Friday, March 07, 2008

Hawaii '93 part 3

It is Honolulu at the beginning of summer. The heat is constant. All day long, billows of mist waft down from the highlands, the rainy side of the island claiming a bit more than its usual territory. The mist does little more than humidify the air which makes it heavy and viscous. Shade is the only acceptable outdoor location. Days are spent lounging at the beach in the shade adjusting the resting place every now and then to avoid the sun's march across the sky. The town is full of bargain hunters like us, taking advantage of low-season rates.

The bars were pretty dead overall, though there was ONE place to go on the night we were there. We decided to all check it out out en masse. That's how we ended up going to a straight club where I was forbidden to enter because I was wearing a tank top. (Next to Waikiki Beach, in Honolulu, Hawaii. I thought that bore repeating.) Men were not allowed to enter "sleeveless" whereas women seemed to be able to enter naked. The bouncer refused to see my logic with "if women are allowed to enter sleeveless, so should men be" so I went down the block and bought a garish tourist tshirt for $5 and gained entry. This was my first brush with wild drunken straight vacationers at a club. It was horrid. Packed with wide eyed young men commenting on the bodies of women writhing around them. I was embarrassed for the women whose garments were shed in congruence with rising blood alcohol levels. An alarmingly attractive girl approached me, took my hands and placed them on her breasts and said, "Wanna dance?" I was saved by my workmate who said something about her being a dog and me being the wrong tree. I couldn't wait to get out of there so I bid my friends farewell and told the gay guys to meet me over at the other place later if they wanted. Oh right, it was called "Hulas". In the end, the way the universe plays such things, the gay guys never came to rejoin me.

I went in and it was totally dead. A few old men at the bar staring at a tv, and a few smokers out back on the patio. I noticed Jeff, at least I thought it was, at the service bar and went to sit down outside and smoke. Even though only ten days had passed, so much had happened on vacation that I didn't even have a clear memory of what he looked like. That he was short, I remember, and then he appeared, just like that as I was trying to visualize him. He smiled broadly and said, "You came back. I didn't think you would." I ordered a beer and then he brought a coworker over to say, "This is the one I was telling you about." He tried way too hard to be macho, a common ailment of the short, but I found it charming the way he almost pulled it off. It was established early on that this was my last night in Honolulu and we played a little game of what if. What if we went to my place and ate a late candlelight supper and talked until dawn? What if you're married and have three kids? What if you're rich but not telling me? What if you were THE ONE and we only had tonight to find out? On and on like that and it was quite simply, thrilling. He worked the sparse tables as I sipped beer and waited for him to finish. It was delicious, the banter and the silent spaces to ponder the banter, each of us knowing somewhat how this evening was going to end. Can you fall for someone in an evening? I don't know, I don't think I did, but it was really not logical to contemplate a Hawaii-California relationship. A vacation romp, that's all it was to be in my head.

When he got off (work, ahem), we went to his place, a very small closet dressed up like a bachelor apartment, drank wine, ate pizza with candlelight, and slowly, trying to savor everything, devoured each other. It's got to be one of the top five nights in my life. We slept little and when we did, it was all spooned up on the single bed. In the morning he made breakfast and we exchanged phone numbers and addresses. Turned out he was from San Diego and planned to return there. He hadn't mentioned this before because "he didn't know me yet." Can you know someone in an evening? I don't know, I don't think he did but he carried on anyway starting up the what if game again. What if we bought a house with a white picket fence and got a dog? What if we opened our own bar and made it fabulous? What if we only have to wait six weeks to see each other? I kept it light but was troubled by how exciting the prospect was making my heart race. That afternoon, we left to come home. The gang was pissed off at me for having disappeared the night before and the gay guy who had a crush on me was sharpening his bitch claws, indignant that I would sleep with such a "lowlife" who worked in a bar. "He does that every night, you know."

For two weeks I didn't contact him. Phone calls were expensive and what?, it was all about sex anyway, let's just see what happens, maybe that San Diego thing was just pie in the sky. Then I received a very nice card and letter and a picture inside so "I wouldn't forget him." Trying to look all manly again. It was cute, here I'll show you the one souvenir I have, and so I called him and we had a long talk about his upcoming plan to go to San Diego. He was returning to college and we'd be two hours drive apart. He wouldn't have a car. No job, no car? Where will you live? Oh yes, at mommy's. And then it sounded rather dreary and complicated so I started to feel a bit lackluster about having a real relationship. Sure I wanted to see him, and I knew we would, but then what? I took a wait and see attitude. Two weeks later I went to Hong Kong unexpectedly for a six-week work assignment. I made no contact with him while I was there. Unfortunately for him, I met Serge the second day in Hong Kong and as you know, we've been forever since.

