Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Slightly poopy post


Well we did our annual Christmas card photo shoot and although this one did not win the day, I sure liked it. The final will be shown here another day. Serge has to get his photoshop on to further enhance the holiday qualities. Georgie was very well behaved, probably due to the too tight shirt he was wearing. Serge erased Georgie's peen but I don't know how to do that on my computer so there it is.

Last time I went to the vet to get Georgie's vaccinations, Serge had been nagging me to ask about the anal glands. See, we've never had a male dog before and have heard about anal gland woes. Well it turns out, both male and female dogs have the anal glands and they could all develop problems with them. The vet was nice and gave me a lesson on how to check. Feel around 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock and if there's any hardness or a ball, there may be a blockage. Georgie was just fine. If we see him scooting around on his anus though, I'll know just what to check.

Shall we make it a true poop post? I was cracking up the other day over the "pooping pope" which is one of the figurines this year out of Catalonia in Spain. Apparently, tradition dictates that those in the news are represented in full defecation mode. Now, why didn't I know about this? Every year, new pooping figurines are created and become instant collectibles. The article on the tradition claims that the purpose is not to mock those celebrities but rather to pay tribute to them. They also have Michael Jackson and the Dalai Lama this year. Last year they did Barack Obama of course. I'm not a collector of anything, but this might just change that.

Booked a few hotel nights in California between Christmas and New Years. I used Priceline as usual and decided to go for a three star hotel because four stars charge for parking and internet and usually the three stars give you those for free. So my first bid was $45 per night and I won. This means I bid too much most likely. We got the Holiday Inn for three nights and according to their lowest guaranteed internet rate, we paid 37% of that price. Score!  I'm going to do the same thing for Palm Springs but I can't decide if we want a resort or just a lowly three star. I think we'll wait and see what the weather has in store while we are there.

To all of my American friends, here's wishing you a warm and food filled Thanksgiving with family and friends. Although I'll be working, I'll have you in my thoughts. Happy Thanksgiving!

18 comments:

Tim said...

You look really thin in that photo. The diet is working well.

Anonymous said...

Georgie looks as if he is saying to Torn,"get me out of here." Happy Thanksgiving from those of us south of the border. Ted

Anonymous, too said...

Poor Georgie! I can just hear the reaction to the card: "Dear, I thought Torn and Serge had a boy dog. This one's a girl!"

Jeff said...

the palm springs resorts are really nice- but all of them charge an extra $25 a day for towels/internet/parking.

Birdie said...

I wondered when you'd discover those tacky figurines. Good grief. I know: you can display them in your weight room!

You guys are just so handsome. What exactly is Georgie sitting on in the pic?

rox said...

Most of the time, dogs empty their anal glands on their own. If you ever notice a mucous-y film on his poops, it means he's done it. Also, if they get a good fright, they'll empty them spontaneously and it STINKS!

And that, kids, has been your poop lesson of the day!

GayProf said...

My friend's dog has some sort of problem with the anal glands. Man, that mutt smelled something awful. It was how I imagine John Boehner's soul to be.

A Lewis said...

Oh yeah baby, those anal glans are something else! On that note, thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes!

Cubby said...

Congratz on the Priceline thing. I've always been afraid that whole thing was a racket and I never used it to completion. Glad it's working out for you.

Blobby said...

$45/night and bid too much? WHO gets any hotel (even 1 star) for $45 a night? Revel in it.

Oh Georgie. You should have your own show!

Anonymous said...

Dude, haven't even read your post yet. I saw that pic and it was too cute not to rush down, click COMMENT and tell you that. Dog in a Santa suit! Bingo!

Anonymous said...

Happy T-day to you, too.

Tony, the Restless Foodie said...

Cute shot!

I've done the whole "things you do for your dog" but I draw the line with anal glands. I'll just let the vet take care of that.

Bravo on the Cali Hotel! I've never used Priceline but will give them a shot for some of our Euro trips.

Mark My Words said...

I can' t believe a) that after so many poop posts, I still grimace, and b) the price of that hotel room.

anne marie in philly said...

2 handsome dudes and their doggie - not a better opening pix out there today!

happy thanksgiving from philly!

Mel said...

Interesting article. They said that caganer translates as "the fertilizer", but I would read it as "the shitter", since it's clearly from the same root as the Castilian verb cagar - to shit.

Very nice pic, and I think Georgie's peen should be allowed to hang free and proud. And maybe Photoshop in the shitting Pope. For good luck.

CoffeeDog said...

You guys...edit out the peen, haha.

*heart* you

irisgirl said...

Adorable picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!