Monday, February 20, 2006

Freezing cold

This is on the harrowing drive to Ottawa. 70 mile an hour winds and blowing snow. We had to take a very circuitous route to get there due to huge chain reaction accidents that had closed down the freeways. It took 4 hours to accomplish what normally takes an hour and a half.

We walked to the parliament building (this is like the equivalent of the capitol building in DC) with the wind chill of 25 below (-35C). The sun was no match for the icy razor blades of wind slicing our skin.

Here we are at the top of the Peace Tower (the center tower in the photo before this one) looking out. Doesn't it just shout "Frigid"?

I'll have more pics and details for you tomorrow. I was just hoping to hit home the theme of the weekend which was, "Fuck it's cold!"

11 comments:

Snooze said...

I'm glad you made it there safely. I like the cold, but when it gets that cold, you're just paralyzed.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

fffrrrrrrrigid! I haven't heard that one for awhile

Like the photos, don't suppose we'll see you posing with your bare essentials in those temperatures!!!!!!!! a man could lose his bearings in that weather!....apparently so i've heard!

Glad you had a good time ;-)

St. Dickeybird said...

My god, that looks frigid!
I hope your hotel room was cozy.
;)

dantallion said...

When I heard about the pile-ups on the 417 on Friday, I was thinking about you and your drive up. Glad you made it safely, and that you managed to enjoy yourself despite the cold.

_Psycho said...

Bad weekend to travel, especially friday if you left there, was really bad. With all these accidents !

Nice pictures, make me wish I live in the south =P

madamerouge said...

Although it can be brutally cold, I've always found Ottawa in winter to be beautiful.

ink said...

I'm so glad you managed to get to Ottawa (and back to Montreal) in one piece. I couldn't stop thinking about you on Friday. All I kept hearing about was these massive pile-ups with X-many dead and X-many injuries, and roads being closed all over the region.

Glad you had a good time in spite of Ottawa's (always welcoming?) weather.

So, did you manage to get that Beaver Tail?

Chunks said...

Glad to see I'm not the only co-dependent hanging out in your comments section! I also caught the news on Friday and gasped when I saw the pileups. Glad to hear that you weren't involved. Looking forward to hear see tomorrow's pics!

r said...

beaver tail? Have you ever gotten beaver tail?

Me thinks not.

glad you're okay.

Tony Adams said...

There's nothing like the Canadian Cold. It does things to your face and fingers in a few short minutes that even Hannibal Lechter couldn't do. That's the one part of Montreal I do not miss.

your judgemental aunt said...

I lived in the 'twa for many years and I know what -35 feels like.
It's sooo not so nice! I guess that's why I no longer live there.