Monday, November 12, 2007

Sucker segue

Well the tire purchasing went off well. Only $520! And I say only because I was prepared for $650. It was killing me to see the comments yesterday from those who live in snowy climates having never purchased winter tires. But here's the thing as I have been informed of up here: it's not the snow, it's the cold temperatures that makes one need "grippy" tires. Apparently at temps below 0 degrees F, one needs winter tires because even the salt and gravel on the streets don't really melt at such extremes. And it gets below 0 F a great deal up here. At least that's the story I'm going to believe, otherwise, I'm a sucker. And I really hate being a sucker.

Did you know there's a town in Oklahoma where every year "Sucker Day" is celebrated? Yes, the tradition began many years ago when a traveling salesman came to town to announce that the circus would be passing through, posting bills to that effect and talking up the event to the townspeople. Since folks from all over would be coming to see the circus, the town merchants would benefit from having advertising in the circus program. The salesman sold all of the advertising in the programs and left for a week to print the programs so that they would be ready for the circus dates. The next week on circus day, thousands of people from all around the neighboring villages descended on Wetumka to watch the circus come to town. The school band was there, the mayor beamed proudly. There were hot dog vendors and giddy children. They waited and waited. The circus wasn't coming. The mayor, realizing they'd been had, declared the day "Sucker day" and announced that all hotdogs and drinks were free. (Way to make lemonade from lemons, eh?) And now each year, the town hosts the Sucker Day festival which they honor with a parade and carnival like activities.

There are so many expressions that define a sucker. Duped, fooled, had, boondoggled, taken in, bamboozled, tricked, scammed, hornswoggled, conned and deceived. I loathe when any of those adjectives apply to me.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great way to make the best of a bad situation. I think they have sucker day in San Franciso every year too. Except that it has nothing to do with being duped, fooled, had, boondoggled, taken in etc. I believe they sell a lot of knee pads that day.
I hope you need those tires and it doesn't turn out to be a mild Winter.

CoffeeDog said...

Sucker day in SF sounds like more fun!

My adventures said...

Wetumka is part of the tri-city area that includes Holdenville and Wewoka. I only know this because the other two cities are where my parents were born. Sucker Day indeed, it's all starting to make sense now after 46 years!

Anonymous said...

Never heard that story about sucker day, but I've been one way too many times.

I do not think you are being a sucker about the tires. I think you are correct. In my area we have snow and we have cold, but short of a long lasting cold way (which does happen from time to time), our temperatures vary enough to allow for melting or at least for "ice melting" compounds to work.

lattégirl said...

At least you know those tires are good for a few years, right? The price you paid sounds pretty much like what most people I know have paid for winter tires, so I don't think you got suckered.

Loved the segue, by the way!

Snooze said...

Congrats on buying proper winter tires. As for Sucker Day, what an amazingly cool mayor for his reaction to being conned!

Anonymous said...

There is one definition of 'sucker' that brings a smile to some faces. You know the 'sucker' that can de-chrome a trailer hitch? Well maybe that's just up here in Wyoming.
kb

GayProf said...

If I were the hot dog vendor, I don't think that I would have been amused to find that my goods were suddenly declared free.

In the end, we all get played occasionally. I am just happier when I am tricked by a stranger than somebody I know.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Well, buying snow tires in Canada does not connotate a sucker. I still see people around here who put chains on their tires.

I have two good friends who come from Tulsa and they have NOTHING good to say about it.

Rox said...

I went to town yesterday after reading this and while I was shopping in this store, I heard on the radio that in many places in Canada if you DON'T have winter tires and get into an accident, you can be held responsible and they will nail your ass to the wall. They said All-Season radials just don't cut it in Canada so you did the right thing!

Better to be safe than pregnant, I always say.

Cincy Diva said...

Oklahoma also has something called Cherokee Strip Day, Now doesn't that sound enticing?

Perplexio said...

One of my favorite sucker stories was that of when PT Barnum put a horse in a stall backwards and charged people to see "A horse with its head where its tail ought to be."

Patricia said...

dum dum and tootsie pop should totally sponsor that day. and then pay me a consulting fee for working out such amazing, if not obvious, marketing.

now i gotta go kick rox's ass for her last comment.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, Torn, you weren't suckered. We had our first snow/slush event this weekend in Halifax, before I've had time to switch to my winter tires. I simply didn't feel grounded with regular tires and that combination of water, snow and ice on the streets. That's not to say you have to be a yahoo because you have winter tires, but you'll notice a difference in all kinds of winter conditions that you're likely to encounter in Montreal.

Doug said...

I have no idea if you were suckered, but even if you were, try not to feel badly about it. I would like to think you were trusting and good-natured enough to believe in the good nature of others. That's what I would like to think because I've been suckered my fair share.

Cooper said...

I feel better knowing you have proper winter tires. And Rox is right, they will fine you if your vehicle is not properly attired and you are in an accident. Last year one weekend I saw an RCMP officer positioned at the Pine Pass and anyone who only had all season radials wasn't allowed to proceed.

Jeff said...

hehe you said "boondoggled" is that really used somewhere?

bardelf said...

Good about the tires. I just had the ones of my pickup rotated. Always makes me feel quite butch to go to the garage.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

been done, sold up the river

hornswoggled???? that's so funny!!!

mainja said...

In Toronto and Guelph we were always fine with all-season tires. We knew snow tires would be better, but were okay with what we had.

Last year we bought a house out in the country, way more snow (though, not nearly as much as Montreal), *needed* to get snow tires.

The thing to know though is that gas milage is shite on snow tires, so, as soon as spring hits, switch those suckers!

Oh, and the cost of on and off is far less if you buy the rims too. We lease our car and will only have it for another year or so, doesn't make sense for us to buy a set, but our next car will be one we buy, and then we will buy rims.

and now you know...

Anonymous said...

Good toknow that you and the spouse will be safe.

Cuba?

madamerouge said...

Snow tires are a responsible purchase... money well-spent preparing for winter in many parts of Canada.

I have Michelin Energy MX4 all-seasons on my car, and they're not good in snow. Luckily, I don't drive every day. If there's a snowstorm, I can opt out of using my car.