Thursday, February 12, 2009

Title of blogpost

It's the 12th today so I suppose I should take a bunch of pictures for 12 of 12 but it's a rainy day and I'm working all day so I think I'll skip it this month. We'll see. I didn't post yesterday because I had nothing to pontificate on. Not that today is much different mind you, but since I don't teach until 9:30 this morning, I've got some time to check in here in blogaritaville. Am I allowed to use that word you coined Kevin? I did get kind of excited yesterday when I read in the paper about Tourisme Montreal hiring a bunch of bloggers for the tourist season to vaunt the city to the world. They even have a spot for someone to cover the gay scene. Although that intrigues me, it would mean that I'd have to attend all the circuit parties and that just makes me tired to even consider. I'm much more interested in covering the dining scene but there are already a bunch of bloggers up here doing that. Still, I would LOVE to get paid to go out to eat and do interviews with chefs and make videos of hot restos around town. If I had the money, I'd probably do it anyway.

I did a preliminary run on the taxes over the weekend. Ugh. Although I make chump change, and you'd be aghast if I told you how little I make, I still have to pony up a fourth of it. Since I work on contracts, I don't have anything taken out of my pay. Now it's time to pay the piper. We turned a small profit on the buildings which kind of sucks since last year we had a big loss (we replaced doors with a bit of money from the refinanced mortgage) and that made our tax burden quite small, though I still paid thousands. What's really ridiculous is that the US wants money from me too. Even though there is a tax treaty between the two countries, if you're self employed, the states want you to pay them too. So ridiculous. I mean what am I getting for those taxes? As I reread this, I'm seeing a lot of buts, even thoughs, stills and sundry other contrast introducing connectors. I wonder if I speak that way too.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you make a small income I make less but still it doesn't matter the tax man cometh. Since you've lived in Canada for a long time I can't see the need to pay taxes in the country south of where you live so therefore don't do it. As for the states wanting to collect a tax from you I say, "there are people in Hell wanting a drink of water too but it ain't gonna happen". Word Verification: mandies--as in candies for men? ed

Java said...

Mandies = undies for men

So, the tourist season in Montreal, that would be January-February, right? To see how Montreal really lives! Actually, from all the pictures you posted last summer I'm impressed with the city and how well it shows itself off in the summertime.

Happy 12th.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, it could be worse. A lot of contractors have to pay quarterly down "her" in USA, since the gov doesn't want to wait for your money. Altho maybe if you did qtrs vs. annum, it wouldn't be so painful?

Be kind to yourself. Taxes and death often seem cruel and unreasonable; it's human nature to complain. Sure, others may have it worse, but that shouldn't negate your own feelings.

Rox said...

Yesterday in Peaceful Town I saw a little old lady driving a minivan and it had bumper stickers plastered all over it saying "Taxes are Illegal" and "Death to Taxes" and "Eat Alberta Beef". Anyway, this post kind of reminded me of that. :)

I've got you beat, I make NO money! It's really the only way to avoid paying taxes. (Although Derwood pays his share and then some!)

don said...

You only have to pay 25% of you income in taxes? Lucky you!

dpaste said...

Crap! Forgot about 12 of 12 again. Guess I'll have to do something silly and semi-creative when I get home tonight.

GayProf said...

And Bank of America wonders why people are upset about tax money being paid to their CEO's obscene salary.

Anonymous said...

Bit of advice on the U.S. self employment bullshit. Setup an S-Corp in the U.S. and make all monies payable to the S-Corp. Be the major shareholder in that S-Corp too.

Then pay yourself dividends based upon your share investment. Nobody says the dividend can't exceed he share price.

Then the self employment tax doesn't kick in. Every year you make the S Corp loose money too as that loss can be transferred to your personal income. Talk to an accountant for more info.

Anonymous said...

From the many postings of your blogs, I believe your ARE a contrast introducing connector!

Anonymous said...

Don't they need a blogger to talk about all the best rest room facilities?

Good luck with the taxes. Some month I will remember the 12/12 thing. You'd think I could keep it in mind; it's my favorite number.

Anonymous said...

Darlin, you can use whatever word you want but I can't take credit for that one! I believe I took it from Roxita Bonita first.

Oh! I've got a poop story for you!

Mark in DE said...

Now you know why the US sent you that economic stimulus check last year - so you can give it back to them when you pay your US taxes. I agree; completely ridiculous.

Rick Bettencourt said...

You complaining about taxes? How else to support all those big government initiatives? : )

Jess said...

I agree with Don. 25% isn't bad for someone who is self-employed. Currently, I just do the regular income tax thing, but in the years when I was "self-employed," the taxes were crushing. In addition to federal and state income tax, I had to pay both sides of social security/medicare tax. The total was huge.

Sorry the US is hitting you, too. I hope it's a small percentage!