Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Food Meme

I got this from Lyvvie

1) Bold all the items you have eaten.
2) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

You'll notice that nothing is crossed out. That's because never say never is a big truth, at least in my life. The best thing about doing this meme was discovering a bunch of things I didn't know about. Thank god for wikipedia.

1. Venison - Certainly
2. Nettle tea - No clue what it is, I'll go look. No, but if I get arthritis, I'll check it out. It's really made out of that terrible terrible plant, nettles.
3. Huevos rancheros - One of the most sorely missed things from California, sigh.
4. Steak tartare - Every chance I get. I've never made it myself though.
5. Crocodile - No, and it doesn't sound appealing. I'm sure I'd eat anything if it were a matter of life and death.
6. Black pudding - gross gross gross
7. Cheese fondue - Yes. But it always clogs up the pipes. Never ever eat this two nights in a row.
8. Carp -I don't think so, unless there's some kind of sushi carp.
9. Borscht - Maybe. Can't really recall. I hate those beets that they sometimes put on salads though.
10. Baba ghanoush - I'm pretty sure I did over at Madame Mila's. (My Armenian/Russian French teacher.)
11. Calamari - Yes, and my favorite is the giant calamari at that dim sum place in Chinatown. I always want to say it's called Kim Phat, but it's not that.
12. Pho - Yes, and here it is called Soupe Tonkinoise. I highly recommend it.
13. PB&J sandwich - Still one of my favorites for lunch.
14. Aloo gobi - Had to look this up. Looks like potatoes, cauliflower, turmeric and sundry spices, garlic, ginger whathaveyou. I would try it.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Oh yes, I have a hard time ever passing that up.
16. Epoisses -I don't think so.
17. Black truffle - Yes. It tastes like dirt. I really don't grasp the hubbub over it.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - Apple and plum at least.
19. Steamed pork buns - I think I had those in Hong Kong.
20. Pistachio ice cream - One of my favorites.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - Yes, bee eff dee
22. Fresh wild berries - Yes, and I get all squeally and girly when I discover them.
23. Foie gras - Yes. We just discovered that they sell some at the market in little small packets. It's like 5 dollars a bite, but oh so worth it.
24. Rice and beans - Of course. A perfect protein.
25. Brawn, or head cheese - No, one of my earliest posts was about that.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - I think I have. I wasn't as manly as I had imagined myself to be.
27. Dulce de leche - All you do is put a can of eagle brand in a bain marie for three hours. Voila. We like to spread it onto Social Tea cookies.
28. Oysters - Yes, but I'll probably stick to cooked and smoked.
29. Baklava - Yes, meh. I may have it once or twice again in my life. Or not.
30. Bagna cauda - God, no. There's a cup and a half of butter, 3/4 cup of olive oil and a bunch of anchovies in that.
31. Wasabi peas - Yummy.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - Yes, in San Fran and Newport, Oregon.
33. Salted lassi - No
34. Sauerkraut - Yes, it's yummy on hotdogs.
35. Root beer float - Of course. And just reading it made me whimper.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - YES, but the cigar made me vomit.
37. Clotted cream tea - I don't think so.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - How embarrassing to have to say yes.
39. Gumbo - Yes, the spicier the better.
40. Oxtail - I'm not sure. If I have, it didn't make a big impression.
41. Curried goat - Curried other animals, but I don't think goat.
42. Whole insects - Not intentionally.
43. Phaal - I don't think so.
44. Goat’s milk - No, but I did milk a goat once at the zoo.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Yes, I think I tried everything in the house when I was in the restaurant biz.
46. Fugu - No but would try once.
47. Chicken tikka masala - No, and it amazes me that it's Britain's true national dish.
48. Eel - yes. Sushi.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Yes, but it made me feel gluttonous and dirty.
50. Sea urchin - Again, sushi.
51. Prickly pear - Yes, the cactus.
52. Umeboshi - No, but I have tried natto.
53. Abalone - Yes, my parents used to scuba dive and get them and mom would pound them up and cook them. Yum.
54. Paneer - This is Indian Cheese. So no, but maybe if I visit India.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Sadly, yes.
56. Spaetzle - Yes, big deal.
57. Dirty gin martini - Can't say no to that.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Yes, gross.
59. Poutine - Here I am in Quebec. It's practically a staple here.
60. Carob chips - Yes.
61. S’mores - Yes. But not for a long time now.
62. Sweetbreads - Yes, but it was by accident. I thought it was chicken.
63. Kaolin - Hmm, my rock and dirt eating days are over.
64. Currywurst - I don't think so, but sounds like a winner.
65. Durian - No, but I would love to smell it. I'm going to look in chinatown.
66. Frogs’ legs - Just like chicken, it's true.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - I'm always up for a little fried dough.
68. Haggis - No, and of all the things on this list, this is the one I'd most likely cross out. Yuck!
69. Fried plantain - Yes, oddly, at a vietnamese restaurant.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - Do fried pork rinds count? No? I'm sure it's pretty much the same thing. Fried flesh.
71. Gazpacho - Yum. What a delight in the summer.
72. Caviar and blini - Yes, and it's gross. No, I'm serious, plain gross.
73. Louche absinthe - No but would love to.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - No, and now I must try it. I'll eat any cheese. (Except dick and toe, ahem.)
75. Roadkill - Is that some kind of joke? No. But I suppose if I hit a deer or something, I might try to salvage some meat.
76. Baijiu - It's 20 - 40 percent alcohol. Bring it on!
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - I tried one last year and it was the grossest thing ever. I can't believe I ever liked them as a kid.
78. Snail - Oh sure. At least monthly if not weekly.
79. Lapsang souchong - Yes. Big deal.
80. Bellini - Yummy!
81. Tom yum - That looks delish. I'm going to have to try it.
82. Eggs Benedict - Yes, and my new favorite is carmelized onions and goat cheese in place of the canadian bacon.
83. Pocky - Yes!
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - A must do before I die.
85. Kobe beef - No, but one day I will.
86. Hare - if this is the same thing as rabbit, then yes.
87. Goulash - yes.
88. Flowers - The ones they put on salads sometimes, yes.
89. Horse - Yes, but not until I moved to Quebec. It's like beef, but more "beefy" tasting.
90. Criollo chocolate - I don't know.
91. Spam - Sure.
92. Soft shell crab - I've had it as tempura.
93. Rose harissa - Probably in some fancy dish sometime, somewhere.
94. Catfish - Ooh, I love catfish. It's been a while though.
95. Mole poblano - Oh yes. I can't believe it isn't more popular up here than it is.
96. Bagel and lox - Yes, but I prefer avocado to lox.
97. Lobster Thermidor - Yes, but I prefer it cold with mayo.
98. Polenta - I could never see the hubbub over this. It's like bad cornbread.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - No, what makes it special?
100. Snake - I don't think so. I guess I've never eaten a reptile. I better get on that.

