Saturday, January 14, 2006

This and that, Saturday edition

What a week, man. It feels like I could have posted five topics a day. We found out the cause of death of Serge's brother - basically heart failure from a blocked artery. Also the doc said if he hadn't died this week, it would've been next. It seems to have alleviated some family guilt, since there was nothing to be done to prevent it.

I have been quietly on vacation this week. I say quietly because spouse is working and it would be unkind to gloat about it. Frankly, it's been marvelous puttering about all day, doing what I want. I start work next week, but only minimally so, only six hours committed. After that, it's full time again until May.

Was supposed to quit smoking this week, but didn't, I'm shooting for next week now.

We have had no television since we got back. Actually no satellite because of the construction. It feels good to live without it and rent movies.

Speaking of movies, we watched some this week. The Corporation was depressing, this concept that man has created will be the end of us, surely. Bewitched was cute but rather lackluster, almost like a big setup for sequels, of which there probably won't be any. The War of the Worlds was exceedingly lame, we couldn't stop rolling our eyes at the predictability and at the many inconsistencies. I enjoyed the Upside of Anger, seen mostly from the corner of my eye while knitting.

Knitting, I was a fiend yesterday, spending 7 obsessive hours on it. I am starting to clearly see (I know about the split infinitive rule, but it sounds better that way) all the errors I made at the beginning.

I've been working on my goals list for this year, a practice I was forced to learn while working as a manager, and one that I've kept since leaving the corporate world. When it's done, you'll see it here.

It's raining hard outside, maybe I'll stay home today.

6 comments:

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Hello Torn,

Sorry to hear your news, can't be easy.

How's the knitting going? ;-)

I've managed to get my blog going again it might be more of a weekly link but tis nice to let off steam or whatever rubbish I have in my head at the time.

What movies are you watching?
I'm off to see Brokeback mounting tonight, have you seen it?

_Psycho said...

The Corporation was interresting still, i didnt saw the rest except war of the worlds which was really a bad sucky movie.

Knitting is interesting for a while, I think the problem is you just limited a little bit on what you want to create. Table surface stuff, gnarf*, thing for your feets, carpet, head cap, etc. Hmm well anyway.

I didn't knew you were smoking ! Talk about evil.

Hey it's raining but the good side, the snow is melting !

daringtowrite said...

Was searching for crows when I found your interesting blog. Hope you have fun with the knitting. It gets a lot easier quite quickly, you'll see.

EarthMother said...

Knitting is so fabulously soothing. I used to churn out projects overnight when I suffered from insomnia. Also helped me to quit smoking.
Hurry up and finish the scarf though before the warm weather hits! Good luck!

Snooze said...

You've inspired me to take up knitting. I can't believe you knit for 7 hours. That's great.

epicurist said...

OH, the tough life that you lead...::grrrr::