Monday, January 02, 2006

The last day of carefree

Ok, it's the last day of this tequila fest. The last day of too much sun, too little sleep and lots of fun. We've met a ton of people, mostly from Canada (weird, there's more Canadian boys here this week than American) and the northern US cities. There was a kind of circuit party here this week as well so there have been plenty of muscle boys to ogle. Strange though that there are so many couples that I see and I think "They could be brothers." I don't get that, it seems like a lot of people look for a person who closely resembles themselves which leads me to judgements of narcissism. Oh well, to each his own. We've met some really nice people and also some people full of attitude which always makes me laugh. Here was a recent exchange:

Hot guy walks over to ask us for a cigarette. We comply and ask "So where are you from?"

"I live here."

"No, where are you from originally?"

"San Marcos." (As though this is a well known place.)

"Where is that?"

"Texas."

"Oh and what are you doing here?"

"I have a hotel." And then he walks away with nary a thank you.

Later when he (and us) was much messier, Serge decided to tell him about his poor social skills.

Then he was suddenly attracted to us. Very weird. Some people want to be abused I think.

Then there were these two guys from New York who felt it necessary to discuss their vast financial resources without being questioned about such things. (This is an instant turn off for me.) They went on and on about the condo they rented with the servants and the infinity pool and finally asked about our origins. When I said we're from Montreal, one of them said "That's in Canada isn't it? To which I replied with perhaps the weest bit of sarcasm, "Yes, in fact it's a 7-8 hour drive from New York." "Really? I'm not even really sure where Canada is." I thought he was joking and said so and then reminded him that New York BORDERED Canada. He said, I live in New York city, as though it was a completely separate place. Finally I said, "You are shitting me, no one is that stupid." He found this very insulting and went away dragging his cute boyfriend with.

Funny, they were the snobs, but it turned out that I was too, just a different kind.

Ok, people are waiting for the internet station (free here at the hotel) so I'll go. Pictures will be forthcoming as we will be able to post some from California.

Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's celebration and Happy new year to you all.

11 comments:

Adam said...

You've witnessed the well known phenomenon of what psychologists call the Matching Principle. I saw a couple in the grocery store a few days ago that I swear had to be brothers, its very creepy.

I can tolerate many things from a wide range of people but I have to admit that ignorance of geography is one of my biggest pet-peeves. My blood was boiling as I read about your experience.

jjd said...

Hm.. being from upstate new york I can tell you that often we think of New York City as an entirely separate place too, and yes, I know that they would say the feeling is mutual.

I guess you were bound to find some pretentious snobs on a fancy cruise, hopefully it was limited though.

Who's more excited for your return, you or your liver?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm just getting caught up on your blog and I wish I'd seen you were heading to Puerta Vallarta before this!

I typically take an annual trip to PV every early December. I typically stay at Blue Chairs hotel. I hope you got to hang out in old town and did you get to Paco's? There's some good internet cafes in that area with keyboards that work!

http://eurogay.blogspot.com/

nikki said...

Oh Patience, Grasshopper.You can't expect these CITYfolks to concern themselves with such bothersome geography issues...

I'm uncertain whether I could've even exercised the control that you did.

Safe travels home, and wishing you a gentle recovery.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Happy New Year!!

Sounds like you had fun with the snobs!!

I had a good New Year, plenty of drinkies and too much food, ah well back to work today back to normal

CoffeeDog said...

Hope the trip home goes well. Funny the people one meets on vacation. I like that you called that guy stupid to his face!

Snooze said...

Like CoffeeDog, I love the fact you called the guy out on his ignorance. And I LOVE the fact that you are cognizant and decent about other people waiting for the Internet terminal. That's so nice of you. Most people would just hog it forever. Best of 2006 to you and Serge.

St. Dickeybird said...

You're not a snob for calling him stupid. You were honest.
HNY to you both!

my verification word:
lapdansn
sounds fun, non?

Lee said...

Oh goodness. How do people with so little brain get so much money? I'm glad you destroyed them, dear. Next time, set fire to their matching tank-tops too.

Patricia said...

too much sun, too little sleep and lots of fun sounds perfect! here's hoping the transition back to reality isn't too rough.

but then, i've missed you and i care more about my good read than your little transition problems. hey, i would've fit right in with the snobs!

welcome home :)

epicurist said...

Glad you had a wonderful time. I swear stupidity comes in so many dull packages, it's scary.