If you'd like to do this meme, go for it. But please note that you will not save time or energy by doing a meme. This one takes forever!

18 comments:

Birdie said...

I've had alligator. Meh.

In South America, I was served some sort of rectangular slab of something whitish. I turned it over and the other side was pink with HAIR still on it. It was pork fat. I poked it a few times but I could not make myself eat it.

Petie said...

Tom Yum is best when it's hot and spicy :dddd.

The tastiest one is with prawn, though there are many varieties alternate main ingredient such as squid, chicken, and mushroom.

The best one is the thick soup which coconut milk is added along with fried chilli paste.

I should know it's a Thai dish ;)

Lemuel said...

It looks like an interesting one, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I've had Rattlesnake. It was deep fried and very chewy. Anyone who bought "beef" from Wal-Mart has eaten Horse. They import it from Australia. I've heard that Nettles make the best greens but picking the leaves has a price. I've eaten roadkill. There are many deer here and when one gets killed on the road there is a waiting list. ed

lattégirl said...

I assume Black Pudding is blood pudding. I can't think of anything less appealing in this world, except possibly a slab of pork fat with hair still on it.

I didn't see brains on this list, although maybe I missed it. They often LOOK really delicious, but are inevitably disgusting in texture.

Rox said...

This meme scared me because I am not an adventurous food person. Like totally not. I don't even want to know what half those things are!

GayProf said...

Given that I don't like fish or seafood, I was surprised by how many of the fish items on this list I have actually eaten.

I wondered what Criollo chocolate was...

dpaste said...

Baklava-meh? Really? I adore it.

I can't believe you've never had Chicken Tikka Masala. It's like the Pad Thai of Indian Food.

I make blinis with caviar now and then and have had them as my entire meal at Russian restaurants. I think they're delicious.

And you eat snails, ~shudder~

I think there's a definite disconnect between our two palates.

dpaste said...

latte girl: sweatbreads are brains.

Jen said...

Haggis is really just savoury oatmeal. Good as a side dish... once a year (i.e.: Robbie Burns Day). It's the stomach that grosses people out which I don't get as the fancy sausages at the deli are usually in intestine casings.

You've never had mutter paneer (curried peas and cheese cubes) or saag paneer (spinach and cheese curry) at the Indian restaurants? Between that and the chicken Tikka Masala, you are missing out. You're first stop the next time you are in London is Brick Lane.

I'm surprised Steak and Kidney Pie wasn't on this list, but perhaps that's only exotic to N.Americans/ USians. I do like that... and black pudding -- I guess my Irish/ UK heritage is hardwired (and the fact that I was only ever made to try things not clear my plate)

Jen said...

David, I respectfully disagree: sweetbreads are glands: thymus & sometimes pancreas (depending who you ask).

lattégirl said...

DAVID: Sweetbreads are pancreas, not brains.

Anonymous said...

Never tried Spam.

Greg said...

This is clearly NOT our Patrick, but I guess this guy is reacting to #28--doesn't Leviticus say something about no shellfish...?

Personally, I LOVE the raw oysters...plenty of other good stuff on this list, but I'll need time to wiki the rest before I meme it m'self...

dykewife said...

though speitzl might not be a special thing, making it properly is an art in and of itself. it's amazing to watch the process.

this patrick is an idiot who seriously spammed another blogger i read.

mom 7blood sausage (blood pudding) and would make it a couple of times a year. i can't say i was wild about it, but i ate it. my neighbours called it black pudding or black sausage so the kids would eat it.

the blue mountain coffee is fairly good, but i still prefer the maragogipe that used to come from mexico...since the government went in and wiped out many of the aboriginal peoples there that particular coffee has stopped coming up here. :(

Anonymous said...

Jesus. I hope Patrick comes out soon or he will bog down the internets with his desperate commenting.

I will serve nettle tea to you the next time you are in town. Also, you ate natto? Dude you are so studly. Also, you must have had Indian cheese. It's in many Indian dishes. Also your mother served us salmon belly today. The Best Thing Ever. Ever.

TJ said...

I'll be stealing this for a post in the not to distant future. Interesting meme because it does make you think about some of the food you've/I've never tried plus some things you/I don't even know what they are (as you said thank god for Wikipedia)

Butch said...

With Chitterlings, it's all in the preparation. This of course, is the GI tract of a pig. One also seasons it with white pepper as opposed to black. ( black pepper makes it look like the Chitterlings haven't been cleaned properly.)

Black pudding definitely, is a blood pudding. The Irish make this as well as the white pudding for their "Irish breakfast" meals. Both have plenty of oatmeal mixed in and I guess I'm the only one in my family who actually likes it.