Saturday, September 06, 2008

In broad daylight, too

It was a cushy day yesterday. I didn't have any classes, oddly, and finished my chores by ten. I decided to do a big walk before it got too hot. I headed straight for the library to look for a couple cds. You'll laugh. I got Hair, the original broadway cast recording, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Liza Minelli at Carnegie Hall. (Hi, homo much?) I was listening to JC Superstar on the ipod as I left the library. I headed toward the village through the slightly skanky bus depot area. As I was walking down the street, it seemed that out of nowhere a man appeared. This all happened very quickly, but it seemed as though he was careening toward me, Then there was a kind of monster that woke up inside of me. Danger signals popped and adrenaline squirted into my veins. I rammed him with a force at least equal to his, which was considerable. (This morning, my whole left shoulder is sore and tender.) At the same time as the collision, I shouted in a low gravely growl, "HEY!" The guy hurried away and shouted, "Sorry, sorry."

I was pretty shaken up.

What did the guy want? My backpack? My wallet? Shit my wallet. I felt around and was relieved to find it still in my back pocket. Good thing too, since I had $600 of rent money I was on my way to deposit. It would have been easy to pickpocket me when the incident occurred. I headed to a cafe to settle down. That adrenaline is a powerful drug, my heart was pounding and my limbs quivering. And who was that monster that woke up inside me? I was awful glad it did, but it wouldn't have happened if something inside me hadn't sensed danger. If the guy had come at me from behind, I would have gone down for sure.

I learned a couple things. One, don't go down that sketchy stretch of de Maisonneuve behind Place Dupuis. Two, I can truly say, "Don't fuck with me," cause I've got an aggressive monster that lives inside me that I'm not in control of. I suppose the monster is part of that flight or fight instinct, it's just so unusual for us humans to experience it in modern times. Or unusual for me anyway.

I think I'll hang out around the house today.

19 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Wow, glad you're ok. That flight or flight instinct, it's freaky wqhen it comes up!

Anonymous said...

Damn! you go gurl! If I ever come to Montreal I want you beside me as I tour. I'm so glad yu were not hurt or robbed. The shoulder pain is kinda like a badge of courage. I would have ran and screamed like a girl afte I gave him everyting in my pockets. Jesus Christ, Torn, you're a Superstar, even if you don't think you are. ed

Mel said...

VUBOQ's recent experience likely primed you to be alert, too. Having been in a lot of places where that sort of thing happens and having been shaken down for money before, I always keep an eye out for danger. And remember to aim for the balls first.

Birdie said...

I've used adrenaline in fear as a young girl, and I can tell you it's powerful stuff. Today, I'd face off with anyone who threatened my children. Don't ever step between a mother and her offspring. That monster lives in all of us, and it's there for a reason.

Polt said...

If you're hanging around the house, be cafeful not to unless the monster on Serge.

...unless of course it's part of foreplay...then, have at it.

HUGS...

vuboq said...

wow. crazy. glad you're OK :-) and i'm glad Spouse is there to take care of you! Make him fix you lots of martinis!

lattégirl said...

The whole thing could have been a lot worse, thank god you weren't robbed and injured. Guy coulda had a knife.
Take it easy today! (I know, it's rainy, but at least the heat has dropped.)

Rox said...

As someone who panics, for me that adrenaline rush is always just a few freaky thoughts away. It takes a while to come down off that ledge. Stay in. Relax. Listen to your zany library music! :)

Anonymous said...

I think that monster comes from urban living. I used to have it in LA where you had to constantly be alert to your surroundings due to all the crazies and wackos that were out and about on a daily basis. Take care of that shoulder! You must have really slammed into him to have pain a day later!

don said...

I would be attacking people on the street too if I had to listen to that playlist. Lisa Minelli? I would commit Cabaret Carnage on the streets!

A Lewis said...

Hair? i love that.....wish I'd been around during those days.

Will said...

WOW--you have great self-preservative instincts and the strength to pull them off. Good for you--and that monster inside sounds kind of hot. :-)

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Tom's book. I'm glad that you are okay. I spent yesterday afternoon with this weird feeling like if someone attacked me I would go all passive and let them. I kept thinking, "if someone attacked me right now, they would win." I think that's strange.

Mark in DE said...

Those CDs made me laugh, as I considered how stereotypes are usually rooted in at least some truth.

The incident in the alley sounds scarey! I'm glad you weren't injured, mugged, or robbed.

Mark :-)

Franciscus van Munster said...

Goes to show, all a girl needs to feel brave is a few decent showtunes in her bag

Doug said...

Have you ever considered karate or another martial art to attempt to tame the monster?

Glad you're okay. I'm with you on the adrenalin thing. Powerful stuff.

Snooze said...

I'm so glad you are okay. What a shock reading this.

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

It's a good thing that you're a big guy with a fight instinct...

Butch said...

Well done, grasshopper!!