Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Vacation this 'n that

We're in Palm Springs now. It's awful hot out here, but that's part of the charm of visiting this time of year. Plus the town is semi-deserted (yuk yuk yuk) making traffic light and things like the Aerial Tramway a breeze. (more yuks) Still, we had to wait for a table last night at The Cheesecake Factory. I told Serge that I have always had to wait for a table there, and this axiom continues to hold. We tried something new there that I hate to admit was delicious. Fried Macaroni and Cheese. We highly recommend it though if you have any kind of heart condition, you might want to reconsider.

After the tram tour yesterday, we sought refuge in a mall where we shopped for some clothes. We had already made several purchases when we spotted the Gap. I refused to go in and sat outside the store (but still inside the mall) while Serge checked it out. (I love the Gap, but I had already spent more than I wanted.) A few minutes later, Serge emerged with a pair of jeans. He had procured them for $10. I have never seen a ten dollar pair of pants at the Gap, socks maybe, but not pants. So I went in and spent ten more dollars. How could I not?

Today we're off to Knott's Soak City. Gonna be kids for a few hours. Later!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast!!!
Let us know how Soak City goes... I wanna be there!

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid (pre-microwaves), the accepted way of reheating macaroni and cheese for my mother and grandmother was to fry it. I loved it. Within the last year we were visiting my older son and he took us to the Cheesecake Factory there and recommended the fried mac and cheese. Be stout of heart and low of cholesterol, we ventured it. It was deja vu all over again.

Patricia said...

yay, a post! i love palm springs. the mountains, the desert, and the stars at night! just getting directions is a hoot. uhhh yeah, go down to bob hope blvd and make a left on doris day lane. how fun!

can't wait to hear all your stories.

Anonymous said...

if you would like to use our story you can, just make sure it's funny and sad.

xx
d

Scottsdale Girl said...

How fun!!!!!!!

Cheesecake Factory requires you to wait, even if you are the first person in the restaurant when they open. SOme sort of bs restaurant thing.

Mark in DE said...

I've only been to the Cheesecake Factory twice and both times there was a significant wait for a table. One time we specifically waited until 3pm, thinking we wouldn't have to wait since it was between lunch and dinner. Wrong. I think they purposely make people wait for tables in order to perpetuate the idea that 'its so good that there's always a wait'. My policy is not to wait more than 15-20 minutes for a table. I don't care HOW good the food is.

I've had the fried mac 'n cheese too and thought it was great. But TGIFridays also serves it and the wait is usually shorter.

daveincleveland said...

i have had the mac and cheese and to say it in our language...fabulous.........all their food is awesome...especially the pumpkin cheescake

Enemy of the Republic said...

I was thinking of you today. I'm glad you are having a good time.

Chunks said...

I miss you. Come home. I don't care if you are having fun, I want you back where you belong. On my computer-altar every morning for coffee. Have your fun and get your asses back to Canada, I don't care how damn cheap the jeans are!!

heehee

Anonymous said...

$10? sure you weren't at old navy? that's awesome

A Lewis said...

I can't believe you guys in Palm Springs in the middle of summer....I mean, your winters are so long and cold....couldn't you go then? We were at 101 yesterday here in Portland...which is way more heat than we need. Cheesecake Factor? Hum. Don't forget my post regarding that place:

http://spiritofsaintlewis.blogspot.com/2006/12/out-and-not-quite-ready-to-be-proud-at.html

CoffeeDog said...

Yeah, I'm with Chunks on this one - get home soon, I miss you.

bardelf said...

Palm Springs can certainly be unbearably hot, but, there are lots of clothing optional swimming pools, so you guys should take advantage of one!

St. Dickeybird said...

Soak City looks fun. Will we see photos?

Snooze said...

I feel my arteries closing just reading about the mac and cheese.

dpaste said...

I will pass on the fried mac-n-cheese. I'm sure I'm healthy enough to survive it, but I think I'd need to bring a blanket and pillow into the bathroom with me, as I'd be spending a considerable amount of time there later.

$10 jeans at the GAP? I think I just came in my pants.

Anonymous said...

Knott's Soak City sounds like a total blast! Wish I could join you ....we hit 37 degrees here yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be funny if you guys ran into the guy you had to throw out of the apartment? He'd be all hey I'm coming to pick my stuff up and shit. Then you find out he is a headliner as the Nude Dancer in a bar in west hollywood.
Hurry home Sarah misses you both.