Monday, March 24, 2008

Weekend Update

It was a lovely Easter day. Spouse painted the other half of the bedroom and then we took a stroll through the national home show. We wouldn't have gone except that I had a two for one entry coupon. I don't really understand this principle of paying to go in to be hounded by people hawking wares. Shouldn't I be paid for that? You could tell where all the big profits were by the quantity of vendors. Central vacuum cleaning systems must be all profit because there were at least a dozen different booths for that. Oh and exterior spas. They had some of those at 25 grand, wait for it, plus tax and installation. Spouse bought a set of sheets. I stole a pen.

Today's the day I go buy all the Reese's peanut butter eggs for half price.

The last day of a long weekend is so bittersweet. Sweet because it's another day off, bitter because it's the last one. It's been the same with the weather this weekend. The sun beckons us outside and then the icy wind slaps us in the face. I suppose spouse will put a second coat of beige (to offset the dark brown) in the bedroom and I will try to finish the ribbing on the socks I'm knitting. (I use the present continuous "am knitting" very loosely. The socks were started at Christmas.) There was one accomplishment for me, I finished the book I was reading, "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. This was a lovely read about a man's underprepared and humorous attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail. I love his bitter take on progress in America, where if it's bigger and uglier, it's better. Perhaps today I'll pick up the next book in my pile, "Eat, Pray Love." And certainly I'll be doing my best not to think about tomorrow when it's back to the grind.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's time to start melting that snow. Do you pronounce Appalachian as Apple-layshun or as Apple-latch-un? I've heard the natives use the latter one.
Love what you do, do what you love. Still time off once in a while is very good. Enjoy your day and don't eat too many Reese's eggs. Ed

dpaste said...

I dread going into the office today to see the pile of unwanted Easter candy that others will undoubtedly make available. It all looks so tempting but it's such crap. I rarely can bring myself to eat it.

bardelf said...

To answer anonymous' question, in North Carolina the mountain range is pronounced Apple-latchun.

Sounds as if you guys had a relaxing weekend, torn. Enjoy today!

Patricia said...

Oh how I love that you're going for the Reeses!

I'll be curious to hear your opinion of E,P,L. I loved it, I know others didn't like it. In either case, prepare to crave pasta for the first hundred pages.

Doug said...

I love Reese's! I didn't know they made eggs, though it makes perfect sense.

I feel the same way about the last day of a holiday.

don said...

It's nice that Canadians have Easter just like Americans do.... Saw this exchange on another blog that I read.

Happy Easter Keri! (gosh...I don't know if Easter is celebrated in Canada when it is celebrated here, but if it isn't...too bad...Happy Easter anyway!!)

Posted by: Sue | March 21, 2008 at 09:28 PM

hey Sue...easter is the same all over the world..jesus died when he did..cant change that.

happy easter

Posted by: keri | March 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM

GayProf said...

I am so with you on waiting until the day after to buy the candy.

We have were not granted an extended weekend...

Anonymous said...

It's windy here too. The sun is shining though, a good day to curl up in the sunbeam with a book.

Patricia is right, the first part of E,P,L is all about the pasta! (I'm curious to see if you liked it, I did not, although I did enjoy the pasta part.)

-Rox

Anonymous said...

I'm on Atkins and missing one of the biggest holidays of the year: Chocolate Goodness at Half Price Day. I've been celebrating this holiday for years and I still feel the pull of my local pharmacy today.

I don't understand the people who buy, for example,those Honda stickers to put in the window of their Hondas - it's backwards - paying them to advertise them.

RJ March said...

I'm so jealous of your knitting. I came across a gigantic plastic storage tub in the garage, filled with half-crocheted blankety-type things.

Ugh, and I'm painting again. R couldn't live with what I thought was a lovely color in the kitchen. So be it. I'm up to my ears in, God help me, "Cowgirl Blue."

Anonymous said...

I read "A Walk in the Woods" quite a few years back before I section hiked part of the A.T. It was a good read and parts were really funny but if you enjoyed that one, I would really recommend "There are Mountains to Climb" by Jean somebody or other. You can google the title and it'll come up. Anyway, awesome book!

Been to those home shows too. I always prefer the Auto Show though...not because I want a car but it's so much fun to look at all of the "not-good-enough-for-New York" models in their tacky polyester outfits and critique them. I'm a bitch.

Java said...

I love Bill Bryson's work. I had an audio book of his, read by him, a few years ago. My daughter "stole" it, and haven't seen or heard it since. She used to play the tapes as she went to sleep. Maybe that's why she's so literate now.
I have not read "A Walk in the Woods." I'd no doubt like it. I'm trying not to get any more books to read until I've made a dent in the huge pile of books waiting to be read.

ChickenStrip said...

Hope it was a grand last day.

Knit me some socks, will you?

travelling, but not in love said...

I just got back from my 'spring' trip to Montreal. Jeez you guys have it cold there....

I loved the Reeses Eggs ad campaign - it was something like "we feel sorry for the easter Bunnies - they're just so empty inside..."

Greg said...

The Reeses Eggs are even better than the peanut butter cups, IMHO. And priced to sell now! Enjoy!

Mark in DE said...

I love that you buy 1/2 price Easter candy the day after, just like we do. And I love, love, LOVE Reese's peanut butter eggs. Hands down - they're my favorite.

Mark :-)