Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Serendipitous

I had such a lovely day yesterday. Whilst out about town accomplishing my "to do" list, I stumbled by the IMAX and saw that Harry Potter was starting in 15 minutes. (Imax is the giant 6 story screen.) I shut off my cell and bought a ticket. Escape. Plus the last half hour is in 3D.

(Right now as I write, an altercation is taking place next door. (Screamed) "How many women you got in there? You told me to come and now you don't let me in? Where's my watch? And breakfast? You told me to come and I want some breakfast. You told me to come this morning. You are fucked up! Where is my watch? I want my watch." It is a skinny white girl standing outside and arguing with a muffled male voice coming from one of the apartments. This is the third time I've seen her come over and rant. We moved away from cracktown to get away from these sorts of characters but apparently we didn't move far enough. The skinny white girl just strode off with a self-satisfied look on her face.)

After the film, I walked past a bookstore, saw the new Harry Potter in the window and went inside. There was an employee pulling copies out of a box to restock the giant isle 'o Harry Potter in the entry. I grabbed one and headed to the line. I counted ten other patrons ahead of me. Only one of them did not clutch a copy of Harry Potter. It's amazing how Rowling has touched so many people on the planet. After paying for my copy, I can honestly say that this is the most I've ever laid out for a book of fiction to read. ($38 with tax.)

When I got home, I called the Brazilians and offered them the apartment. They came over within the hour ready to sign the lease and pay the first month. They seemed very nice and grateful. The cute guy who "REALLY WANTED" the apartment, and whom serge had promised it to before vacation, never called back after promising Tuesday to come put a deposit down. Serge even left a message at his mother's house. Flake!

Serge got home then and I told him what I had been up to all day. When I got to the book part, he picked up his phone and dialed someone and left this message. "Do not buy the book. I repeat, do not buy the book." Apparently someone was planning to get it for my birthday, lol.

22 comments:

Snooze said...

The Brazilians sound like they will be good tenants. I hope you didn't bug Serge too much about the flakiness of cute guy!

bardelf said...

Harry Potter! I saw the Order of the Phoenix this weekend, and the Deathly Hallows book should arrive from Amazon in the next day or two. (things take awhile to reach Newfoundland!)

I heard on the news yesterday that Hallows was selling at a worldwide rate of 5000 copies per minute this weekend!!!

Lacey said...

Whilst reading your post today, it occurs to me that I haven't actually heard anyone use the word "whilst" in, oh, probably thirty years. I believe it was my nana, gone since 1982 at the ripe old age of 99.

Don't you love words?

dantallion said...

I've never read HP, or seen any of the movies (well, actually, I think I saw part of the first one a whiole back). I suppose I'll eventually jump on the bandwagon. I curious, though: how was the imax 3D part?

Timmy said...

I dont understand Potter Pandamonium.

Anonymous said...

Allo,


I was the "someone !!

Why did you buy this book ?
Now, i dont know what offerring to you for your birthday !!

vuboq said...

I totally loved Book 7. I hope you do too, and that no one spoils the amazing ending for you. I promise not to! I'm seeing Movie 5 this weekend! Yay!

Patricia said...

i've not ready one of the books but i'm sure i will... someday.

Skinny White Girl clearly believes breakfast to be the most important meal of the day. good for her.

i do wonder what brought about the self satisfied look. did she get her watch back? did she kick him in the balls? did she reach in and steal a bagel? please provide updates as they become available.

Doug said...

We saw HP in iMAX with 3D. The 3D was neat, yet not overbearing.

This is the only book we've seen literally everywhere. It's even in the grocery store.

I haven't read any of the books until now. I just started reading the first. To be honest, I think the popularity of it all is because of the movies and the associated hype machine, not necessarily because the book is a great work of art. I guess I'll have to see how the rest of the books are.

Jason said...

I feel so left out having never read any of these books.

My adventures said...

dontcha love spoiling birthday gifts??? now they have to put more thought into it!!! lol!!! hope you don't end up with a tie!!!

Chunks said...

I have the kids wanting to read it first, the Tween is over half way through. Then the Teen will slop through it and then hopefully, it will be mine. Mine to sit in the stack! (I'm planning on re-reading 1-5, reading 6 for the first time, then 7)

Maybe the Brazillians will get rid of the skinny white chick? Here's to hope!

I repeat, do not buy the book....FUNNY!!

r said...

I love Serge's phone message to Dan. So cute. Tell Dan to get you those dark chocolate, pinot noir soaked cherries. Yum.

I don't care why the Potter books have become a craze; I'm just happy so many people are reading.

Of course, next year I'm going to have to hear about this book repeatedly from my students. Guess I'll have to start # 2.

Anonymous said...

Hey, the Canadian and American covers rae different.

I have been meaning to tell you that I read the back part almost immediately. Do you want ot know if I hate Rowling less or more?

A Lewis said...

Where can I go see the IMAX movie of your home, the visitors, the fights, the fun and frolic? I swear, you guys have more entertainment around there.

GayProf said...

I am 3/4 done with my copy of Deathly Hollows. Apparently Rowling responded to criticism that the last book didn't have enough action by making this one all action (not that I am complaining -- Just observing).

Anonymous said...

I picked up my copy yesterday after work, and like you stood in a line with about a dozen other worthy HarryPotterites all clutching the weighty and expensive book. I stayed up reading it until I fell asleep ... literally. I'll finish gobbling it up tonight. All I can say thus far is it's great ... best ever. JK Rowling is a goddess in my opinion.

Congrats on renting the apartment to a non-flake.

Devo said...

Oh, I am so curious why Em hates Rowling?? Tell me more. I read the first two and although I found them somewhat captivating, I also found them annoying and decided I was done with it. Serge is so cute, I repeat, do not buy the book. Sooo cute. And skinny white girl? Great story, always leaves me wanting more, these adventures in your hood. Glad the Brazilians seemed eager and financially able. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Just read book one can't wait to get book two. I should have them all read by christmas.
Hey timmy I live in Indiana too. Unable to comment on yuor restricted blog.
Serge wanted to see that movie too. He has to work and slave all day while Torn plays and watches people scream at each other. I'm sure Torn can make it up to him somehow;)

Normlr said...

Your neighbours sound like the ones that live a block from us. Only ours break up every 2 weeks, on the sidewalk, in public, and put on quite the show for anyone who's around.

dawn said...

$40 for a book is crazy. People love them some Harry Potter. I think it's awesome. God bless Rowling for making people actually want to read.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I'll buy mine used at Amazon. Sorry, I guess I'm just as jaded oldfart.