Tuesday, March 18, 2008

At least she smells nice

Sara did a dastardly thing after I gave her a bath Sunday. She did her usual tearing all over the house snorting and wiping her face on the floor, the couch, her bed, the carpet. I took a video of it. Watch if you like, it's not necessary for the story, such as it is.



I was just putting down the camera and heading over to the pantry to get her reward cookie for being so good in the bath when I heard a very bad sound. I whipped around to see her squatting on our new(ish) carpet in the living room and peeing! I shouted, which is stupid of me since she doesn't really hear. At the same time, I went directly to her and swatted her behind while she was still peeing, a big puddle accumulating on top of the tightly crowded carpet fibers. I ran to get towels but by the time I got back with them it had soaked in. Serge heard the commotion and came running back in from the office, assessed the situation and said, "Awww, she got too excited." Which is probably true. All those prickly sensations of fur drying her skin must have made her forget where she was. I don't think it was vindictive, I've seen her pee out of vindictiveness before (marched right up to where I was sitting, looked me in the eye and squatted right in front of me) and this didn't seem like that. Even so, she lost her cookie privileges for the rest of the day. And now her shedding is even worse, as it always is right after a bath.

Dan sent me some information on a treatment for shedding dogs, in the form of a pill. It looks like it's just a bunch of vitamins, but the testimonials, if true, make me want to get some. Has anyone ever heard of or used Zanimo products? I'm a little skeptical of, well, everything really, and since they want me to feed her four tablets a day, I need to be fairly sure it will help before I embark on that. She sheds seven to eight months a year and it's always worse now as we head into spring.

Spring, Ha! I took this shot yesterday since it was bright and sunny. It looks like they turned this fountain on too early in a downtown courtyard.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara looks like a puppy. She may squat on that spot when your not there. They like to go on the same place all the time.
I used to have a German Shepherd named Lady. She would hate to get a bath but afterwards she would roll around and as soon as she got outside she would roll in the dirt. Ed

Birdie said...

Sara looks like a Lab, and they're famous for shedding constantly from their thick fur coats. The only real cure is brushing. Use a comb before and after baths and it really cuts down on the fur bunnies. The advantages: you're not changing her body chemistry, she's getting loving attention, and her coat will shine.

She's a sweetie! Who's a good dog? Are you a good dog? Yes, you are!

Lemuel said...

I know you are into other levels of literature, but, thinking of Sara, have you ever read Marley and Me?

Jeff said...

Oy. Dastdardly indeed! Dogs, eh. LOL. We never bath ours until they can be let outside to dry off (and snort and rub) immediately afterwards. That will be another 3or 4 weeks this year! My dream house has a dedicated dog washing station just off the mud room!

dpaste said...

Sarah says: love me love my fur.

I don't tolerate peeing. Serge sounds like the spoiling parent with you as the disciplinarian.

Patricia said...

I love the post-bath wild attacks. Indi had a doozy Saturday, too. I'm not sure I'd want to try an anti-shedding medication. I mean, shedding is natural, right? Comes with the territory, and even though it's messy I'd be worried about trying to change something that happens for a reason.

Woolite Oxy is good for spot cleaning carpet. After that, I use a neutralizer spray that is supposed to take away any lingering odor that might make them want to revisit their "accident" spot. I used this when Indi was a puppy and still training. Now I use it for the occasional puking episode.

Anonymous said...

I agree that brushing is the answer instead of medication.

You guys are sweet parents!

Lacey said...

what birdofparadise said...

don said...

Pauvre Sara, who wants to go outside to pee in that frigid yard, especially when your hair is wet. She is so cute.

lattégirl said...

My dogs never did the post-bath snorting and tearing around. They used to just shake themselves and otherwise look miserable, as though I'd submitted them to a terrible form of torture.

Sara is awfully cute, although the peeing is less amusing.

Nice shot of the fountain icicles - what brilliant bureaucrat thought it was a good idea to turn it on in MARCH?!!!!

Cooper said...

I wouldn't give her anti-shedding pills. They MUST contain more than only vitamins, and with Sara being such a grande dame, you don't want to start interfering with her biochemistry.

Two days ago it was -16 and snowing ... again. I give up.

Rox said...

Maybe since Sara has slowed down in her golden years, it's her way of showing her excitement like Serge says. I'm with everyone on the pills, I'd skip them. Brush her lots.

Tazzy sheds a ton this time of year. I've thought to cut his hair all off but then you're choking on short hairs shedding rather than scooping up the long ones. Choking on short hairs sounded disgusting. Sorry.

Daddy Cool said...

I love the after bath crazy. My Nemo does the same thing.

Greg said...

Em loves to tear around when she's fresh and clean...and she can't wait to daub a little something nasty behind her ears once she is.

Sounds like this was a happy accident: "I'm so clean! I'm so happy...I'm running around my house. Oops, I peed."

Anonymous said...

We have two labs and shedding (especially in the Spring) is out of control. We found this brush that is basically a metal loop attached to a handle with a serrated edge on one side...when we brush the dogs with that thing, the hair just falls off. I looked everywhere on the internet for an image of it, and I can't find one, but I'll keep looking. It's been the best thing ever - and they love getting brushed with it.

ERICA

Anonymous said...

Go to a farm supply store for the brush. I think it's called a Curry Comb. Ed

Anonymous said...

Be sure and get a rubber one and not a metal one which is only for horses. About 6 dollars on line. Ed

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I'm extremely allergic to most dogs but I did find that there are dogs who don't shed.

I might actually get a Maltese. They're cute little dogs, approximately puppy size, highly intelligent, and fun. You just have to groom them occasionally.

But Sara looks like she's a happy dog.

dantallion said...

Poor Sarah...

The pic is beautiful, and a little bit encouraging after the pigs-breakfast of a winter we've had. Thanks for posting it.

Summer said...

I wouldn't give her the pills, you never know the side effects and shedding isn't life threatening. I'm constantly picking up tumbleweeds shed by our dog Cody. Love the post bath video, ours loves to rolls in the grass after a bath.

Anonymous said...

I doubt any pill can stop a dog shedding just as I doubt any pill can make that dog not be cute. In both cases, it's just her nature.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Hello up there to LBB!

I haven't been blogging, but I wanted to see how you were. With the upcoming elections, my son asked if we could move to Canada. I suggested Montreal, but he wants to go to Vancover.


Hope you and Serge are well.

Mark in DE said...

Ah yes, the joys and trials of 4-legged family members.

Mark :-)

Unknown said...

I looked everywhere for a picture of what we use on our two labs - it works wonders! It seems like it kind of hurries along the process of shedding; we use it almost every day during the spring when they're shedding the worst. It doesn't look like it would do anything, but it's great! It's called a shed blade:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=786