Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happiness, zing of pleasure, ecstasy

I made it over to the DQ, or the house of happiness. Right as I was leaving home, I remembered the receipt from the market. On the back of the receipt there's usually a coupon for local businesses, among them Dairy Queen. I ruffled through my potential coupon file and found it. I saved one dollar on my banana creme pie blizzard. (I wanted the tin roof sundae one, but couldn't figure out which one it was on the French Menu.)

I checked this page on Environment Canada several times yesterday. Each time a little zing of pleasure coursed through my body, kind of like a body orgasm. I hope you don't take this as gloating.

I know they are just sea bugs, but they inspire ecstasy in one's mouth. And that little cheese toast? Let me just point out that as I was drunk on sunlight skipping through the farmer's market to the crab counter, there was a guy giving small samples of his little farm's goat cheese. I tasted this man's cheese. (I just loved writing that line.) It was like the nirvana version of goat cheese. I can't explain it, the whole "stinky foot" element in goat cheese had been eliminated and it was aged and softened like fine brie. I've never tried anything like it. I asked the nice man for a small chunk and parted with nine dollars for it. So you can see how "cheese toast" doesn't really capture the reality.

21 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Mmmmm, I love goat cheese, blue cheese, almost any strong cheese is ok w/me.

Anonymous said...

Crabs are closely related to Spiders. This is good because they have eight legs instead of six like an insect.
18 is very cold to us here in Farenheit land. It will be 75 here today.
It is almost time to put my houseplants outside. I expect one more cold spell. Ed

Birdie said...

Let me stress that crabs are GIANT sea bugs. I had the adventure of going on a crab boat in Alaska. As he emptied the traps of Dungeness crabs, the fisherman invited me to hold one of these giant spiders: "If you hold it right here, the legs can't reach you." I don't think so. I graciously declined.

You really do not want me to describe the method of harvesting that followed. But even having seen it, I still love to eat crab. Best of all: Gulf stone crab, eaten in the sun and breeze by the shore. Talk about body orgasm: yes, YES, YES.

Patricia said...

A blizzard (and not the awful kind), warm sunshine and crab legs with the bonus of heavenly cheese. You know how to live!

Just try and tell me that anyone who has sunshine and warm temps year round can possibly appreciate it as much as you/we do. I don't believe it.

Greg said...

I'd heard you were having blizzards up there in Canada; glad to hear it's the DQ kind--love that old sign!

Big fan of chevre, as well...so that plus crab legs = double Yum.

Where do you keep this potential coupon file? Is there a little filing cabinet on your bicycle?

RJ March said...

Spiders? Whatever. Delicious, for sure. I love your whole food vibe with this entry. What hunger!

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny you couldn't figure out which sundae was the tin roof one... what's in one of those? Tell the person you want the sundae with this, this, and this in it... hopefully she or he will know which one it is (or maybe not, I seem to recall the folks that work there aren't always working with a bright bulb).

And Patricia, yes, I appreciate the sun and warm temps... I do! That's why I don't live in Montreal or Buffalo, because of my appreciation of warmth.

Anonymous said...

"Feels like" -22C here this morning according to the Weather Network. And it's snowing, although it's not much snow.

I'm getting weather zings too.

It's making me crabby.

HAHAH! I'm the Bizarro World you.
-Rox

Doug said...

Wow, after a day like that, I hope you had a few wet-naps with you to clean up the mess.

don said...

Google saze that tin roof translates to Étain toit. I am pretty sure that is not appropriate for a DQ treat.
BTW. I spit up my morning coffee when I read, "I tasted this man's cheese". Hilarious!

My adventures said...

i could live on good cheese.

Anonymous said...

Heaven, just heaven.

Anonymous said...

Oh my... I am not alone at going to the EC website and getting that little thrill when I see all those 20s and 21s and sunshines. :)

GayProf said...

That is a lot of cheese.

Anonymous said...

I really DO wish we had a DQ here in Holland. It's one of those things you don't really appreciate until it's gone...

Java said...

I am hungry now. I have no access to crab legs or really good cheese. I might go out for ice cream later. Right now, though, I'm just hungry.

Phronk said...

Mmmm...that tin roof sundae ad makes me wanna go to DQ all the time too. Bastards. And I, too, want to taste this man's cheese.

Greg said...

I've been laughing about that cheese line all day...

Snooze said...

I went to DQ yesterday after reading your post about the tin roof sundae. Oddly enough, I didn't order it. It didn't look as appealing as my standard peanut buster parfait. But now I and my waistline are cursing you...

Butch said...

Banana Cream Pie Blizzard and Crab legs with cheeze toast. . . sounds delightful, to me. ( part of that wonderful meal meal was on my diet, and I would loath to say which part. )

Mark in DE said...

A dinner of crab and expensive goat cheese - you are certainly livin' large these day!

Enjoy.

Mark :-)