Monday, September 01, 2008

Ho hum

I have no clue what this flower is. It's just dumb luck that it came out so clear. I was messing around with the super macro function yesterday at the botanical gardens, and one of the dozens of pictures I took was a winner. This one. Serge thinks it's good enough to be sold on istockphoto, but I think you truly need a professional camera for that. I'd love it if someone knew what kind it is, because otherwise I'm going to have to go back to the gardens and find out in order to mollify spouse. The flowers are very small and appear in clumps all over the plant. Each flower is about the size of a thumbnail.

Saturday's paper came on Sunday, but I probably should have saved it for today, since there is none. All the news is about Gustav anyway, and me being me, I'm devouring it constantly through the internet. He should be ashore in a couple of hours, though it seems like he's jogging a teeny bit west this morning. I don't think New Orleans will flood like last time. Still, it's good that every smart person got out. I'm not sure if the dumb who dawdle deserve to die, but it'd be tough to be sympathetic this time around. (The alliteration was accidental.)

Wow this post is boring even me. And that's saying something since both knitting and the weather channel can hold my interest for hours. It's labor day, and I won't be doing any. Just blobbing around before going to mother in law's for dinner. Have a lovely day.

17 comments:

Mel said...

It's lovely, but I'm afraid it's not one that's familiar to me. I love Les Jardins Botaniques, even though it's been many, many years since I visited them.

Snooze said...

That photo is gorgeous, but I can't help you either in identifying it. As for the evacuation, I wonder if it's the poor who are left? For the middle class and wealthy who have cars and whatnot to take their pets and belongings, I have no sympathy if they stayed.

My adventures said...

Don't know what that's called, I have seen it before but am drawing a blank, beautiful pic. As far as New Orleans, it's on the bad side of the storm so it may flood worse than before. It really depends in the next few hours and those levees. The levees that'll be tested now weren't tested so much with Katrina. The angle it's coming in could help too. I've been glued to the tube watching. The little city where my parents used to live is taking a direct hit. In Houston, we won't get anything other than rain and evacuees. All the hotels in town are full!

Anonymous said...

I believe the flower is a Floss Flower with the scientific name Ageratum. They grow along the roads here in the midwest and are blooming right now.
The Republicans are so lucky that Bush isn't going to speak at their convention. Now if only McBush could be silenced. ed

Patricia said...

Beautiful photo.

Knitting and the weather channel. Heh.

Lovely Labor Day wishes to you, too.

Anonymous said...

Canadia has Labor Day too? Wow!

The hurricane has weekened. No doubt this is much to the chagrin of Republicans who seemed to be praying for total devastation in order to grab some political glory from their response. Ick! But to them I say HA HA!

Rox said...

Newspapers are such a waste of paper anymore, thanks to the internet. I'm staying away from all Gustav news. That is such an idiotic name for a Hurricane. Gustav. Give me a break!

Jess said...

I agree that it's hard to be sympathetic, but it looks like even those dumb ones may catch a break this time.

You have a lovely day, too!

don said...

Dude, you are in Canada now which means (amongst other things) that it is Labour Day today. Note the spelling, it's called English. Heh, heh

CoffeeDog said...

As soon as I woke up, I turned on the Weather Chan to get the latest on the hurricane. Now it looks like there is another one brewing, and it's path may include Georgia. While Atlanta is far away from the coast, we're still prone to rather severe weather due to hurricanes.

GayProf said...

It is good luck for the Republicans that there is a convenient excuse to strike both Bush and Cheney from their schedule.

Anonymous said...

I'll second the Ageratum nomination. They are often used in mass plantings.

cheers,
M

Greg said...

I'm late to the party with the "ageratum" answer, though I wouldn't have been so specific about "flossflower", which sounds right to me. Pretty picture, though!

I'm looking forward to exploring this istockphoto thing more after autumn has set in.

I'm glad to see someone corrected you on your national spelling of the day's occasion. Knitting and the weather channel sounds like a nice day off to me...

lattégirl said...

The "u" in Labour falls within the bounds of Canadian and British English.

My comment is boring me.

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

Love those flowers....and it's a great shot!

:_)

Tony Adams said...

That flower is indeed a perennial ageratum, not to be confused with the more popular annual ageratum. One should always plant some of these because they bloom late in the summer when other things are spent. For the same reason, one should always plant some physostegia. The reason few people grow perennial ageratum is simply that when it appears in the garden and does not produce a blossom during early and mid summer, people forget they planted it, and assuming that it is a weed, they pull it up. (I know this from experience.)

Curtis said...

I believe they are asters. Lovely flowers, very weedy type plants.