When I returned from Hong Kong, he called me and chewed me out on the phone for being incommunicado. He was here in Southern California, and he wanted to know when could we get together. Feeling rather cornered, I told him what had happened, that I had met a guy in Hong Kong, that he was moving here to be with me, that it just happened out of the blue and that's why I hadn't contacted him. "I changed my whole life for you! To come back to California, I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't met you!" He cried angry tears, but I remained aloof and just, "Sorry, I didn't plan it this way, you're a great guy and you'll find someone, and you never know, if this thing with Serge doesn't work out..." He seemed really heart-broken and I felt bad for him but I was too in love, fresh off the whirlwind weeks of romance with Serge and after all, he and I had only had one night together. Can you fall in love with someone in one night? I don't know, but I think he may have.

25 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Wow, he moved for you? I guess I'm not all that shocked, you are indeed a catch.

I moved to Atlanta for a woman. I came down here to party with friends one weekend and met her. I fell head over heels in lust / love, and made plans inside my head to come back to Atlanta for Pride. I contacted her before Pride and she invited me to stay at her house!

Long story short - in the end we broke up, but I stayed in Atlanta and have always been thankful that I got out of Ohio and stayed out.

Anonymous said...

You would never have met Serge if you were in love with the other guy. Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you through...Que Sera, Sera! Ed

My adventures said...

The answer is yes! I did and 14 years later, almost to the day, it's over! But, what fun and I wouldn't change a thing, well, maybe my divorce settlement but nothing else!! HA!! Great story and so timely for me...

ChickenStrip said...

Things happen for a reason. Glad you and Serge found each other!

Anonymous said...

Now I feel bad for the guy. He fell for you in a day the way you fell for Serge. Lucky you... not one, but two people have up and left their life for you.

I wonder what he's up to now.

Being the one not loved back really sucks.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can fall in love in one night, but it isn't always meant to last. But ahhh, the memories!

don said...

Please forward your castoffs my way! Love his beefy legs. Yum!

Birdie said...

I'm going to commit Boomer blasphemy here and say that the Beatles were wrong: Love is NOT all you need. That poor soul made all those plans without telling you a thing. Heartstruck but blinded by dreams. I hope he found The One as you did in Serge.

You tell a compelling tale, Torn. I hurt for him and cheer for you.

Polt said...

What a fantastic, captivating storyteller you are.

I've "falled in love" with many a vacation one night stand. Even had a few of those great evenings where you spend all night getting to know each other, knowing that you'll probably never see them again.

I do feel a bit sad for your waiter guy, and I feel bad for you that he made you feel bad. But then I think: You got Serge out of the deal, so in the end, it all worked out!

HUGS....

GayProf said...

That was quite a night.

Sometimes we disappoint other people. Sometimes we are the disappointed. Just occasionally does it all click into place.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you eventually found your life-partner and one can only hope that your waiter friend found his.

Life is so full of twist and turns. You never know where the path may lead! It takes courage to follow your heart.

Patricia said...

the retelling of the tale was great. it's just that toward the end, i found myself thinking, yeah yeah whatever vacation guy, you met serge in hong kong?!.

way to leave us wanting more.

dpaste said...

Ouch. That hurt.

He was cute. I'd do him, too.

TED said...

It's always so much better to be the rock than the shipwreck.

Snooze said...

Beautiful story and I especially loved this line: He tried way too hard to be macho, a common ailment of the short, but I found it charming the way he almost pulled it off.

So true about short men - so true.

Anonymous said...

I'm a hopeless romantic but no, I don't believe it's really possible to fall in "Love" in one night. Then for him to try to make you feel guilty for him moving back to CA, well, that's just stupid! From my own experience, I'd rank bartenders right up there with politicians when it comes to trustworthiness.

Rox said...

I'm with Kevin, sort of. I believe you can fall in love in one night HOWEVER, the whole trying to pin his moving back to California thing on you? That was a guilt trip honey! Glad you didn't buy a ticket.

Maybe Kevin and I are just jaded. Could be.

Anonymous said...

I just finished all three installments of Hawaii '93. Fascinating. It makes me want to go.

I expected a little more detail on the nude beach. Was it really that uneventful?

Oh, this dude you met. He sounds great. But he's no Serge!

Anonymous said...

How was that Hong Kong assignment anyway?

Lacey said...

heartbreaker!

Cooper said...

As a chaser, I'd love to hear the story of how you met Serge in Hong Kong!

dantallion said...

I love this story. Particularly the unexpected trip to Hong Kong that resulted in "I met Serge the second day in Hong Kong and as you know, we've been forever since."

Tony Adams said...

Fascinating.
We look back over our shoulders while running

Greg said...

"we've been forever since"...what a beautiful thing to say, and even better to live!

For my part, I'm pleased to say that sometimes the vacation guy turns out to be the forever man!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* strong emotions. Your story telling is so vivid. I'm only 22, and I look out at my life and how I've tried to plan for things for years down the road... but maybe I'll fly to Hong Kong unexpectedly and meet "the one." Like, really, who knows what's going to happen. Life's so crazy. And random. And.. powerful.
I love your blog so much!