Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Quandary

Let's say you spend several years working to develp a client base that finally affords you both financial stability and enough free time to nurture other interests.

Then when you're on vacation half way around the world, you meet by chance someone in the same field (and city) as you who encourages you to come and work with his clients.

You think, "Maybe I could be interested in that," and say so.

Yesterday, you meet the vacation acquaintance's boss who (though unable to confirm salary) beseeches you to join their team.

Today, you need to decide if you're going to drop everything you've built up over the last few years to take on a new challenge/adventure.

Well, I don't know what you'd do, much as I don't know what I'll do. And so the platitudes swirl in my head:

-It's not the things in life that you do that you regret, it's the things you don't do.

-You never know until you try it.

-A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

I wish I were more decisive. I've got until thursday to give my answer.

11 comments:

_Psycho said...

I would check more about the salary really. Or about the cash stability ;)

I agree about the years of work thought and I don't know if you enjoy a lots what you do, or it's just "another job".

jjd said...

sign a contract which prevents them from soliciting your clients should it not work out... then, what have you got to lose?

Adam said...

Hmmm...I agree with what JJD said. If I were you I'd have to know more about the salary. It would be too risky for me otherwise.

Kevin said...

There's always the "working for yourself" vs. "working for someone else" thing to consider as well. If you've been on your own for awhile, it may not be an easy transition.

St. Dickeybird said...

Hmmm, tough call.
I guess it would come down to the pay/stability vs your own freedom.

Either way, it shows that you're valued highly.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Go with your gut feeling, not easy to make a big decision quickly.

I hate being indecisive too, but that's the Pisces in me.

epicurist said...

Lots of good advce here regarding confirmation of facts, salary, benefits and also the idea about a contract to prevent soliciting of your clients. Tough decision, but good luck!

Patricia said...

everything happens for a reason. especially running into the first person on vacation and then the person's boss when back in "reality".

do all the homework that you need to, in order to feel comfortable with the facts and then let it go for a bit and see which side (staying or going) seems to nag at you the most.

also consider the fact that this may not be about work at all, but about being nudged to take a risk in another area of life.

Kiss My Mike said...

I think one of the reasons why you’re holding back from grabbing an opportunity is uncertainty. Questions like, “what if things don’t work out” are definitely popping up.

Just remember that life is full of uncertainties. Somewhere along the way we’ll make mistakes, but what is important is that we learned from these mistakes.

Just my two cents though...Goodluck!

jeremy said...

Quit! I dare ya! Take the new job!! I double-dare ya!!!
I just gave up my life for a promotion so I'm telling other people that they should take risks, too.
Best of Luck!!

Anonymous said...

UNABLE to confirm salary, and he is a "boss"??
grow up, it's all about the money!
more=go, less=stay
more hours=no go, no matter what...we know you don't like working so weigh your freedoms carefully my friend.

xx
d