Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry and junket

So I'm only half way through Harry Potter. Yeah, I'm a slow reader. I like to chew on each chapter a bit and sometimes I reread a paragraph to make sure I don't miss any plot points. Plus, I don't want it to end, so each time I find myself wanting to rush, I stop, take a few moments to imagine what will happen, think about what I want to happen, and then continue. If I get so excited that I start skimming to get to relevant dialog, I put the book down for a spell. It's like a fine meal, or a $100 wine - slow consumption extends the pleasure (come to think of it, this would apply to sex too). Too bad you can't do this with ice cream since it melts.

I do feel rushed, however, as it's only a matter of time before I happen upon a spoiler. (And there better not be any in the comments, I'd have to locate you and proceed with the disemboweling.)

On Wednesday, Dan and I went out to the country to visit our friends who traded a city life for a country one. They live a mere three miles from the Maine border in a very lightly populated area. There is no cell phone service it's so remote. But it's nestled amongst mountains, forests, pastures and streams. The morning cacophony of birdsong is magical. (I decided that a robin's song can be mistaken for an angry squirrel.)

We had a lovely time. There is nothing better than sitting around a fire after dinner, telling stories and drinking wine, watching the moon and the stars, puffing a couple joints, laughing and chilling out watching Indian television. (the fire) I already want to go back.

15 comments:

bardelf said...

Pretty photo, nice and serene.

My Deathly Hallows book arrived here in Newfoundland yesterday, from Amazon, so I am ready to dive in!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes! That is my idea of paradise, too. I am, of course, a "country mouse".

Anonymous said...

I love Maine, of course, so I am swooning over your picture. You are describing the exact delights of the country that I would desire. Perhaps in 6 years (when we can be free of The Man), we can finally realize our dream. I envy your friends!

Anonymous said...

Smoking joints with DAN by the fireplace. That could lead to trouble. Serge deserves your faithfulness.
Great picture but oh how different it would look in the Winter. Brrrr!!!

dantallion said...

That sounds like heaven. If it weren't for the fact that I have to work (and I hate long commutes - particularly in the winter), I'd probably do exactly the same thing as your friends. That picture is great.

As for ice cream, if you eat it outside in January, you could savour it. ;)

r said...

Shame on you ed.

How could smoking with his friend Dan equate a lack of faithfulness on Torn's part? You don't know him very well. Sheesh.

Torn, I'm glad you had a good time. Sounds like a paradise of a place.

Anonymous said...

So could you walk across the border there, you know, just on a little stroll? I'm always looking for good spots just in case we have to pull a Von Trapp. And you know, even without that, I like the idea that there are ways to live without the official stuff getting in the way so much. Great, now there will be something else to put in my file.

That pic is great.

Chunks said...

Except for the mountains and the pot it's just like my place! (You can get cell service about a half a mile down the road...) There's something to be said for country living. It's good for the soul. Even just visiting is good for a blog entry or two.

I've heard a few HP Spoilers already but I am still looking forward to the book.

Anonymous said...

I'm just saying that Torn's mind might become clouded and make him do something he will regret. It is better not to get into such situations than be sorry later. I know Torn would NEVER hurt serge on purpose.

Kevin said...

I had to read the book quickly to make sure I didn't hear any spoilers first. I figure I can go back and catch things I may have missed (although I think I did a pretty thorough job the first time through actually) afterwards.

dawn said...

Very zen-like that place sounds. An the joints can't hurt either.

Snooze said...

Ah, I love city living, but am envious of your getaway. It sounds delightful.

Jason said...

I love Indian television, have to remember that.

Devo said...

I think there is nothing better than sitting in front of the fire with the stars so clear over your head and the sounds of the woods around you. The smells, sounds, and the air are so calming. Nice times, man. Looks gorgeous.

anabel said...

That place looks great. Nice and peaceful.