Thursday, June 12, 2008

Getting off the boat now


Our last day of the cruise led us to Florence, Italy. It's too bad this wasn't among the first of our stops because frankly, we're a little museum and churched out. Still, that famous church where Dante, Michaelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli and others are entombed was impressive as was the Duomo and the statue garden where the exact replica of David is on display. We had a fabulous lunch off the beaten path at an outdoor cafe. If there's one thing Italians do right, it's the dining experience. Just avoid the touristy areas as there it's overpriced and rushed. This morning we're debarking (sounds like a canine surgery doesn't it?) and heading into Rome. We're going to try to catch the Pope around noon (I mean why not, it's Sunday and we're staying near the Vatican) and maybe hit the Coliseum before checking into our hotel. Tomorrow is our last day and we plan to trip around the town eating and people watching. Maybe throw a coin in the fountain. We'll be home Tuesday night. I'll post a couple pics from our hotel if I can, otherwise from home. Until then...

13 comments:

don said...

Wonderful photo of you guys in Firenze. You look very nice and relaxed. I guess the vacation is working for you.
Bravo.

David said...

Color me J.E.A.L.O.U.S.

Java said...

Yes, you both look tanned and relaxed. Enjoy your final day in Italy and have a safe trip home.

Patricia said...

Italy is where I most want to visit. So to me, you saved the best for last. Happy Pope watching!

Anonymous said...

If I were a baser sort I might point out things like the fact that The Pope hates Gays and that one throws three coins in the fountain. Since I'm a live and let live liberal tree hugger, I'll just say you guys look rested and well. I expect a close up picture of this David statue I've heard so much about. Ed

Greg said...

And just what might you do with Il Papa if you catch him? What are you using as bait?

You both look very soothed and happy. Nice to see the effects of such a brilliant trip. Enjoy the last moments!

Anonymous said...

I think I need my eyes tested as I read "Throw a coil in the fountain" I briefly thought to myself, "For Christ's sake Torn, don't poop in the fountains there!"

Hurry home, Canada misses you!
-Rox

A Lewis said...

Ahh, you boys will be back to reality before you know it. Unless you decide not to come back. Send for your bags. They'll deliver them to you over there.

bob said...

Rome is wonderful. If you want a wonderful little hole-in-the-wall with tons of great food and wine (and v inexpensive), try Osteria del Rione.

http://tinyurl.com/6e89a5

bob said...

Erm, apparently I'm all about the wonderful today. Off to play with my thesaurus now.

Butch said...

Greg, there is a joke about the bait and I'm not going there! ;-)

You fellas look good, tanned and ending your journey in Roma. What a great holiday and it looks like you squeezed in as much as possible. Have a safe and uneventful journey home.

(M)ary said...

trying to catch the pope before noon...why not? you ask.
because the catholic church is conservative and intolerant.

i applaud your enthusiasm and positive attitude. i would have slept in and skipped the pope.

Anonymous said...

Not to jinx anything, but you guys have been having a great time with many things to do and see. I hope it was as fun and exciting as I think.