Saturday, December 03, 2005

Saturday morning blah blah

Only three more weeks until vacation. This is all that's keeping me going right now. In addition to the work schedule, I've got to finish the exams and evaluations, figure out Christmas and cards (no decorating this year, cards half done, gifts half bought) and get ready for the trip. Then I got my notice this week that I am to appear for my citizenship test and oath taking on December 12. According to the literature, I can miss no questions. They give you a little book to study, and insist that you find out who your local city, provincial and federal representatives are. (I still don't know mine yet) The test has questions such as:

What were the three main industries that helped the settlers thrive in the Atlantic region?
(fishing farming and shipbuilding)

What date did Nunavut become a territory?
(some day in 1999, I forget which)

Completely useless information if you ask me. I think some more useful information to know would be how to file a tax return, or how to make poutine.

Then, if when I pass the test, I immediately attend the oath taking ceremony and receive my citizenship card. This is when I have to pledge allegiance to the Queen of Canada, who is really the same person as the Queen of England. I am able to keep my US citizenship, and it would only be jeopardized if there were a change of policy or a war or something.

So now I've got studying to do as well.

What else? Got a busy weekend of chores ahead. It's cold again and windy. Brrrr. Vacation is coming.

8 comments:

Snooze said...

When I became a Canadian citizen I had to take the test verbally in front of my citizenship judge. He was extremely unimpressed that I was bombing on my rights and duties as a Canadian citizen. I got the rest though. The funny part is is that I've lived here since I was 2, and had the highest marks in my class. So much for the Canadian school system preparing its citizens. Good luck with it and welcome to being official - cool that it's just in time for the next federal election.

Anonymous said...

Eeeew, swearing your allegiance to a royal! Eeeew, swearing it to anyone not in your immediate circle!

Eeeeeew!

_Psycho said...

Geesh talk about a stupid test, I couldn't answers these questions myself. useless like you said. Who care about Nunavut.

Good luck on the test, well it's only in 10 days.

My friend who just finished his training for his prison guard job say they do a totaly useless speach in case on emergency and finish by "and god save the queen" something stupid ;)

Adam said...

Swearing your allegiance to a bejeweld monarch is so much more fabulous than swearing it to a flag and a nation thats "under god."

Nicole said...

Swearing allegiance to anyone is disgusting. Why is it that they expect new citizens (in America alike) to know more than the people who were born there?

r said...

Em... you so funny.

Good luck with the studying Torn, I know you'll do fine with it; aren't you the one who knows all the 2-letter words in the English language?

This will be a piece of cake.

Cheers.

MamaKBear said...

Good luck!! Sounds like you'll need it!

Have you ever taken a look at the questions on a test for U.S. citizenship?? My gosh, I was born here and probably couldn't answer most of them!

St. Dickeybird said...

I'm glad I was able to avoid the test when I re-gained Canadian citizenship.
I would have failed the history miserably, proving my Canadian-ness.