Saturday, April 26, 2008

Blather

I finally got the films I ordered to show in class this session. I had ordered them a week and a half ago, but due to a mail carrier error (delivered to wrong place) I didn't receive them until yesterday afternoon. One of them was that classic '73 flick Paper Moon where Tatum O'Neal won an oscar at 8 years old. (And who in their right mind names a kid Tatum? Sounds like a skin condition or something.) I haven't watched it in forever, but I'm trying to build a library of films that I can show to classes. I also picked up Same Time Next Year, Rear Window (the Hitchcock original), Silver Streak, and The Graduate. Spouse hit the happy hour with his work peeps yesterday, so I picked up a baguette, sliced it and filled it with the bbq chicken I had made the night before. Then I melted a little cheese on it and sat down to watch Paper Moon. I was about 20 minutes into it when spouse got home. As soon as he saw the television, he started sputtering, "You're watching THAT movie. THAT's the movie! How is it that you have this movie? What is the name of it!" I instinctively shushed him and he pressed on. "I can't believe you have this movie! I saw this movie once but didn't remember the name. What is it called?!" I sighed, put the movie on pause and gave him my attention. It turns out he had seen this movie as a kid and it had made a huge impression on him. He remembered plot details that I didn't and I had to tell him to shut up so he didn't spoil it for me. I've seen it, but that's what's great about me and my brain, after a few years, everything old is new again. Anyway, he was so thrilled to find out that we now own this film. And then he said, "I was just thinking about this movie." Aha! Mr Clairvoyant himself. See spouse doesn't believe in any kind of gobbledygook such as that. Did I ever tell you about the time, we were a few months into our relationship and just as we were going to bed one night spouse said, "We're going to have a big earthquake tonight." I told him that in California such comments are not funny. Sure enough at four in the morning we had the biggest earthquake I've ever lived through. (I'm remembering standing in the doorframe weeping, knowing I'm going to die, hearing the unimaginable crashing sounds outside that turned out to be every chimney in the neighborhood disintegrating.) We watched the rest of the film and then all the special features. Both spouse and I hadn't remembered how hot Ryan O'Neal was in the movie. I guess we both identified with the kid character when we saw it before. Alright, enough blathering, y'all go and enjoy your weekend now.

23 comments:

Snooze said...

I need to go rent that film now.

As for Spouse and the earthquake - that's freaky. And yet he doesn't believe in clairvoyance?

bob said...

Weird ... I just read a Miranda July story about earthquakes this morning.

We're all connected.

Ryan O'Neal was ding dong adoorbell back in those days.

Who aged worse .. him or Jan-Michael Vincent?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Ryan in "Love Story". When Ali McGraw was dying I was so glad it was not Ryan. "Where do I begin? Can love be measured by the hours in a day?"
The Midwest has been having Earthquakes lately. The biggest so far was 5.2 which is small by California standards. Before and during the quake my finches begin fluttering around in their cage. Ed

Greg said...

I guess we're all a little clairvoyant: I was singing "Paper Moon" out in the garden the other day...

What a great assortment of movies--I could watch "Silver Streak" over and over again...

Ryan O'Neal was kind of hot back then, so I guess we can forgive him a loopy name choice, if Tatum herself has, that is.

Patricia said...

I love Rear Window. No matter how many times I've seen it, I always get nervous when that damn dog is sniffing in the garden.

Anonymous said...

It's often amazing to me that the very people who have some of the strongest capacities for the unexplainable abilities are the very ones who demonstrate the greatest abilities for them. I think it may be more that this, as with most things in life, are far more simple to see from a distance. He and others like him are too close to the source of the skill to be aware of its presence.

Hope this and the other movies fill your weekend with joy and lots of time snuggled up on the sofa with the other half.

-C

Jess said...

that's what's great about me and my brain, after a few years, everything old is new again

Now that's a good way to look at things! I don't like when my memory fails me, but I may have to look at it your way. It's a much more positive, "silver lining" approach!

(BTW, my word verification is "sukbc." I wonder what that's about. Hmmm.) :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that about Spouse...

Were you on Cherry street for that earthquake? I was 100 miles away, and I remember it well too. We didn't have too much damage, but the city lost electricity for 24 hours.

Anonymous said...

Read Tatum's book "A Paper Life" It's all kinds of messed up!
My favorite Tatum movie was Little Darlings with Kristy McNichol and Matt Dillon.
-Rox

don said...

I am glad that you put the DVD on pause to focus your full attention on Serge when he had something important to tell you. It's shit like that which can make relationships work. Not that I am some expert on relationships or sumthin but I certainly recognize my past mistakes.
Bonne Weekend

GayProf said...

The problem with using films in class is that you get tired of seeing them over and over again.

Butch said...

"Paper Moon" was on our Cable TV station a month or two ago and I was struck at how good of an actor she was at that young age. It isn't hard to realize why she won the Academy Award for that part. I'm going to revisit the movie again. Thanks for the reminder.

There are no scientific explanations ( as far as I know ) about being able to tap into that area of psychic ability of foretelling the future. I have experienced it not unlike many others. We know we use a very small part of the brain function and perhaps, this phenomenon lies in that area of the brain. It's not unlike looking for the "gay-gene." We know there must be a physical factor in why there are a same gender attractions as well as opposite gender attractions. I wait for science to catch up to what we have known for awhile.

Petie said...

Somehow spouse's earthquake tonight comment made me giggle :P

Did you not think that he was perhaps making joke about how he gonna cause earthquake in bed? :P

Java said...

I've never seen Paper Moon. Now I really want to. I've also never seen Rear Window or Same Time Next Year or Silver Streak. I like The Graduate very much, though. Guess I have my list for the vid. store now.

That BBQ on baguette sounds good!

Birdie said...

What, no "Silence of the Lambs?" What makes a movie good for your class? Interesting selections there.

A Lewis said...

Maybe I should head up to the movie store.....I've never seen it. And my boy is gone tonight so it'll be quiet around here.

dpaste said...

Wasn't Burt Reynolds in Paper Moon as well?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a 'must see' to me! If only I knew who Ryan O'Neal was... ;-(

Anonymous said...

I liked Ryan better in "What's Up Doc?" which is one of my all time favorites. But Paper Moon was pretty good too. I agree with Roxita that I liked Little Darlings better though.

Oh gawd, earthquakes. That is one thing I could never miss about California.

dykewife said...

other good movies are cassablanca and the big sleep. it'd give the students a chance to hear a slight speech impediment but still catch what's being said.

i also totally <3 Dial M for Murder, anohter hitchcock movie.

David said...

I have a manager of who's daughter is named Tatum. Go figure.

FYI, about The Graduate. The scene at the end where Dustin Hoffman runs to the church, a big white marvel of architecture, that chuch is right next door to where I live.

Mark in DE said...

My Spouse & yours are the same that way, neither believing in psychics, clairvoyance, etc. Its quite interesting that both of them have experienced such, yet still claim not to believe.

Mark :-)

Butch said...

By the way, what an handsome picture of you both!!