Saturday, June 16, 2007

This 'n that

The last three days have been spent here at home. I've had to wait for three separate deliveries of parking meters. Yesterday's promise of a morning delivery proved hollow, as they came at 2. Serge assigned me the lovely task of removing all the stickers from them and then rubbing off the residual glue with paint thinner. Not that I'm complaining, I still can't believe this project fell in our lap.

Oh and that reminds me. There's this amazing site that I discovered, it's called cruisecompete.com. You plug in the cruise you want and remain anonymous. Then you are emailed offers from travel agencies. If you want to book, you call the travel agent and secure the price. Why hadn't I known about this before I booked directly with the cruiseline?! I decided to try it and received three offers, one of which was $540 less than the price we booked for. What!? No! Suddenly I felt reamed. Then I sprung into action, posted for advice on message boards and discovered I could just transfer my existing booking and pay the cheaper price. Which of course, is what I promptly did. Not bad for a couple of hours work!

So anyway, it's parking meter painting weekend. Plus, I would like to try a tofu recipe! (Thanks to all who shared, yesterday.) Also, I've simply got to make Patricia's peanut butter pie recipe. I'll take pics of all these things. Good weekend everyone!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think they would outsource meter painting to Midwest U.S.? Be sure to provide plenty of ventilation while painting. Get a video of the fiasco, I mean painting.

Anonymous said...

Man, it sounds like you and Serge have found your lucky stars! As my Dad would have said you have fallen into the shithouse and come up with gold! Way to go on the cruise! Happy painting (or glue removing)!

Snooze said...

You are amazing at finding online travel deals. Good luck with the parking meters!

Enemy of the Republic said...

You know, if we can swing it, we want to take a cruise this summer. My dream cruises: 1. Around the Artic Circle in the summer months
2. South Sea--with all the islands like Tahita, whereever the Bounty went (Mutiny on the Bounty)

What I can afford: Carnival.

Chef Jules said...

Happy painting, tofu concocting and PB pie making. I posted a PB pie on my blog the other day (scroll down a few from the top). I recommend a thick layer of melted chocolate on the top. A drizzle just doesn't do it for me!

GayProf said...

Peanut butter pie sounds like a good reward for all that work.

Anonymous said...

Yipee!! I'm bookmarking cruisecompete.com for our next vacation!! I've been on a few cruises but had never heard of it!!
Thanks for sharing the tip :)

Happy Parking Meter Weekend!!

Chunks said...

Now I want to paint and eat peanut butter pie! Well, maybe just the pie part.

Good for you for finding the better deal! You are so savvy! I love that Serge "assigns you a task" I think that is cute!

A Lewis said...

Careful with the cruise website....I've already found through other online cruise agencies that not are all the same. Some promise certain cabins or categories but don't deliver the one you think you are booking. Some don't assign a cabin until day of departure even though they promise it when you book. I WANT A PIECE OF PIE (don't we all).

Rick Rockhill said...

hey there cool blog. I've been on a few cruises. Most recently to the Panama Canal for 19 days from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle. I wrote a daily travelk blog from the ship with photos and stories. Sto by sometime, it starts back on April 18th and runs thru may 6th

Devo said...

Nice score on the deal for the cruise, you savvy shopper you! The thought alone of the PB pie makes me salivate. Have fun cleaning and painting the meters, I just love this idea, what a great use for the old meters. Have a great weekend!!

A Bear in the Woods said...

I just adore the way you so energetically add $540 to your net worth.
Take a snapshot of some sun kissed, scantily clad Mediterranean lad for me, please. That's as close as I'll get to a cruise for a little while.

Anonymous said...

First, I enjoyed the Snipets below. It's been too long since I've sampled some TW Snipets.

Second, great work on the cruise fare savings. Thanks for passing on that website.

Patricia said...

oh how i love being able to take advantage of a deal even after i've purchased something! i'm not into cruises but i gotta bookmark that site, it sounds too good to be true.

r said...

I tell you, it's all about the bargains.

If you saved $540, then how the heck much is the cruise costing you? Wow.

I've never been on a cruise myself.

the parking meters look fabulous.