Friday, November 16, 2007

Snippets

* One of my students explained how she got her forehead scar. It seems she and her friend were playing "blind people" as kids and she ran into the corner of a table. That was the last time she played that game. (I found this hilarious.)

* My childhood scar on my face was caused by my mimicking the babysitter who had just shaved with a straight edge razor. Thankfully, I don't recollect it.

* My grandfather (RIP) had a pair of webbed toes.

* Spouse turns 41 tomorrow.

* I came home Wednesday to 22 messages on the machine, all from the same 800 number - all hang-ups. When they called again, I asked if it was necessary to call my house 23 times a day. The girl just kept repeating her opening line, "I'm calling on behalf of...." She refused to answer my question so I told her to never call me again and hung up.

* How did "casualty" come to mean "death"?

* The college and university students are on strike here. Doesn't that sound ridiculous? They're striking because the tuition fees have been raised (by $50). Welcome to the real world guys, prices go up. Anyway, they're only hurting themselves, I'm sure the profs are loving it.

* Merguez sausage always tempts me. But when I honor the temptation, I always think the same thing, "Tastes like there's butt in here."

* This site rated my blog "elementary school level" reading. (Cuz of the poop talk?) This will probably disappoint the francophones that read, since they often have trouble with my turns of phrase.

* When people (mis) use the phrase, "I could care less," I always think, "Who's stopping you?" It's couldn't, not could. Duh.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Spouse!
Tell him he's cute, just so he can say "I know" again. :)

Birdie said...

If the ratings site uses the same formula taught to Language Arts teachers, it's the average number of words in a sentence and the size of those words. Really. It's that basic. It doesn't take into account the complexity of the ideas or the fact that you express yourself so clearly with a minimum of obfuscation. Content has nothing to do with it.

It's a compliment that you are so accessible. Keep writing for those of us who need to see life through your "elementary" viewpoint. I couldn't care less what the site rating is!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGE!!!
Interesting Snippets once again. I remember when hundreds of our boys started dying in Vietnam. I think that is when they changed it to casualities.
I had two cute Mormom boys to visit yesterday. One of them said he had heard of the movie Latter Days, he seemed surprised that I liked it. I told them it is not right for their church to keep them from seeing their friends and relatives for 2 years while they do missionary work. One boy tried to quote scripture to back up the idea. I told him being seperate from the world doesn't mean not being able to see your family members.

Doug said...

Telemarketers belong in the same hell as overly litigious lawyers. It's funny how they don't have anything other than their canned lines.

I didn't even know students could strike. If I had known that years ago...

Patricia said...

they're striking over fifty bucks?! get real! total tuition here goes up by the hundreds and thousands. they have no clue how good they have it.

happy birthday, serge!

thank you for that last one. i could care less is right up there with irregardless.

Fatinah said...

what drives me is when people say they are going to un-thaw meat - I always think - dude, it's already frozen!

dirk.mancuso said...

Happy Birthday to the hubby!

My blog got the same "elementary school level" rating. Hmmmmmm, maybe there is something to your theory about poop talk being involved...

don said...

* How did "collateral" come to mean death?

* Merguez sausage means immediate trip to Montmarte toilette to me.

Bonne Weekend!

Birdie said...

Want to find out if you write like a girl? Go to http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php to have the Gender Genie predict the gender of your writing. (My own entries apparently were written by a man. Who knew?) Entries of 500 words or more work best.

Please tell us your results!

Birdie

Steven said...

Happy Birthday to Serge!
What was your babysitter doing shaving and whatever happened to him? Luckily you still turned out good looking! ;-)

Brechi said...

Happy Bday to spouse. Post a picture of him and his cake.

Mark in DE said...

I have a facial scar (under my chin) from childhood. I was following my neighbor too closely so when she came to a skidding halt, my bike slammed into hers and I hit the ground. I barely recall getting the novacaine injection and the stitches, but the scar remains as proof.

Happy birthday to Serge!

Mark

GayProf said...

I think that university tuition should be free for all students with the ability to pursue a college education. In any case, I fully support student strikes. Purpose I will encourage one here. . .

Happy Birthday to Serge!

GayProf said...

I should really learn to proofread.

Eh.

dantallion said...

Wow, it rated mine "Junior High School". I guess I really AM Smarter Than a Fifth Grader...

dantallion said...

And Happy 41st to Spouse!

Anonymous said...

my older blog got a high school level rating, but it wasn't able to rate my wordpress one.

Weird.

RJ March said...

Hmmm-- I'm on a high school level with mine, too. I already know I write like a girl...

David said...

Happy birthday to Serge.

BTW, it said mine was Genius.

How odd.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

loved the scar one, instant visions of two kiddies in blindfolds walking into things:>)

Snooze said...

I love the saying "I could care less" for the very reason you don't - I always mentally add "...but it would be difficult" after I say it.

bardelf said...

Happy Birthday to Serge!
Cheers!

Java said...

Happy Birthday, Serge! Torn, make him feel special today. ;-)

lattégirl said...

The 1-800 girl must be the same "by-the-book" woman who works at the hotel coffee shop (or wherever that place was...)... the one who cannot deviate from the "script." Dontcha just LOVE people like that!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for clearing up the "couldn't care less" expression.

I feel the same way.