Friday, October 27, 2006

Pissy morning

The frequent flyer program for Air Canada, called Aeroplan, has just sent out a mass email detailing upcoming changes to their "loyalty" program. In a nutshell, not only do you have to have "activity" on your account at least once a year, but also that the miles you earn now will expire seven years from now.

I can understand the first requirement, and it is easy to satisfy, what with the credit cards and adjunct businesses offering miles for using their services / buying their products. In fact, it seems to be more the norm than the exception in the air miles business.

The second part though is incomprehensible to me. Well, actually that's not true, it's a money grab. At the expense of loyal customers. I sent the following note to Aeroplan to express my displeasure.

I received the new guidelines for mile expiration. My question is, "How does it make business sense to tell your customers that their loyalty only counts for 7 years?"

If I were to want to save up for a first class round trip Europe flight with my miles, I would not be able to since I only travel twice a year or so. I'm seriously thinking of going back to Northwest airlines whose miles don't expire as long as you have activity in your account.

I'm quite disappointed with this news, and I'm sure that I'm not alone.

They replied that they were having trouble with this feature of their contact page and said that I should call them. What for? There are plenty of other carriers that fly out of Montreal. Maybe it's time to switch to Westjet. Well, that is after I accumulate enough miles to drain the account (in a year or two.)

12 comments:

Timmy said...

get em Torn!

toobusyliving said...

We're having another "Pub Night" tonight...you could rack-up some miles on a last minute flight to Toronto so you can join us tonight! If you can spend all that money on real estate, what's a couple of hundred bucks to do something spontaneous and fun!?

Shauntae AuPair said...

West Jet?

I don't abide by my flight attendants doing some stand up comedy routine when they should be mentally focused on getting me out of the aircraft in the (unlikely) event of equipment failure.

Anonymous said...

Switch to WestJet indeed!! May I recommend that you (or spouse) get a little side job with Westjet? Seriously, the money you will save on travel costs, would make you puke! It's the best kept secret in travel. The time requirement is next to nothing.

Of course, I'm schtupping a WestJet employee, so I am reaping the benefits of the cheap travel without all the heavy lifting.

GayProf said...

All airlines are evil.

The Persian said...

Thats horrible. What gayprof said.

dirk.mancuso said...

I don't even know how to get air miles. Planes scare me so I fly as seldom as possible.

Anonymous said...

Air Canada continues to make PR blunders over and over...

madamerouge said...

I buried that Aeroplan e-mail in my "miles" folder, and haven't had the courage to look at it yet.

Anonymous said...

lol at madamerouge.....btw that photo below, is so incredibly gorgeous!!!!

r said...

poop. I was working on my free flight to visit for free sometime soon.

Oh well, seven years, I can do that.

And if it's anything like United, the miles don't expire after seven years, they expire after seven years of inactivity.

But, knowing you, you read it carefully, and that's not the situation here.

boo.

StePHen said...

airlines are evil... and scary.... i side with the latter, hence why i dont fly anymore