Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sky talk and riddle answer

Here's a live view from the patio this morning. I can't wait for the top of that center tree to lose its leaves. That mountain in the distance is about 20 miles away. So grateful I am for this big chunk of sky I have to look at now. Oh and incidentally, I would define sky as "everything that appears above you while you are outside looking up on this planet". If you are up in the space shuttle, do you consider yourself to be "in the sky"? I don't know. But the stars are certainly in the sky.

Spouse and I and Mother in law spent all day yesterday fixing up our old place, cleaning and painting. We've got to go back and finish it today. Two prospective renters are coming to look at it at 3, so it would behoove us to get going asap. (I just wanted to use the word behoove, otherwise I would have dumped that sentence)

Okay, the answer to yesterday's riddle. The one question that you could ask either guard in order to accurately know which door leads to heaven is:

"If I were to ask you which door leads to heaven, what would your answer be?"

Truthtelling guard always tells the truth, and lie telling guard couldn't answer with the lie he would say if asked that question, so he "lies" which makes him reveal the true door to heaven.

Enjoy this wonderful autumn day!

14 comments:

Jack said...

I've lived at the top of the hill too, it's great.

You'll also be able to watch the fireworks from there.

Have a great week end.

Spider said...

Do you three hire out - I have company coming Thursday and my place needs cleaning...

mainja said...

ohhhh, i misunderstood the riddle, i didn't realise we knew which one told the truth and which one lied.

r said...

Hope you have some time after cleaning to enjoy your day too.

Hope everything is running smoothly.

Snooze said...

I still don't get the riddle. Can you do a simpleton's version spelling it all out?

dirk.mancuso said...

Great view.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you today.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Mainja's answer work too? What sort of heaven is this anyway? Maybe it is better outside the door.

Nice view.

Anonymous said...

your riddle reminded me of something the yogi would ponder on top of the mountain in the old B.C. comic strip!

Hope you are able to rent your old place, and enjoy the fruits of your labor during these next precious weeks of autumn...they pass so quickly!

A Bear in the Woods said...

Hmmm, I thought "it behooved" is a descriptive phrase in Ebonics for any ungulate mammal possessing a curved covering of horn that protects the front of or encloses the ends of it's digits and that corresponds to a nail or claw.
See, "it be hooved" is so much simpler and more elegant.
I love language.

Timmy said...

I love ebonics!

St. Dickeybird said...

Wasn't that riddle from Labrynth?

Patricia said...

that mountain is just lovely.

i live in the flatest, flat flatness possible.

dpaste said...

In the various permutations of that riddle I have heard, I always thought the answer was to ask either guard which door his compatriot would say to choose and then choose the opposite. Truth guard would tell the truth and indicate the door the lier would choose, and lying guard would lie and choose the opposite door that the truthful guard would choose.

The Lone Rangers said...

If you were in the space shuttle wouldnt the rest of the galaxy, technically, be your sky?