* It's true, suitcases shrink when you travel. Maybe they are related to time?
* More money is always spent than what has been budgeted.
* Unless you're trekking in Nepal or Africa or some such place, your bank card is all you need.
* The pictures in your mind are always better than the ones in your hand.
* The same fun can be had, be it 100 miles, 1000 miles or 10000 miles away. That's because vacation is, more than anything, a state of mind.
* Sometimes vacation doesn't lend itself to relaxation. That's okay. Go with it.
* The after vacation glow-slash-sadness is one of the greatest things in life. The definition of bittersweet.
* In England, they call it "holiday".
* Permanent vacation is oxymoronic. Like the first throes of passion and falling in love, the intense feelings of pleasure become, by and by, tempered and flattened.
* You can sometimes get a little burst of "vacationitis" by visiting your workplace on your day off.
* Vacation can induce debauchery. Let it!
* Vacations are also memories to be jumped into again and again:
* The smell of tortillas being made in an open air market of Toluca, Mexico. The roast suckling pig turning on its spit in the window of a Toledo Spain restaurant (the baby head and eyes staring at you). The gyrations of the bartender in Hong Kong as he poured the house special into the waiting mouth of a girl spread out atop the bar (this done from his pants in an oh so thinly veiled recreation of ejaculation - and this to a crowd of screaming westerners).
* The snow crab in Gaspé, the date shakes of Indio, the baguette bought in a village shop in northern France (don't ask me which village, there are a bazillion).
* Tours of Hoover Dam, Heineken factory, the palace of Versailles, Havasupai, the Carlsbad Caverns.
* My body covered by bug bites at Lake Havasu, my brother throwing up in the lobby of a fine Spanish hotel, breaking down in the middle of the desert, the threat of jail while enjoying libations in an Ensenada tavern. (Even disasters provide golden memories.)
* Only one day left and I'm outta here!