Thursday, August 30, 2007

Times are changing

You've heard of course that the only constant is change. Whether it's the seasons, the drama at work, the life cycles of plants or just the sky, changes are occurring all around us, all the time. I like to make it a game to see how many differences I can spot. This is an especially useful game if you're stuck in a (imaginary) rut. If you look out your window the very first thing in the morning, I guarantee you, you'll see something you've never seen before. Even a grey, overcast day is not the same as others. The particular gray pattern, lighter and darker patches stretching across the sky, the contours of the undersides of the clouds - see if you can find an animal in the swirls. Even sunny days, thanks to our seasons, will display a brand new arc traced in the sky by our most familiar fireball.

You can do this throughout the day, witnessing change in action.

I do the same thing (of course) with bowel movements. Both mine and sara's in fact.

If you watch and pay attention to the plants, the animals, the sky, the people and relationships around you, you will start to see patterns of change. These patterns will interlock and layer upon one another until you'll glimpse the whole wonderful interconnectedness of everything. (Some might say God.) You can only glimpse it though, if you could take it all in, your heart might explode.

* * *

It was mildly refreshing to see that America got it right. Albeit just barely.


18 comments:

Chunks said...

I wonder what the percentage of people believe in evolution.

You couldn't do a post without a dookie mention eh? hehe. That's why I love ya!

CoffeeDog said...

If we have 51% of the people thinking we are born this way, then we should have our rights by now!

dpaste said...

51%, eh? I guess that's good news.

Anonymous said...

I watched that show and was hoping the answer to that question was considerably higher. Oh, well. It might help to know where the people surveyed were located.

Anonymous said...

I think many more people believe gays are born that way but will never say so because like my parents they are religious and think if they admit gays are born that way they would have to admit God made us the way we are and God don't make mistakes.
I just saw a book in a catalog that I want to get Torn for Christmas. Humanure Handbook:Guide to Composting Human Manure

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Torn. I think the same thing, and it never ceases to bring me both solace and joy.

Patricia said...

well i'm glad you can see it as refreshing. to me, it's still depressing. i just wish the other 49% would pull their heads out of their asses and get with the program.

i was amused by your "sara no" and wondered what she got in to.

Anonymous said...

You just had to throw in a reference to dunk, eh? You're too funny, Torn.

I don't know... That 49% of Americans surveyed DON'T think people are born gay is a bit disturbing to me. But Ed makes a very good point above which I hadn't really considered before. It still bugs me that some still view being gay as a biological "mistake."

bardelf said...

Some people read the newspaper first thing o'the mornin'. Some folks consult their astrology before starting their day.
Torn? He checks his poops for interesting patterns, contours and changes!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cooper, that was beautiful.

What percentage of Americans are judgmental assholes? What, too bitter?

GayProf said...

I am really a "glass half empty" type of guy. The 49% leave me disturbed (not to mention the contestant's husband).

Quite frankly, I wish people would spend more time considering what makes people hetero.

I also was amused by the off-camera command given to Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Did they ask Miss South Carolina? Probably not, she was too busy looking for the USA on a map of the world.

Enemy of the Republic said...

It will improve (the percentage). Maybe I am naive, but as more parents have children who come out, they will have no choice but to understand that being gay isn't a choice like what to wear to work. I would like to think that the redeeming facet of the Bush regime is that people are sick of having ideology shoved down their throat while a stupid war goes on. So if Bush says homosexuality is bad, then hey, it must be good! Hell, what do I know?

Mark in DE said...

Ah, I can relax now that I've read my daily poop reference in Torn's blog. LOL - don't ever change!

Mark

dirk.mancuso said...

You couldn't help but sneak in a lil poo reference, you crafty devil.

Did you happen to catch BB's Amber on that game show Tuesday night? Mother of God...

dawn said...

Based on a poll of what? 200 people? In the year 2007 there is nothing refreshing about only 51%.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I think the biological mistake is going to be the fallback position for Evangelicals when the "it's all a choice" theory is finally and fully debunked.

Snoskred said...

What a lovely post. ;) Even with the BM reference. ;) Adding this to my weekly wrap up this week, mate ;)

Cheers!
Snoskred
http://www.snoskred.org/