Friday, February 03, 2006

Pics around town yesterday + PV tale

First stop yesterday was at the 25th floor looking over the city.

After that, I took a leisurely stroll through the park.

This facade caught my eye. That face is intense.

And I happened upon some really interesting graffiti art.

And now a little journal excerpt from the Puerto Vallarta vacation last month:

Sometimes, I'm a mean guy. Here in Puerto Vallarta, where everyone is on vacation, conversation comes easily around town, on the beach, and in the clubs. Origins and duration of stay are the most likely ice breakers while in the back of everyone's mind is "is he/she/they pursuit worthy?" But there are the stand-offish attitude throwing types too, denigrating you somehow with a simple tone invoked while saying hello. I like to call them "tudes". I'm rather a civility nazi and exacting revenge on these types is easy. Since everyone vacationing frequents the same clubs, restos and beaches, repeated sightings of people met is commonplace.

Today, when we passed by some of these tudes, I remarked loudly to spouse, "Yah, but there's something funky about his butt." And then, like five minutes later, we passed another one and I almost burst out laughing as I said, "I didn't know you could get acne on your back." Of course, I try to zero in on the one possible weak point of the physique as I'm sure this is their emotional achilles heel as well.

Cruel? Perhaps. I don't care if you are the vilest hunk of flesh to look at on the planet, I will speak to you, smile and be open to any other gifts you have to offer.

Is it wrong to expect the same from others? Or just naive?

5 comments:

dantallion said...

It's naive.

But kudos to you for doing something about it. If more people did that, perhaps it's wouldn't be quite so naive an expectation.

St. Dickeybird said...

Great! But please don't do that if you see a guy that looks like me.

Jason said...

I can't stand 'tude' guys either. Good for you.

Snooze said...

You're evil and I love it.

epicurist said...

I'm a big proponent of being civil, kind and friendly. It just doesn't pay off being an ass and throwing "tude".


p.s. Nice pics. We haven't seen snow in Toronto is mid December...it's ridiculous.