely more important issues: homelessness, world hunger, the widening gulf that separates rich and poor, and freedom."

madamerouge said...

Thanks for the link to the Times op-ed. I'm looking forward to what my favourite lesbian Muslim commentator, Irshad Manji has to say on the topic. Until then, I'll be under my bed in a fetal position (if anyone needs me).

dantallion said...

I tried and tried again to formulate a comment on this, rewrote it about 10 times. This topic frustrates the hell out of me. I think I need to let it simmer just a little more.

Leilouta said...

For anybody who is interested in this subject: http://egyptiansandmonkey.blogspot.com/
He is my hero