Sunday, July 22, 2007

On being both ugly and stupid

It looks like we're going to get stuck with an open apartment in August. Dangit. The (super cute, so I'm told) prospective tenant who applied before our vacation has now vanished. There wasn't time to sign the papers before Serge left for California and since our return, the guy has now proved "flaky". This has been a source of marital discord all week with the final resolution being that spouse will pay me if this guy doesn't work out. (There was another prospective tenant and I kept saying let's give it to him, but Serge felt he had to honor his verbal agreement to rent to the cute guy. All I know is that if you really want an apartment, you show some money.)

Yesterday morning I got up and left the house at 8 to be at Canadian Tire for opening. I did not look good yesterday morning. I woke up feeling all puffy. I felt so puffy that I took a picture of myself. When I saw it, I laughed and felt grateful that spouse doesn't tease me for the morning hideousness.


Anyway, I went to Canadian Tire to pick up wireless speakers for half price. I brought the box home, followed the instructions to set it up and, well, nothing. Absolutely nothing. Neither the transmitter nor the speaker seemed to work. So I boxed it back up and took it back for another. When I returned it, the guy asked me all sorts of questions and I just kept replying, "It doesn't work, it's broken. I'd like another." He finally let me exchange it and marked "not-defective" on the paper. I brought the new one home and set it up. Again nothing. Spouse was just rising and asked me, "Did you turn it on?" I answered that there is no "on" button, that the instructions said to just plug it in. He walked over and pushed a button and the whole thing hummed to life. Apparently, they skipped this part in the instructions, perhaps being too obvious. I felt pretty humbled (and by that I mean that I felt like a fucking idiot) that I had gone through all the reboxing and returning process for nothing.

It's not for naught though. Now we have music anywhere we wish in the house, including outside on the patio. I love it!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you can buy speakers for your house at a place called Canadian Tire? I seem to remember a Hotel room and you not being able to turn a lamp on and Serge walking over and pushing a button.
You do look a bit puffy but I'm sure it is temporary. Perhaps a bit of Jet lag?

Doug said...

I guess the guy at the store is pretty dumb, cuz he never asked about it being turned on, and he's supposed to be knowledgeable about such things.

Everyone looks less presentable sans makeup. I'm a fright before my morning powder.

bardelf said...

I'm sure that even Einstein had his 'stupid' days.

Well, it's not your best photo, sweetie, but I really appreciate how honest you can be by showing it to us. I don't think I would dare show a photo of myself first thing o'the morning.

You guys just hang in there with the unrented apartment and don't let it become a big sore spot between you.

Anonymous said...

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday, too. I bought a mitre saw. (I am making and putting in new baseboards). That is a wonderfully honest pic, and I love you all the more for it.

I agree with you about the potential renters... Show me the money... lol

GayProf said...

Wireless speakers are great! I used to have a set and they were incredibly useful -- you could entertain anywhere.

I am not sure, though, that they would be worth getting up at dawn or rushing to the store at opening time. Were they expecting a rush on them?

Devo said...

You got yourself some puffy Angelina Jolie lips there. I always admire the ability to unashamedly show both good and not so good photos of oneself on the blog. Of course, knowing how the post them is more than half the battle, is it not?haha. Sounds like something I would do with the whole "they just don't work" thing. haha. Hope it all works out with the apartment. Cute doesn't pay the rent;)

r said...

Wireless speakers? Wow. I might need those. Meaning, I want, I want.

I especially love the pouty face to go along with the puffiness.

I'm impressed you posted it. Now I'm just waiting for the first person to say, "You still look HOT." :)

Chunks said...

LOL Rebekah! Ba-zing!

It's always a bit of a shock when you see what you actually look like in the morning, isn't it? It's amazing we have spouses at all, baby! lol!

I have a whole rant about "Instructions and the Morons Who Write Them" somewhere in the back of my mind. And Crappy Tire is chock full of people who know next to nothing, so there.

Spider said...

The problem is, you are neither of these two things - you are just very honest - which makes you all the more special!

Anonymous said...

if the cute guy was there, had a chance, and didn't put a down on the apt, then I would not think you need to honor your verbal.

But in the long run, I hope the discord vanishes quickly. After all you have each other, and it is quite obvious from the post that Serge knows how to push all the right buttons. ;)

S said...

Let's just blame the 'defective' product on your morning puffiness. Ok?

LSL said...

This post hit me just right and had me laughing for fifteen minutes. Thanks :)

Jeff said...

awwww... thats one of the first things we are told to ask when dealing with tech help- 'is the unit plugged in and turned on?'
glad you got it to work though!

Polt said...

I'd worry more abuot ridicule over the "on" button than about morning puffiness! :)

HUGS...

A Bear in the Woods said...

hat's a face that crying out for a kiss, if ever I saw one.

Patricia said...

i swear there was something in the global air on saturday, just threw the whole planet off kilter!

oh how i love the story of the speakers. live and learn. and be reminded of it in the future by spouse if he's anything like me.

dantallion said...

The "not turning it on" thing (or it's equivalent) has happened to everyone at least once.

As for the pic, I didn't recognise it as you at first. Nonetheless, I think it looks kinda sexy in a "let's-curl-up-in-bed-with-a-coffee-and-newspaper-and-ease-into-the-day" kinda way.

Sh@ney said...

We all have mornings where we look & feel crappy...Guys would chew their arm off to get away from my morning look...hehe
Music anywhere - sounds awesome!

dawn said...

Uh, yeah, the ol' push the "on" button trick. Works every time. How much do I LOVE that you returned it and everything. Awesome.

Bigg said...

Nobody said it after Rebekah's comment, so I will: "You look hot in the morning," and forget the 'still' part.

dpaste said...

Dontcha just love moments like that?