Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Biggest profit ever

I'm not the best at giving well though out arguments. I realize this now. Back at university, I used to get very frustrated with my dense professors. Couldn't they understand my logic when I wrote a paper? Do I have to spell it out for them? Can't they get the link between this sentence and the several before it? What is wrong with them, shit I could teach this class. Ah the hubris so prevalent in youth. I say all this because I want to rant a little bit, and I'm sure it will be scattered and ill-organized. Be thankful that it will also be short.

You did see that the oil companies rang up record profits in the first quarter of 2008, didn't you? Maybe you missed it since it was buried far away from page one. Those tough-as-nails journalists really asked the hard questions too, like how is it you made record profits when the price has gone up so drastically of late? (In case you missed it, I was going for sarcasm there.) Those oil PR people, man, if there is a hell, those people are headed straight for it. "Well, gosh, our hands are tied. It's supply and demand you know, and anyway, what's good for those oil company investors is good for all of us." Oh how my blood boils when I see these softball questions bounced back with bullshit answers. Supply and demand? Supply and demand? But you create both! The oil companies squelch the development of other energy forms, such as electric powered vehicles. Their goal is simple, ensure that their product is necessary and then control the supply. And that wouldn't even be all that bad, I mean capitalism pretty much dictates that profits be generated and protected. But in this chokehold they've got on all of us, they are also causing the slow destruction of the planet. Guess what happens when we despoil the planet. We all lose. With half the money spent thus far in Iraq (I believe the invasion was all about the oil) we could have changed the entire automotive infrastructure in North America so that cars no longer ran on gas, and this would have released our countries from their dependence on other countries for energy needs. And then we would be more powerful. But no. Instead big oil is going to ruin us, all of us.

I'm not a paranoid guy, I'm not a consiracy theorist, and maybe I don't give well-reasoned arguments, but I firmly believe that big oil is the most aggressive cancer on the body of capitalism. And for what? For that fictitious substance we call money. It just boggles my mind.

Kay, I feel better now.

23 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

The oil thing sends me into a rage too.

I have never been one to worry about things, worldly things, but lately, with all that's been going on, I have started to have this nagging going on in the back of mind.

Not only could we do ok w/green energy, it'd create jobs too.

Snooze said...

A+.

I had never thought about all that money in Iraq going to development of green energy instead. makes sense.

Anonymous said...

What about the $850 Billion spent so far in Afghanistan? Did we learn nothing from the many years that Russia was mired in that quagmire?
Lets invent a car that runs on water. Fill it up with a garden hose. Ed

Butch said...

I am totally with you. I recall when our "fearless leader" invaded Iraq and one of the representatives of the Central Intelligence Agency said that this war was not about oil. When that is the first thing to come across their lips, one can be assured that yes, it IS the reason we are there. Interesting that the day before the invasion, Saddam had threatened to change the currency from the dollar to the Euro. ( I think he actually did change it for only that day; we invaded the next day and changed it back to the dollar.) Again, interesting that we had soldiers protecting the oil plants and buildings whilst leaving the museums unprotected for them to be ransacked and pillaged of their antiquities. We showed our priorities early on in this war and even McCain tripped up recently saying that if he were elected, we would never "again" send our men and women off to battle for oil. Of course, he back-tracted when it was pointed out to him what he had said.

I could rant on this subject for longer than I care to do so, but all one has to do is look at the gasoline prices when Bush entered office and look at them now. There have been many oil fat cats made fatter off of all of this, thanks to Cheney and Bush. It is too bad I do not believe in a heaven or a hell. I think another Bastille day may be in order if these oil baron fools that run all the oil companies do not see the light. "Let them eat cake," indeed.

There . . . I feel much better after my own rant. ;-)

Lemuel said...

Preach it, brother!

Anonymous said...

This post had far too few F-words for the topic. Pepper a few in there and then hand it in to the professor. :) I believe that anyone who doesn't understand that the Iraq war is about oil is completely delusional.
-Rox

Doug said...

Bravo!

There's an electric/hybrid car called the Aptera coming out soon in California. I'm going to do everything I can to get one here in Florida. It's *worst* mileage rating is 130 mpg after it's exhausted its batteries.

http://www.aptera.com/

Anonymous said...

You're right, and to take it one step further... prices on everything else is going up because of the oil price. Inflation is crazy and the kicker is these prices WILL NOT COME DOWN AGAIN! They're up to stay.

Anonymous said...

I think they're slowly killing their golden goose. By driving up the price of gas, people will be more willing to find alternate options. Though these guys are likely smart enough to get ahead of the game and invest in developing those alternative technologies. In fact, they likely already have. They have the money to do it.

don said...

Then ask yourself, "What can I do today to change the situation"? I am absolutely going to leave the car at home and cycle to work today. Take that Mo Fo Oil Companies!

Anonymous said...

Want to blow a blood vessel? Read Edwin Black's "Internal Combustion". The big companies should be taken to task for what they've done.

Anonymous said...

I take it you don't have stock in the oil companies? Dude - why not - they are making billions!! ;-)

GayProf said...

Not only did the oil companies make record profits in 2008, they have made record profits every year that Bush has been in office. Gee, it was brilliant to put an oil-man into the White House. He really has the nation's best interests at heart.

Sadly, I have little faith in my fellow citizens to reject McSame.

Anonymous said...

The asshats in charge of the US are killing the dollar too, which is causing the rapid increase in the price of food staples. Are you guys getting reports of the world food riots up there?

I think that capitalism itself is the cancer.

Patricia said...

This is all the biggest example of, "Screw the future, I'm getting mine." It's utterly disgusting.

ChickenStrip said...

Well said!

Greg said...

Great post, Torn...screw your professors...it's a clear and simple argument. They say they're investing in new energy technologies with some of these profits, but I imagine their also investing in land to devastate for their new mansions and bigger SUVs and all.

Butch, the only reason McCain said there'd never be another war for oil is because he doesn't intend letting THIS one end!

("gofyr?")

Java said...

Looks like a well reasoned argument to me. Maybe you've improved your writing skills with age and practice.

And what ^they said!

justabamaguy said...

Well thought out and written viewpoint there Sticky Crows. Now if you could just help spread the word for those morons that just don't get what you and I both agree upon. But gee, I guess it's why Alabama is that way it is. I'm originally from Florida, does that count?

Greg said...

Hey, I've got fresh crows over at the Garden!

I can't wait 'til I've read enough of your archives to figure out just why it is *your* crows are sticky.

I have this sinking feeling it's something to do with poo...

; )

travelling, but not in love said...

My Best Girl Friend has taken a real easy-money job at one of the big oil companies recently. She claims to be an environmentalist, and says it'll be easier to 'change things from the inside'. Yeah right.

I'm secretly appalled.

Mark in DE said...

I agree with you 100%. It makes me nauseous if I think about it too long.

Mark :-)

A Bear in the Woods said...

American oil companies were the first multinational corporations, and American prosperity in the world is based on oil.
It's as though the American gov't is tangled up in a horrible embrace with Big Oil, and we're slowly going down together.