Tuesday, December 13, 2005

5 simple pleasures

As recycled from Epicurist and St Dickeybird:

1. Watching reruns of I Love Lucy. Over 50 years old and still funny and surprisingly current thematically. I just opened an early Xmas gift (I won't be here on Xmas day anyway) which was the first 3 complete seasons. I have only watched one disc (out of 17) and spouse is already tiring of it.

2. Observing thunderstorms, preferably outside. As anyone can tell you, I am kind of "out of it" during a thunderstorm, and go into a kind of trance where I can't focus on anything else. I want to SEE the lightning strikes, so I am constantly craning my neck and scanning the sky. It is a deep passion, however irrational.

3. When I can walk down to the Dairy Queen in summer and get the Banana Creme Pie Blizzard. The walk there with the anticipation, then the deliciousness, and after, the sated walk home. I think I did that 5 times this past summer.

4. When I happen upon an item I regularly buy that is on special 2 for 1. Such a thrill! For example last week, my frozen orange - tangerine juice I like was 2 for 1. (I practiced restraint though and only bought a dozen.) Does this make me an old fuddy duddy?

5. Hanging around the house with spouse. Each of us doing our own thing yet sharing the musical environment.

5 comments:

Snooze said...

Great list! I especially adore #3 just because it's so funny [to me] to think of Dairy Queen as such a treat now that we're all adults. That's a wonderful outlook you have.

Patricia said...

i swear to god we were separated at birth.
lucy is the best. fred kinda gets on my nerves but hey, he gets on ethel's nerves, too, so i'm in good company.
i find thunderstorms amazing, as well.
i thank god i am not within walking distance of a dq. seeing them open in the spring literally makes me happy.
my store here calls it BOGO. buy one get one. but i swear, for weeks, i'd see the sign that said BOGO tuna and i'd think, what the hell kinda brand name is BOGO? it's a thrill, nonetheless.
and the last one. perfection.

jjd said...

#4: you are an old fuddy duddy if you also try to use a coupon on top of the sale.

I'm with you on #3,#5, and when I'm feeling sick, #1 always comforts me.

Anonymous said...

Hell, those all sound like heaven!

I relate the the T-storms and Dairy Queen.

epicurist said...

2 is so on my list.
5 is just so cute!