Thursday, March 20, 2008

Modern prefix

Oh boy, last work day of the week. Serge and I both have four days off starting tomorrow and nothing planned. It's supposed to be cold all weekend so we'll probably do a lot of puttering. Maybe some painting and spring cleaning too. Yesterday during my morning break I took a stroll through the job fair down at the convention center. I'm not really looking for anything, except maybe something temporary for the summer. Ugh. It was all retail or sales. Two things I'm pretty much never going to do. I don't really want to do anything that requires me to urge people to part with their money. The Best Buy booth cracked me up with their slogan: "Where work is having fun!" I would have been intrigued by that 20 years ago, but today I'm just cynical. Let's get real, work is something everybody does because they have to. Sure there are exceptions, but the generalization holds true.

McDonald's was there. Shudder. And there were people at the booth listening to the HR rep gushing about the team spirit of the company. They get a free employee meal at every shift! As I was leaving, I was thinking about how McDonald's is so ordinary yet ubiquitous. How the "Mc" prefix is now being used to mean "ordinary yet ubiquitous" as with the term McMansion in the US. Then I saw a pigeon and thought, "McBird." Then I started thinking about what else this could apply to. McCheese would be American cheese I suppose. The Toyota Echo strikes me as McCar, and these days the girls with the blonde streaks are wearing a McHairdo. What are McShoes? Anything from Payless? Crocs? Two parents and two children would be a McFamily, and if the children are spoiled, they'd be McKids. I'm sure y'all can think up some more, so have at it in the comments.

15 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

You must not watch Grey's Anatomy because you left out McDreamy and McSteamy. They are two of the males docs on that show.

Let's see what I can make up.

I have to take a Mcshit. That Big Mac made me Mcvomit. I'll have the Mcmartini. I'm tired and I need some Mcsleep. Before I go to sleep I think I'll Mcmasturbate.

I like the Mc game!

Birdie said...

McPaper: USA Today

Dang. I'm braindead; I'm sitting here a complete blank otherwise. I'll be back!

Lemuel said...

Some of us "below" are taking to call McCain by the name of McSame or McBush.

Patricia said...

Awww, you've forgotten that McCheese was the Mayor of McDonaldland. Big McError.

Anonymous said...

The new crossbreed dogs are Mcpups. A boring meeting at work might be a Mcmeeting. Politicians give McSpeeches. Have a McHappy day and come back McSoon! Ed

My adventures said...

One of the funniest things I've seen was at Mikey D's years ago. Someone had breakfast, left the wrapper on the table fully opened and had written across it with a black marker. It said "Get McFucked". I laughed all the way to work that day.

bardelf said...

Enjoy your four days off!
McFun!

Polt said...

No matter what anyone comes up with, they'll never be a McTornwordo, cause you are ANYTHING but ordinary! :)

Enjoy your days off!

HUGS...

don said...

And of course McCoffee, there are at least 4 Starbucks within blocks of my flat. McMediocre, McBurnt, McScalded McGrande

Rox said...

I drive a McMinivan. Yay for me!

GayProf said...

CoG is probably a McBlog.

lattégirl said...

The obvious one, which was spawned by uniquitous McDonalds, is McJob, which of course means employment in any fast food joint.

Word McVerification: guopgkhl

Mark in DE said...

HA! That was McFunny!!! Great post, as usual.

Spouse & I also have the next 4 days off with nothing specific planned, save spending Easter with the family.

Mark :-)

A Lewis said...

Hey, don't snub Best Buy until you see if they'll give you a discount on merchandise....and it seriously beats out McD's anyday. Some of the best service I've had lately was in a BB store. Amazing, but true!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love me some Best Buy...but I don't want to work there, discount or not.

Ordinary yet ubiquitous, eh?

Guess, that would make me a Mc 'mo.