Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's lucky I forgot

It always seems hectic on Monday morning, dragging myself out of the sloth skin of the weekend, and rushing around to face the longest day of my week. Yesterday, I was saddled up and racing out the door with my arms full, as spouse took a more leisurely approach to the start of the workweek still in his robe at the computer. I hustled to the busstop mentally checking that I hadn't forgotten anything. Keys? check. Tape player? check. Copy list? check. All the class folders? check.

The bus arrives and I feel for my wallet to get out my bus pass. Shit! No wallet. The bus leaves without me as I curse myself and head back home to wait the 15 minutes for the next bus. But what's this? There is spouse on the other side of the street waving at me. Wasn't he just in his robe? How could he know I forgot my wallet? I wait for a break in the traffic to cross the street.

"Do you know WHY I'm standing out here with no socks and no underwear?"

"Um, because I forgot my wallet?"

"Nooooooooo." dripping, nay cascading with sarcasm, "THINK about it!"

"What honey, I don't want to think about it, why are you here on the sidewalk with no socks nor underwear? Please, just tell me."

"Because they cancelled! Your morning student just called to cancel the class, so I came to catch you."

Of course, I started chuckling how I've not forgotten my wallet in many years, how I seem to be forgetting things more lately, how it's wonderful luck that I forgot my wallet this morning. Because if I hadn't forgotten it, I would have gone all the way to the lesson and wasted HOURS of time.

Plus the charming memory of rankled spouse, disheveled and pissy, waving at me on the street in the frigid morning cold.

Sometimes I love the way the universe works.

11 comments:

Snooze said...

That story made my day and it does indeed seem that cosmis forces were at work. I can only hope that when you got your cold shivering spouse back inside you helped him to discover the joys of not wearing underwear.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

I wish I could cancel work today, having a bad hair day as they say.

Your story was sweet though and cheered me up no end ;-)

St. Dickeybird said...

Forgetfullness isn't that bad. Just don't lose that image of him!

And thanks for the cute tale.

Chunks said...

What a sweet story!
"Cascading with sarcasm..."
Kind of describes me lately.

Patricia said...

"so i came to catch you."

isn't that what it's all about? sharing lives and juggling schedules and taking opportunities to catch the ones we love when we see an opportunity to do so.

it's as important to catch as it is to be caught. and usually this has such a negative connotation. but somehow, it feels so sweet to imagine him standing across the street. just wanting to catch you.

okay i know i'm too dovey here but i can't help it damnit.

_Psycho said...

I cannot remember last time I forgot my wallet. I guess since it's almost the only thing I always bring, it's hard to do ;)

Lucky for you, work is a pain lately !

Adam said...

I love it when things work out like that. It feels so good. You still use a tape player? Wow I thought I was old school with my iPod mini in the original shade of blue while all around me everyone sports an iPod nano. Cheers to you!

joey said...

Now that's love! Great post!

Greg the Surly said...

I think thats an awesome way to start the day.

madamerouge said...

Make sure you guys don't take each other for granted.

Signed,
single/bitter

epicurist said...

sweet love. Both Rib Breaker and I are quite forgetful as well. He more so than I, that now I have become the person to remind him...scary huh?