Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Sara cookie corn hole

Look at how pretty sara is. Over at MIL's house yesterday, she got tuckered out running around the yard and fell down the stairs trying to go up the deck, twice. Once, she made it up the 5 deck stairs by herself, but the other times made us all feel bad feelings. I don't know what those bad feelings are. Pity? Guilt? Wanting to euthanize? Whatever they are, they're bad. But gosh darn she's a pretty doggie.

Okay let me ask you something. If you were to see this box of individually wrapped cookie-slash-cakes in the market, what would you imagine to be the very first ingredient? You'll probably guess something like sugar, flour or chocolate. You would be totally wrong though, because the very first one is coconut. I really don't like coconut, so when I tasted it in the cookie, I looked at the box and decided that I was imagining the coconut taste, the coconut texture. It was only after turning the box to view the ingredients that I saw that it was basically a coconut ring with caramel and dipped in chocolate. I guess if they say "german chocolate" on the box, they mean coconut.

Speaking of corn, we are all spoiled now by David's recipe, because how can you eat corn any other way once you've had it slathered with mayonnaise and freshly grated parmesan? Delicious is not a powerful enough word.

Spouse's corny hole.

21 comments:

My adventures said...

As long as she's having fun, it's not her time! The feeling is not wanting your baby to be in any pain, it's called being a mother! Ha!

Glad you guys are passing around the recipe! It's really the best EVER!!!

CoffeeDog said...

Aw, poor Sara. She is a good doggie, I can tell just by looking at her.

Cord w/mayo? Ew.

Anonymous said...

Sara is enjoying her last days and isn't that what we all want?
Don't worry about missing the corn after you eat it for if you look I'm sure you'll see those yellow kernels once more. ed

Snooze said...

Sara is adorable.

Patricia said...

Okay, it's official. I love Sara. That face! It makes me want to hold her face in my hands and make disgusting babytalk sounds.

Rox said...

Serge's mouth slathered in corn looks like some sort of weird sea anemone or something.

Sara is gorgeous. It must be hard to watch her struggle.

Doug said...

Sara is too pretty for words. I know how those bad feelings feel.

lattégirl said...

Stop with the guilt. She's a breed that will typically get arthritis and/or hip problems with age. Take her to the vet for a thorough checkup and ease your feelings that she is otherwise healthy. Cuz she does look happy, and why would one euthanize a happy dog?

don said...

When Sara falls down the steps and can no longer get back up and then pet sauces her corn hole. Then it might be time for her.
Big hugs to you and to her.

anabel said...

I love the satisfied look on Sara's face.

I'm going to try to corn that way.

dpaste said...

That last picture is worse than any description of defecation you've ever made on this blog. Ugh!

German Chocolate invariably means coconut. It's a principle ingredient of any German Chocolate cake.

I'm with Coffee Dog. Eew.

GayProf said...

I would be less concerned about the coconut than the wax that they consider "chocolate."

Anonymous said...

Serge has such a strange mix of propriety and willingness to have weird pictures taken of him.

Sara looks so good. It's just called being old. I hear it sucks.

ME said...

Awww..pretty puppy!! I must try that corn recipe! I don't like coconut either I'm not buying any of those!

Franciscus van Munster said...

There is not enough mayonaise in the world to make me eat corn on the cob (especially not after seeing those two disgusting pictures)

Mel said...

I love sweet old dogs. I also do the end-of-life talk for a lot of their owners. While watching my own aging pet population at home.

It's already been said, but what it really comes down to is whether they're having more bad days than good. It's a fairly subjective measure, but as long as they're able to eat/drink/pee/poop and you can manage their health issues without them being overly distressed, then they're generally good to keep going. If not, then it's time to make some decisions.

Aging, in my experience, can be a real bitch.

Butch said...

I just made corn on the cob recently and wished I'd have read this way of serving it. It sounds yummy! Sara is looking pretty good but she may not realize that as an older dame, she needs to take her time going up and down stairs.

Lacey said...

Sarah stumbles going up the stairs and you're ready to euthanize? JEEbus christmas. WTF is that all about?

Anonymous said...

Homersekshulz are sinners!
That photo of Serge's mouth is practically obscene...but he has a nice lower lip.

Anonymous said...

Few things in life are as good as fresh, sweet corn on the cob.

Mark in DE said...

Sara is a beauty.

Serge, on the other hand...

Just kidding. These photos made me smile.

Mark :-)