Saturday, April 01, 2006

How to make perfect french fries

Our friend Dan has shown us the proper method for perfect french fries every time. It's a rather counterintuitive method, but he has repeated it for us many times and it always comes out delish. I decided to take pictures of his work to share with you. Now, Dan recommends Gold Yukon potatoes, but it works with ANY kind. I promise. So the first thing you want to do is cut up the potatoes in thin strips and keep the size small a la McDonalds. Place the freshly cut fries into a bowl with COLD water. Leave it there for at least 5 minutes or up to an hour. (Dan says longer is better, but we are always impatient.)


Now pour out the water and spread the fries out on a dry towel, and lightly dab.

Martinis are not required, but add a certain joviality to the french fry making.

Here is the size that works best for this recipe.

Now the next thing you want to do is put about a half on inch of oil into a pan like the one shown. Use whatever oil you like but we prefer half olive oil, half corn oil. Do not turn on the heat yet!

Put the fries into the cold oil. (I know it's strange, but DO it. Trust me.)

Turn the burner up to med-med high (we have it on 7 on a dial that is 1 -10). Wait. Finish up the rest of the meal. In this case it was my meat from a previous HNT.

Eventually, (and I say this, because it takes a while, but just wait for it, and don't turn up the heat, ok, promise me.) the fries will turn golden. Now you can fish them out and place them in a paper towel lined bowl or plate and sprinkle with salt. Unbelievably good. I swear. Crunchy on the outside and just right on the inside. (And no, this is not an April fool's joke recipe.)

21 comments:

Snooze said...

Yum! Those look delicious.

Chunks said...

I use a deep fryer when I make home fries...I couldn't get away with a tiny little bowl like that either! I have to carve up about ten pounds of spuds to give everyone a nice fix of it. That is why we hardly ever do it...we'd all have heart attacks!

I love the last picture with the Sara in it (that is Sara isn't it?) she looks smaller in that picture. Maybe you could hold up a loony or a toony and show us how big she is in comparison! Heehee, I am teasing you!

Jason said...

I'd try this but as you know the name of my blog is 25% Fat, and I'm trying to lose 15 lbs before gay softball starts up (I joined last night - God help me).

GayProf said...

Your fries look yummy (as I am sure that your, um, meat is as well).

All of it seems like a great deal of work for me, though. Can I just go directly to, and stop at, the cocktail?

Adam said...

I love cooking blog entries soooo much!! Sounds good but I am always trepidatious about frying in the home, the smell can linger for days but its worth it in most cases.

Okay the pictures of the cut fries on the blue background look like rolled joints. Just an observation.

Anonymous said...

If you read these comments, I hope that someday you will do an entry on that famous Quebecois dish called "Poutine." I'd love to hear your views as a non-native.

CoffeeDog said...

I like how you placed coins next to the freanch fries to give an idea of their size :-)

D e s i g n Girl said...

First off, I might have to give this a shot. This looks foolproof and they look great. 2ndly, loved the martini addition (and cool looking glass btw). 3rd, your dog sitting below the stove in the picture was hilarious. That is how my 2 always are, hoping something might "fall".

jjd said...

mmm. i hope doggy pictured in the last frame gets a fry for helping supervise that process!

Anonymous said...

I tried your recipe tonight and it was great! thanks

Wayne said...

Mmmmm Yummy~

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe last night. I have tried just about every recipe out there for the perfect fries. I have tried the double fry method where you prefry at 300-325 and then fry later at 375. They were ok but not what i was looking for. Ive also tried the method where you boil the fries for a couple minutes then fry. Again ok but not what i was looking for. I tried this last night and they were the best ive tried. They were a little on the chewy side but still dang good. Thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

I was hesitant at first,but it really works! I always heard don't put the fries in the pan til the oil is very hot but I always had problems with that technique.Thank You for sharing on how to make perfect fries

rjvacad said...

I have tried many different ways to make fries and none seem to work so well. When I saw Sally's, I thought how could that work, everybody else wants me to double fry? I tried it and yes indeed, I made perfect fries, wow, thanks Sally!!

Dj said...

looks yummy...i am going to try it now....

Anonymous said...

THESE WERE GREAT!!! THANKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was a doubter...Now I am a believer. Thanks! Any suggestions about making big batches? Is it better to use more than one pot, or can you add more oil and more fries?

Anonymous said...

Hi. This method was developed by Joël Robuchon. Ingenious!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Custom Boxes U said...

Thanks for sharing this useful information. CustomBoxesU can offer the best bundling arrangement, including the degree of solace and adaptability for the shoppers on the loose. Get charming bundling boxes for your quality food thing! We can deliver the especially designed French fry boxes wholesale rate without delivery charges. Paperboard material is broadly used for the creation of customized French fry boxes.

Packaging Ninjas said...


With our most recent printing and styling procedure, we can help make your uniquely printed pad boxes with a logo and energize your image picture in the market. What we are offering is such incredible printing and stylist Custom Bakery Display Trays Boxes Wholesale that it will end up in making your brand’s image. Your clients will consequently accept your item whenever they have perceived how you encased it. PackagingNinjas can make any possible style of Bakery Display Trays boxes.

Custom French Fry Boxes
Custom Printed Kraft Boxes
Bath Bomb Packaging Boxes